Sample program for JES dataset read?
2018-05-11 00:29:29 UTC
Is there a sample program - say in SYS1.SAMPLIB or on the CBT tape (yes, I
looked) - that shows an example of how to allocate and read a JES spool
dataset?

How to do this, in other words: https://ibm.co/2IbrcGV

Steve Smith
2018-05-11 14:14:53 UTC
I'll trust that your look was as good as mine would be. Maybe it's
considered too elementary to sample.

Oddly, I wrote such code eons ago, like on MVS/XA. It used some SSI
requests for information, then basically proceeded as that link describes.

sas

2018-05-11 15:43:38 UTC
Is there a sample program - say in SYS1.SAMPLIB or on the CBT tape (yes, I
looked) - that shows an example of how to allocate and read a JES spool
dataset?
How to do this, in other words: https://ibm.co/2IbrcGV
If Rexx is a suitable alternative, look at Rexx examples in the SDSF manual.
The interface does not require TSO: it's equally usable under Unix System
Services.

The scheme is to drill down through JobID, stepname, procstepname, to
DD name. SDSF then allocates a generated DD name to that spool file.
An example reads from that to EXECIO DISKR (STEM. I modified it to
LINKMVS IEBGENER after I overrode SYSUT1 to the name SDSF generated.

2018-05-11 17:27:48 UTC
Thanks. Possibly useful. Not sure at first glance if too "SDSF-specific" or not.

I would not be writing in Rexx but Rexx serves just fine as a "pseudo-code" language.

Kirk Wolf
2018-05-11 20:48:14 UTC
The only slightly tricky thing is the dynamic allocation, that that is
pretty straight forward for the primary subsystem.
You can even use __svc99() in the C library and then fopen("//DD:ddname",
....)

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com
Post by Charles Mills
Thanks. Possibly useful. Not sure at first glance if too "SDSF-specific" or not.
I would not be writing in Rexx but Rexx serves just fine as a
"pseudo-code" language.
Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin
2018-05-11 22:10:50 UTC
Perhaps I am over-complicating it. (I am just thinking; have not written any code yet.)

I think I can use BPXWDYN() for that matter.

I am assuming that I can come down to fopen("//DD:ddname");

2018-05-14 13:13:06 UTC
I've checked it out. There are a lot of moving parts among all of the interfaces; I was hoping for one complete sample. I have it working now (and without using SSI, so far).

FWIW, yes to BPXWDYN() and yes to fopen("//DD:ddname").

The OP should check out "Using the Subsystem Interface".