z13s IOCP with FTP issue
Add Reply
Rob Schramm
2017-08-03 13:29:29 UTC
Listers,

I am having an issue attempting to use FTP to import the IOCP for a new
z13s machine. I can ping the z/OS box that the FTP server is running from
the HMC and the SE. But when I click " ", I get "File not found on remote
machine. Recheck the file name, and try again.

My only real complaint, is that there is no log of errors to see what is
happening. My other question is has anyone actually retrieved the IOCP
deck from a z/OS machine?

Thanks,
Rob Schramm
--
Rob Schramm

Carmen Vitullo
2017-08-03 13:35:13 UTC
Ping only proves the stack is up I think, not that the FTP server is up?
I've done this about a year ago when we upgraded to z13s, we loaded or had the SE load the initial IOCP from a thumb drive, maybe you can try that, the only successful ftp I've done was reloading (importing) the ICC configuration

Carmen

2017-08-03 14:42:12 UTC
I was never successful in the past with FTP. Relied instead on a thumb drive, which worked great but required physical access to the new box.

For our z13s, a colleague was able to get FTP to work. I'm fuzzy on how he did it, but I think he piggybacked on some outbound but closely connected hardware that not everyone has.

Tony Thigpen
2017-08-03 15:13:42 UTC
I use FTP all the time. Some tricks:

1) The ip address has to be available from SE laptop in the cpu. If you
have the connections between the HMC and the SE on a isolated network,
then the ftp box has to also be on that same isolated network.
2) The 'case' for all items must be correct. Userid, password, and file
name.
3) The file name must include the full path. Since the patch can change
depending on what the ftp server considers the user's 'home' path, you
need to understand how the user is defined on the FTP server.

We use a cheap mini-nas box for storing IOCPs and ICC convfigs.

I have not tried using z/OS as the FTP server as we don't have it on the
private HMC-SE network. But, I would expect you would have to be
concerned with normal z/OS FTP stuff, like how the FTP server handles
adding or not adding the userid to the front of the file name.

Tony Thigpen
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2017 6:36 AM
2017-08-08 20:41:29 UTC
Post by Tony Thigpen
1) The ip address has to be available from SE laptop in the cpu. If you
have the connections between the HMC and the SE on a isolated network,
then the ftp box has to also be on that same isolated network.
We have our HMC on an internal company network so it can be accessed
from anywhere, even remotely via VPN. Is there any good technical reason
why the SE can't also be on that network for better access to FTP
servers in our organization? I realize that having the SE on a separate
private network might be better security, but that caused some grief
recently. We needed to import an IOCDS into our z13, but that file was
in our headquarters office. Because port forwarding isn't enabled on the
HMC, so we couldn't get access to the FTP server hosting the IOCDS.

Tony Thigpen
2017-08-08 22:17:48 UTC
We don't let *anybody* into the network between the HMC and the SE. Too
many SEs have default passwords on some of the 'special' IDs that can
not be easily changed.

We bought a small two-nic nas box and placed it on both the SE network
and the company network. IOCPs and ICCs go to it as an interim location.
I.E., copy the IOCP to the nas. Then, access the nas via the company
network. You could just add another nic card to your FTP server, but
make sure that the server has all routing turned off.

Also, we set the default route on the SE to 0.0.0.0. An additional
protection against anybody getting into that network segment.

Tony Thigpen
Jousma, David
2017-08-09 11:05:33 UTC
There are some reasons why you would interconnect the SE's with your company network. In our environment, each SE has 2 lan adapters. One going to private network, one going to company network.

1) If you use BCPII in System Automation, there has to be IP connectivity between the LPAR's and the SE's
2) If you are in a multi-cec environment across separate data centers, and you want to define all CEC's to all HMC's for redundancy, then you have to attach your SE's to your company network.
3) If you use an appliance to provide NTP time to your mainframes, the SE's need connectivity to the company network to reach that appliance.

Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President
***@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

Post by Eric Chevalier
Post by Tony Thigpen
1) The ip address has to be available from SE laptop in the cpu. If
you have the connections between the HMC and the SE on a isolated
network, then the ftp box has to also be on that same isolated network.
We have our HMC on an internal company network so it can be accessed
from anywhere, even remotely via VPN. Is there any good technical
reason why the SE can't also be on that network for better access to
FTP servers in our organization? I realize that having the SE on a
separate private network might be better security, but that caused
some grief recently. We needed to import an IOCDS into our z13, but
that file was in our headquarters office. Because port forwarding
isn't enabled on the HMC, so we couldn't get access to the FTP server hosting the IOCDS.
For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN **DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

R.S.
2017-08-04 08:21:41 UTC
Post by Rob Schramm
Listers,
I am having an issue attempting to use FTP to import the IOCP for a new
z13s machine. I can ping the z/OS box that the FTP server is running from
the HMC and the SE. But when I click " ", I get "File not found on remote
machine. Recheck the file name, and try again.
My only real complaint, is that there is no log of errors to see what is
happening. My other question is has anyone actually retrieved the IOCP
deck from a z/OS machine?
(Maybe it was already answered, but it's not a crime to help again)

You need very specific network connectivity to do that . Your Support
Element is connected to a HMC using "internal network", which is usually
isolated - only SE's and HMC are in this network. And you have to
connect this network to another network where your ftp server reside.
That also allows to "Load from DVD or ftp server" - of course in the
part of ftp.

HTH
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

Treść tej wiadomości może zawierać informacje prawnie chronione Banku przeznaczone wyłącznie do użytku służbowego adresata. Odbiorcą może być jedynie jej adresat z wyłączeniem dostępu osób trzecich. Jeżeli nie jesteś adresatem niniejszej wiadomości lub pracownikiem upoważnionym do jej przekazania adresatowi, informujemy, że jej rozpowszechnianie, kopiowanie, rozprowadzanie lub inne działanie o podobnym charakterze jest prawnie zabronione i może być karalne. Jeżeli otrzymałeś tę wiadomość omyłkowo, prosimy niezwłocznie zawiadomić nadawcę wysyłając odpowiedź oraz trwale usunąć tę wiadomość włączając w to wszelkie jej kopie wydrukowane lub zapisane na dysku.

This e-mail may contain legally privileged information of the Bank and is intended solely for business use of the addressee. This e-mail may only be received by the addressee and may not be disclosed to any third parties. If you are not the intended addressee of this e-mail or the employee authorized to forward it to the addressee, be advised that any dissemination, copying, distribution or any other similar activity is legally prohibited and may be punishable. If you received this e-mail by mistake please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your e-mail software and delete permanently this e-mail including any copies of it either printed or saved to hard drive.

mBank S.A. z siedzibą w Warszawie, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950 Warszawa, www.mBank.pl, e-mail: ***@mBank.plSąd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, nr rejestru przedsiębiorców KRS 0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88. Według stanu na dzień 01.01.2016 r. kapitał zakładowy mBanku S.A. (w całości wpłacony) wynosi 168.955.696 złotych.

Rob Schramm

Rob Schramm

Parwez Hamid
2017-08-09 13:10:25 UTC
I appreciate this discussion is about z13s etc, just wanted you to be aware of SE/HMC changes with the z14 announcement. Additional details in the z14 Technical Guide Redbook - SG24-8451

FTP Support Element through the HMC, Securely via Proxy

With this change the SE will no longer directly access FTP servers, but instead will do secure FTP communications between the HMCs and SEs. Secured via IBM-supplied certificates.
This enhancement also allows the SEs to remain on a 'Dedicated LAN' between the HMCs and SEs, and the FTP servers can be on the 2nd HMC outward LAN for Problem Call Home, automation, web browsing, etc.

FTP to HMC - List of updated tasks

System Input/Output Configuration Analyzer
Analyze Console Internal Code
Change Console Internal Code
Save Upgrade Data
Configure Backup Settings/Backup Crit. Console Data
Load from Removable Media or Server
FCP Configuration
OSA Advanced Facilities → Manual Config Options
Export WWPNs
Audit log Scheduled Operations
Export/Import IOCDS
Save/Restore Customizable Console Data