whois.ibm.com - gone
Add Reply
Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
2017-10-11 14:42:05 UTC
It would appear that the whois.ibm.com site that was very useful to find contact info for any IBM employee has been removed. Does anyone know if there is a new url for that service?

Lionel B. Dyck <><
Mainframe Systems Programmer - TRA

Dana Mitchell
2017-10-11 16:18:43 UTC
I can't find anything that works anymore.... I used to use www.ibm.com/whois Everything I try now redirects to the contacts page. That's too bad, that was a handy service.
2017-10-11 16:30:28 UTC
Yea, my link is 404 now

Maybe IBM is no longer publishing employees to the public

Though it looks like if the employee has a BLOG that might be useful.

Behalf Of Dyck, Lionel B. (TRA)
John Eells
2017-10-11 18:32:40 UTC
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
It would appear that the whois.ibm.com site that was very useful to find contact info for any IBM employee has been removed. Does anyone know if there is a new url for that service?
I sent a note asking what happened to it. I'll let the list know if I
get a response.
--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie

zMan
2017-10-11 21:01:58 UTC
There aren't enough employees left to justify its existence!

Either that or it broke and there's nobody left who knows enough about
programming to fix it.
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
It would appear that the whois.ibm.com site that was very useful to find
contact info for any IBM employee has been removed. Does anyone know if
there is a new url for that service?
I sent a note asking what happened to it. I'll let the list know if I get
a response.
--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie
zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"

Edward Gould
2017-10-12 00:44:24 UTC
Post by zMan
There aren't enough employees left to justify its existence!
Either that or it broke and there's nobody left who knows enough about
programming to fix it.
I would bet on your 2nd option.
Face it, IBM is sliding down the hill to bankruptcy.

Ed

Jack J. Woehr
2017-10-12 03:25:25 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
I would bet on your 2nd option.
I bet it's more like, "Do we want every @$$4073 on the planet to be able
to importune our folks for free consulting?"
Post by Edward Gould
Face it, IBM is sliding down the hill to bankruptcy.
IBM is going to rule the world starting in 5-7 years when they announce
the first commercially marketable quantum computer.
--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe

Doug Fuerst
2017-10-12 02:54:21 UTC
They probably moved it on site. Can't have that remote style pesky
stuff you know....
:-))

Doug Fuerst
Principal Consultant
BK Associates
718.921.2620 (O)
917.572.7364 (C)
***@bkassociates.net

Tony Thigpen
2017-10-12 03:01:37 UTC
They have really messed up their web sites in the last two years. Using
Doc online now just about impossible. And, many times, they don't even
give an easy to find PDF download option. (I have found that going back
up the manual chain will sometimes give you the option.)

Lately, a lot of Google links to IBM sites just get that pesky 'not
found' screen.

I wonder if they outsourced their web stuff to India? :-)

Tony Thigpen
John Eells
2017-10-12 11:01:25 UTC
Post by John Eells
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
It would appear that the whois.ibm.com site that was very useful to
find contact info for any IBM employee has been removed. Does anyone
know if there is a new url for that service?
I sent a note asking what happened to it. I'll let the list know if I
get a response.
It is gone permanently, I'm afraid. DSTM, please.
--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie

Edward Gould
2017-10-12 12:28:27 UTC
Post by John Eells
Post by John Eells
It would appear that the whois.ibm.com <http://whois.ibm.com/> site that was very useful to
find contact info for any IBM employee has been removed. Does anyone
know if there is a new url for that service?
I sent a note asking what happened to it. I'll let the list know if I
get a response.
It is gone permanently, I'm afraid. DSTM, please.
John,

DTSM there are several acronyms, one of which is gross and I don’t think you are talking about Santa Monica. Please elaborate.
Thanks,

Ed
Post by John Eells
--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie
John Arwe
2017-10-12 20:07:36 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
Post by John Eells
It is gone permanently, I'm afraid. DSTM, please.
DTSM there are several acronyms, one of which is gross and I don’t think you are talking about Santa Monica. Please elaborate.
I believe JE's intended meaning is:

Don't
Shoot
The
Messenger

John Arwe
z/VM devt

Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
2017-10-12 14:02:28 UTC
About a few weeks ago, I tweeted saying I found a page within ibm.com that allowed looking up an IBM-er's contact info by just inputting their last name.

I'd like to believe this was because of me (!!!), but only IBM knows what really happened :)

- Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure

It would appear that the whois.ibm.com site that was very useful to
find contact info for any IBM employee has been removed. Does anyone
know if there is a new url for that service?
I sent a note asking what happened to it. I'll let the list know if I
get a response.
It is gone permanently, I'm afraid. DSTM, please.

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie
***@us.ibm.com

MARKSANDSPENCER.COM
________________________________
Unless otherwise stated above:
Marks and Spencer plc
Registered Office:
Waterside House
35 North Wharf Road
London
W2 1NW

Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

Dana Mitchell

Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
2017-10-12 12:23:29 UTC
DTSM - don't shoot the messenger

But I think another explanation is that whois.ibm.com is now DTSM - dark side of the moon

2017-10-12 13:33:25 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
Post by John Eells
It is gone permanently, I'm afraid. DSTM, please.
DTSM there are several acronyms, one of which is gross and I don’t think you are talking about Santa Monica. Please elaborate.
Thanks,
Try DSTM, instead.

Phil Smith III
2017-10-12 14:22:49 UTC
They have really messed up their web sites in the last two years. Using Doc
online now just about impossible. And, many times, they don't even give an
easy to find PDF download option. (I have found that going back up the
manual chain will sometimes give you the option.)
Lately, a lot of Google links to IBM sites just get that pesky 'not found'
screen.
I wonder if they outsourced their web stuff to India? :-)
I think so. A month or so ago, I heard about a z14 event on the wrong coast.
So I went did some searches, wound up at https://www.ibm.com/events/ and
searched for "z14". Which gets you 104 results-none of which are actually
about the z14. So this is the new, premier product, yet it's not findable.
Brilliant.

I opened a ticket, and got a response:

Thank you for contacting IBM.

We are in receipt of your e-mail regarding the IBM z14.

For information about the IBM z14, please visit the below link:

<https://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/pages/z14?Open>
https://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/pages/z14?Open

If this is not the information you are looking for, please resend your
e-mail with additional information such as:

- the detail description of the request

- kind of assistance you are looking for

Thank you for visiting our site and contacting IBM.

Responded to that, pointing out that it didn't answer my question ("Where
are the z14 events?") and noting that they should be a wee bit more
interested in a failure of basic site functionality. That got the automated
response and then nothing.

Mentioned it to a friend with POK connections. He forwarded it to an IBM
Fellow, who pushed it up the chain, but:

xxx just called back after talking with several maroons within the IBM
marketing cog. He is confirming, that for all practical purposes, all IBM
websites are now supported externally by sub-contractors. Many of these subs
have zero knowledge of or about IBM other than what they are told and so
they implement and walk away.

I've been an IBM fan for over 40 years; I've made my living off of IBM
systems for almost that entire time (since 1980, minus about a year during
the dot-com bubble). Sadly, at this point I'm hoping they survive until I
retire. Makes me feel physically ill.

.phsiii

Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
2017-10-12 17:05:38 UTC
Errr what?
I'm sure you noticed that I'm not from IBM?
An IBM employee wouldn't tweet an IBM 'situation' out to the world.

PS: Someone who's a bit rubbish in their job doesn't need be from India for it to make sense. As if the entire rest of the world is 100% correct and perfect all the time.

IBM has been making a lot of changes to their sites in the recent past; cut them some slack. Whether this was a mistake or not, people are allowed to make mistakes (as long as they then learn from it). Deal with it.
If this was a service you were very reliant on, contact your service rep.

– Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure

Edward Gould
2017-10-12 22:08:44 UTC
Post by Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
Errr what?
I'm sure you noticed that I'm not from IBM?
An IBM employee wouldn't tweet an IBM 'situation' out to the world.
PS: Someone who's a bit rubbish in their job doesn't need be from India for it to make sense. As if the entire rest of the world is 100% correct and perfect all the time.
IBM has been making a lot of changes to their sites in the recent past; cut them some slack. Whether this was a mistake or not, people are allowed to make mistakes (as long as they then learn from it). Deal with it.
If this was a service you were very reliant on, contact your service rep.
– Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure
Yes people make mistakes but they correct the problem as soon as they are made aware of it. That is the way I have been taught since kindergarten. *ITS* your responsibility. to fix things that you broke.

Ed

zMan
2017-10-12 22:16:35 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
Yes people make mistakes but they correct the problem as soon as they are
made aware of it. That is the way I have been taught since kindergarten.
*ITS* your responsibility. to fix things that you broke.
That's so last-century. Everyone is exceptional, and it's not "broken", it
just has a different perspective. If someone else doesn't like it, *they *can
fix it!

(Yes, tongue firmly in cheek, lest ye think I've completely lost it)

2017-10-12 17:32:34 UTC
Post by Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
PS: Someone who's a bit rubbish in their job doesn't need be from India for it to make sense. As if the entire rest of the world is 100% correct and perfect all the time.
No offense intended; I merely was amused by a coincidence in your
surname, an earlier somewhat prejudiced ply which I quoted, and
that in your otherwise excellent English (it might be your first
Post by Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
I'd like to believe this was [not? -- gil] because of me (!!!), but only IBM knows
what really happened :)
I believe walls, trade barriers, and the residue of the Mason-Dixon Line
are Bad Things. If employees overseas were compensated fairly, according
to ability, there'd be no incentive for companies to move jobs offshore.
The pernicious "cheapest bidder" effect would remain as powerful locally
as internationally.

Apologies for whatever political content,
gil

Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
2017-10-12 17:47:17 UTC
That statement was for people who tend to point fingers.
Note that at least in the mainframe world, we have to fill savagely huge shoes and it's not the easiest job in the world, considering the bigger picture (that only we are 'lucky enough' to see).

">>I'd like to believe this was [not? -- gil] because of me (!!!), but
Post by Sankaranarayanan, Vignesh
only IBM knows what really happened :)"
Meant it as I said it (without the 'not').
Just found it slightly amusing that something I said may have caused IBM to take down a site. Very unlikely, but an amusing prospect nonetheless.

– Vignesh
Mainframe Infrastructure