Effect of SET PROG=xx
2017-05-15 23:25:39 UTC
This is the world's dumbest question if you're a sysprog but I'm a developer
with nearly zero sysprog experience.

Whenever in the past that I have taken a quick look at SET PROG=(xx,yy) I
assumed that PROGxx + PROGyy in the parmlib concatenation *totally replaced*
the contents of whatever PROGaa and PROGbb had been specified in IEASYSxx at
IPL.

But as I read the documentation now I get the impression instead that SET
PROG=(xx,yy) causes PROGxx and PROGyy to be processed essentially as scripts
each line of which incrementally modifies whatever is already in effect. In
other words, if I entered SET PROG=ZZ and PROGZZ was devoid of statements
other than comments then the system would be left unchanged, regardless of
what had been in PROGaa and PROGbb at IPL. If PROGZZ contained one APF ADD
statement, then that DSN would get added to the APF list, much as if I had
entered SETPROG APF,ADD,DSN=...; and every other system parameter would be
left unchanged.

Is my latter impression more correct?

(And yes, I'm contemplating playing with a sandbox system, not a production
system. I get that this is serious stuff. That's why I'm asking.)

2017-05-15 23:31:37 UTC
[...]
​You are correct. What you have in the PROGnn member is an "update" to
whatever. Anything which is not changed is left as it was. I do your APF
ADD type operation as my normal (via SET PROG=nn and not SETPROG
APF,ADD,...) Why? Because if it is correct, I can simply edit the
production PROGnn member and copy in the one which worked.
--
Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of
selling goods, particularly if the goods are worthless. -- Sinclair Lewis

2017-05-16 00:18:16 UTC
E3 88 81 95 92 40 A8 96 A4 5A

Tom Conley
2017-05-16 00:18:40 UTC
[...]
There are no dumb questions, only dumb developers. ;-) SET PROG is
additive, and yes, if you only have one line that is an APF ADD DSN,
then it will add only that dataset. If you add and delete lines from
your PROG00 member (assuming you start your system with that) which
contains only APF ADD statements, then the ADDs will be added, but the
ADD statements you removed will still be in APFLIST. To remove any
datasets from APFLIST, you have to issue an explicit APF DEL with SET
PROG, or SETPROG APF,DEL.

Regards,
Tom Conley

2017-05-16 12:45:24 UTC
Post by Tom Conley
only dumb developers
I like you too, Tom. I thought we were friends. <g>

I did realize where I got this dumb idea from. I'm more familiar with SET SMF=xx and that's how it works. SMFPRMxx does not add to what came before; it replaces it.

Jousma, David
2017-06-07 17:30:53 UTC
That is exactly one of the uses!

EDIT SYS1.PARMLIB(PROGDJ) - 01.02 Columns 00
Command ===> Scroll
****** ********************************* Top of Data ************************
000001 SETPROG LNKLST,DEFINE,NAME=LNKLSTNW,COPYFROM=CURRENT
000002 SETPROG LNKLST,ADD,NAME=LNKLSTNW,DSN=SYS1.DGA.SDGALINK,VOL=RSP21A
000003 SETPROG LNKLST,DELETE,NAME=LNKLSTNW,DSN=SYSV.SCI.CD.LINKLIB,VOL=RSP21A
000004 SETPROG LNKLST,ACTIVATE,NAME=LNKLSTNW

Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President
***@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

2017-06-07 18:02:17 UTC
Well now I am thoroughly confused. I am looking at Init & Tuning and those do not appear to be valid PROGxx statements. What am I missing? I see LNKLST ADD in I&T but not SETPROG LNKLST,ADD -- that's a console command, not a PROGxx statement, right?

Jousma, David

2017-05-16 13:13:55 UTC
This is the world's dumbest question if you're a sysprog but I'm a developer with nearly zero sysprog experience.
This is not a dumb question. Only wise people ask questions! ;-)
Whenever in the past that I have taken a quick look at SET PROG=(xx,yy) I assumed that PROGxx + PROGyy in the parmlib concatenation *totally replaced* the contents of whatever PROGaa and PROGbb had been specified in IEASYSxx at IPL.
Sort of 'replace', yes, but see my comments below.
But as I read the documentation now I get the impression instead that SET PROG=(xx,yy) causes PROGxx and PROGyy to be processed essentially as scripts each line of which incrementally modifies whatever is already in effect.
True.
Is my latter impression more correct?
Yes. Look at these two I did in the past:

PROGXX:

EXIT DELETE
EXITNAME(SYS.IEFUTL)
MODNAME(IEFUTL)
LPA DELETE MODNAME(IEFUTL) FORCE(YES) CURRENT

Later after assembling a new IEFUTL, I did this:

PROGYY:

LPA ADD MODNAME(IEFUTL)
DSNAME(SYS??.LPALIB)
EXIT ADD EXITNAME(SYS.IEFUTL) MODNAME(IEFUTL) STATE(ACTIVE)
DSNAME(SYS??.LPALIB)
I'm more familiar with SET SMF=xx and that's how it works. SMFPRMxx does not add to what came before; it replaces it.
True.

What I usually do is:

I create a brand new SMFPRMxx. Modify the DSNAME or whatever (remove IEFUTL for example) and then do my SET SMF=xx. When finished, I issue my SET SMF=xx last used in IPL.

All in all, I don't touch the *official* live PROGxx and SMFPRMxx members.

Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2017-05-16 13:18:16 UTC
Behalf Of Elardus Engelbrecht
Sent: 16 May, 2017 15:15
Post by Charles Mills
This is the world's dumbest question if you're a sysprog but I'm a
developer with nearly zero sysprog experience.
This is not a dumb question. Only wise people ask questions! ;-)
No, wise people are here to answer questions, fools to ask questions. Sometime they ask questions that even 1000 wise men cannot answer.
;-)

Kees.
For information, services and offers, please visit our web site: http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered number 33014286

2017-05-16 13:42:22 UTC
Post by Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
Post by Elardus Engelbrecht
This is the world's dumbest question if you're a sysprog but I'm a developer with nearly zero sysprog experience.
This is not a dumb question. Only wise people ask questions! ;-)
No, wise people are here to answer questions, fools to ask questions. Sometime they ask questions that even 1000 wise men cannot answer.
;-)

Hahahahahaha! Point taken <grin>

Ok, but the wise persons have all the ANSWERS after they got them. Them fools who don't ask just stay SOL.

For those questions where 1000 gurus can't answer at all - I have one simple answer. It is called 'middle finger'! ;-D

Ok, time for a really serious joke:

It is today my grand-grand-grandfather's birthday. I am very proud to say he manly and alone destroyed the whole german army communication system during world war one!

What did he do? He ate the postal pigeon!

To be sure those germans don't have a backup - he also ate snails - thus no snail mails for them too...

;-D

Now returning back to my scheduled z/OS topics.

GreenGA
2017-06-07 18:31:15 UTC
I concur... SO I did something about it.

Years ago I developed just such a capability. I used an MPF command processor (EX ... (as in EXecute) command member) with a generalize REXX that processes commands, via an STC, (the REXX). It has some interesting features and such.

From any console or authorized SDSF/TSO Ussr, the way it works is...

For example

ex ATLVTSON (which execute the following operator commands:

SETCMDDELAY 1
SE 'Varying ATLDST01 online.',CN=&S.ICCMAST
VARY SMS,LIB(ATLDST01),ONLINE
SETCMDDELAY 5

SETCMDDELAY 1
SE 'Varying ATLNAT01 online.',CN=&S.ICCMAST
VARY SMS,LIB(ATLNAT01),ONLINE
SETCMDDELAY 5

SETCMDDELAY 1
SE 'Varying ATLVTS01 online.',CN=&S.ICCMAST
VARY SMS,LIB(ATLVTS01),ONLINE
SETCMDDELAY 5

SETCMDDELAY 1
SE 'Varying A800-AF0F online.',CN=&S.ICCMAST
VARY (A800-AF0F),ONLINE
SETCMDDELAY 5

SETCMDDELAY 1
SE 'Varying B100-B10F online.',CN=&S.ICCMAST
VARY (B100-B10F),ONLINE
SETCMDDELAY 5

SETCMDDELAY 1
SE 'Varying B110-B113 online.',CN=&S.ICCMAST
VARY (B110-B113),ONLINE
SETCMDDELAY 5

D SMS,LIB(ALL),STATUS,L=&S.ICCMAST

----

or

ex SYS&S.DOWN (how we shutdown our various LPAR's (I could post the commands for those that have an interest.