IBM HTTP Server powered by Apache - very erratic responding to modify and stop commands
Add Reply
Jantje.
2017-12-06 12:28:54 UTC
Dear Listers,

I am migrating from Domino Go to IBM HTTP Server powered by Apache. So, I set up an STC and can start that very well. I did include the

LoadModule zos_cmds_module modules/mod_zos_cmds.so

directive (well, it was there already in the sample httpd.conf) in order to enable the MODIFY and STOP commands.

Now, I find the server to be very erratic in responding to modify and stop commands. It is already an automation challenge to find out to what process one has to send the commands, but that is not what I am complaining about. Indeed, even when I am 100% sure to have addressed the command to the correct process, only halve of the time it actually reacts to it. And even then, it does not always stop. I've seen cases where it responds with:

2017339 13:55:39.45 -P HTTPD1,A=005A
2017339 13:55:40.64 STC12796 BPXM023I (WEBADM) IHS is stopping
2017339 13:55:40.65 STC12796 BPXM023I (WEBADM) CRIHS0002I IHS TMMETEST is stopping.

but then just continues to run. In that case, the only way to bring the server down is to use the apachectl -k stop from a Unix shell...

Has anyone on the list seen similar behaviour?
Were you able to fix it?
How?
Am I entitled to a PMR?

Thanks and very best regards,

Jantje.

P.S. I tried my friend Google, with various combinations of the words stop, erratic, modify, not stopping, etc. and of course "IBM HTTP Server powerd by Apache". All to no avail. A search in the archives of this esteemed list did not yield an answer to my questions either.

Jantje.
2017-12-06 12:31:15 UTC
Sorry, forgot to mention:

IBM_HTTP_Server/9.0.0.4 (Unix)

on z/OS 2.2

Jantje.

Nims,Alva John , Al
2017-12-06 14:50:33 UTC
I too am in the middle of switching servers and I believe IBM says you have to use the "apachectl -k stop", because more than one instance of the WebServer is started, so the "apachectl -k stop" shuts all of them down.

Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer 3
UFIT
University of Florida
(352) 273-1298

Jantje.
2017-12-06 15:23:27 UTC
Post by Nims,Alva John , Al
I too am in the middle of switching servers and I believe IBM says you have to use the "apachectl -k stop", because more than one instance of the WebServer is started, so the "apachectl -k stop" shuts all of them down.
Well... That is indeed one possibility and from my testing it seems to work most (but not all) of the time. The issue I have with that approach is that it is not automation-friendly IMHO. A modify or stop command just ought to work.

IBM has written the apache module for it, shouldn't they just make it work?

And yes, I know, there will be multiple processes, but they are all under control of the master httpd daemon process. It should be able to find all it's children. I does when spoken to via apachectl, why would it not when spoken to via some other means of communication?

Michael Babcock
2017-12-06 19:39:40 UTC
Post by Jantje.
IBM has written the apache module for it, shouldn't they just make it work?
That module will write a message like this upon initialization:

BPXM023I (WASTST1) IHS is active. Use jobname HTTPDWS1 for MVS commands.

Do you see this message? If not, the module might not be active.

Chicklon, Thomas
2017-12-06 18:51:19 UTC
We run a number of PKI domains, each with their own web server. Had heard a tip back when we converted to Apache that if you use 8 character job names for the web server STC, a simple stop command against that name works just fine. So, all my web servers all have 8 character names and we never have any problems getting them to shut down.

Tom Chicklon

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

[...]

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN **CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.