How to erase TS7740 data before scrap
Carlos Bodra - Pessoal
2017-08-10 14:48:26 UTC
We are replacing IBM TS7740 with new TS7760 and need to do a Cluster Cleanup
(FC 4017 – This feature is a factory default button, clear all data, all
tables, etc..). IBM says that this feature is withdrawn and no more
available.

What can we use in place of it or any suggestion about how to clear data
from it?

Carlos Bodra

IBM System Certified System z

São Paulo - Brazil

2017-08-10 22:14:55 UTC
How are tracks provisioned?
If fixed provisioning, then ICKDSF TRKFMT CYL(0,14) CYCLES(1) will
write b'00000000', b'11111111', and b'01010101' or b'10101010' for the
full track for three erasing writes to each track. Increase 1 for
more erases. Erase all tracks in all cylinders of all volumes.
If dynamic provisioning, then erase all volumes with extra erases to
catch the excess capacity above the capacity of the volumes.

Edward Gould
2017-08-11 00:33:20 UTC
Post by Mike Schwab
How are tracks provisioned?
If fixed provisioning, then ICKDSF TRKFMT CYL(0,14) CYCLES(1) will
write b'00000000', b'11111111', and b'01010101' or b'10101010' for the
full track for three erasing writes to each track. Increase 1 for
more erases. Erase all tracks in all cylinders of all volumes.
If dynamic provisioning, then erase all volumes with extra erases to
catch the excess capacity above the capacity of the volumes.
Mike,

I think it depends on ICKDSF and which command is used to format the volume.
Its been 20 or 30 years since the 3380 came out but IMSM the fast initialize does it differently than the full initialize.
My memory is sketchy here but I *THINK* a EOF is written on each track if a fast init is used. I will defer to you on the full init.
I learned of the fast init from a good friend at the WSC. I started using it and never had awn issue.

Ed
Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2017-08-11 06:53:13 UTC
ICKDSF??? This is a Virtual Tape System, with an DS5000 as internal (hidden) disk cache.

Kees.
-
Post by Mike Schwab
Post by Carlos Bodra - Pessoal
MAIN
Post by Mike Schwab
For information, services and offers, please visit our web site: http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered number 33014286

Timothy Sipples
2017-08-11 00:47:48 UTC
The IBM TS7740 is a virtual tape library.

1. How about DFSMSrmm EDGINERS ERASE? Other media managers, e.g. CA 1, have
analogous functions.

2. If you have DITTO/ESA, there's an ERT (Erase Tape) feature that might
work.

3. You could completely refill the virtual tapes with new "data." Maybe an
endless repeating string containing your favorite poem?

4. There are some vendor products available, e.g. Dino-Software's XTINCT
and Innovation Data Processing's FATS/ERASE. Although please check with
them to make sure they can handle *virtualized* tape properly.

5. Supervised physical destruction and degaussing (of the disks) works.
However, this option is inconsistent with claiming all of your TS7740's
residual value.

6. Some combination of the above -- which would be prudent, I think, just
in case one of the methods didn't correctly and completely work. And when
you perform these tasks I'd do it from a system (LPAR) that doesn't have
access to any real data, and with the TS7740 completely removed from other
z/OS instances. From a "sysprog" LPAR, for example. I wouldn't try to do
this from a "production" LPAR, out of an abundance of caution. Also, please
be sure you aren't erasing your only copy of data that you still want to
keep! :-)

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: ***@sg.ibm.com