IBM does what IBM does best: Raises the chopper again
Add Reply
Mark Regan
2017-11-28 13:45:38 UTC
IBM does what IBM does best: Raises the chopper again No, we aren't talking
about helicopters. UK heads, offshoring....

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/28/ibm_gts_redundancies/

Mark T. Regan

Jack J. Woehr
2017-11-28 13:56:29 UTC
Post by Mark Regan
IBM does what IBM does best: Raises the chopper again
The first-ever layoffs that inaugurated the Gerstner era led to a
complete renaissance at IBM that endured up to and through the Great
Recession.

Maybe we're on the dawn of a new era. IBM is shedding the 20th century
and stepping into the 21st.

IBM is going to produce the first marketable Quantum Computer.
--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe

zMan
2017-11-28 15:44:04 UTC
Oh, Jack, you're funny!

There's nobody left there to make any breakthroughs, I'm afraid.
Post by Mark Regan
IBM does what IBM does best: Raises the chopper again
The first-ever layoffs that inaugurated the Gerstner era led to a complete
renaissance at IBM that endured up to and through the Great Recession.
Maybe we're on the dawn of a new era. IBM is shedding the 20th century and
stepping into the 21st.
IBM is going to produce the first marketable Quantum Computer.
--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe
www.softwoehr.com # with a fine understanding of human fallibility. - Carl Sagan
zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"

Jack J. Woehr
2017-11-28 19:22:14 UTC
Post by zMan
Oh, Jack, you're funny!
There's nobody left there to make any breakthroughs, I'm afraid.
You're obviously not following the IBM Quantum Experience.

Edward Gould
2017-11-29 21:55:30 UTC
The first-ever layoffs that inaugurated the Gerstner era led to a complete renaissance at IBM that endured up to and through the Great Recession.
Maybe we're on the dawn of a new era. IBM is shedding the 20th century and stepping into the 21st.
IBM is going to produce the first marketable Quantum Computer.
And who is going to buy it? The people interesting in WATSON … maybe. There is blood in the water.

Ed

Steve Thompson
2017-11-29 22:12:37 UTC
Quantum computing. Cognitive computing.

Back in 1990-95, as I recall, IBM had KT, ESE, TIRS, and IBM
Prolog for 370 (which ran on VM and MVS).

How many here know what any of the above products were?

Anybody ever have a copy to work with or know of any shop that
had one of those products in production?

I happen to know of two installations back in those days.

And so now IBM is pushing Cognitive computing, and talking about
Quantum computing.

It seems to me that the chopping block is being used to cut costs
in an effort to have a positive Earnings Per Share -- while
buying as many shares as they can.

Yeah, there is blood in the water.

Regards,
Steve Thompson
Edward Gould
2017-11-29 22:34:53 UTC
Post by Steve Thompson
Quantum computing. Cognitive computing.
Back in 1990-95, as I recall, IBM had KT, ESE, TIRS, and IBM Prolog for 370 (which ran on VM and MVS).
How many here know what any of the above products were?
Anybody ever have a copy to work with or know of any shop that had one of those products in production?
I happen to know of two installations back in those days.
And so now IBM is pushing Cognitive computing, and talking about Quantum computing.
It seems to me that the chopping block is being used to cut costs in an effort to have a positive Earnings Per Share -- while buying as many shares as they can.
Yeah, there is blood in the water.
Regards,
Steve Thompson
The latest buzz word is education on the computer. IBM tried that 40 years ago and it was an abysmal failure. Pretty soon they are going to make a pizza making MF.
Now, how do you deliver a 20 ton computer with a flat top to a neighborhood that has narrow streets?

Ed

Anne & Lynn Wheeler
2017-11-30 00:26:01 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
The latest buzz word is education on the computer. IBM tried that 40
years ago and it was an abysmal failure. Pretty soon they are going to
make a pizza making MF. Now, how do you deliver a 20 ton computer
with a flat top to a neighborhood that has narrow streets?
prior to gov. legal action, IBM steep educational discount and there was
IBM mainframes in lots of universities ... then with the 23June1969
unbundling announcement ... those educational discounts went away.
past posts/refs
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#unbundle
recent post referencing ACIS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017j.html#76 A Computer That Never Was: the IBM 7095

with relaxing of gov. pressure in the early 80s, IBM tried to get back
into educational market, setting up ACIS ... initially with $300M for
giving away to educational institutions ... MIT Project Athena got $25M
(jointly with another $25M from DEC), CMU got $50M for various andrew
efforts (MACH, unix work-alike, camelot/encina ... unix transaction
processing, andrew fileystems, etc) ... lots of other institutions.

my brother was regional Apple marketing rep in this period (largest
physical region in CONUS) with several univ. institutions. He would
comment that he would fawn over any IBM coffee mugs at customer sites
and say he liked them so much that he would be willing to trade two
apple mugs for every IBM mug (selling appleII and MACs against IBM/PC).

sometime earlier, IBM had 1500
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_1500

picture of my (future) wife ... she had job at the Naval academy in
Annapolis, programming IBM 1500 courses (before she joined IBM)

1500 installations, gone but lives on at wayback machine
https://web.archive.org/web/20090604181740/http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/educationhistory/IBM1500Systems_NorthAmerica.cfm

Edward Gould
2017-11-30 06:34:41 UTC
Post by Anne & Lynn Wheeler
prior to gov. legal action, IBM steep educational discount and there was
IBM mainframes in lots of universities ... then with the 23June1969
unbundling announcement ... those educational discounts went away.
past posts/refs
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#unbundle <http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#unbundle>
I guess I did not make myself clear there was a product (software) that IBM sold/leased/whatever for learning JCL and other stuff. I installed it so I know it ran on MVS.
I do not remember any details other than that. I was *NOT* referring to hardware as I know a little bit about that. I am at lost to tell you the name, god getting old is hell.
If I had to guess a date it was in the early 80’s but don’t hold me to that. I left the job in the mid 80’s, so it had to be installed before that.
I do no remember if the education department used it widely, I do not remember ever getting calls about issues with it.

Ed

Jack J. Woehr
2017-11-30 02:33:30 UTC
Post by Steve Thompson
And so now IBM is pushing Cognitive computing, and talking about
Quantum computing.
All those things you name were steps along the road.

You should take a look at Quantum Computing before you dismiss it.

2017-11-30 02:41:28 UTC
Post by Jack J. Woehr
Post by Steve Thompson
And so now IBM is pushing Cognitive computing, and talking about Quantum
computing.
All those things you name were steps along the road.
You should take a look at Quantum Computing before you dismiss it.
​Do you have any _good_ web sites? I find it interesting, but it appears
mainly to address highly parallel processing. I have trouble trying to
figure out how it is going to allow payroll to run more efficiently (be
that faster or cheaper). I can see it doing cryptography, or especially​
breaking same. Or protein folding.
Post by Jack J. Woehr
--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe
www.softwoehr.com # with a fine understanding of human fallibility. - Carl Sagan
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove
it.

Jack J. Woehr
2017-11-30 05:52:51 UTC
​Do you have any_good_ web sites? I find it interesting, but it appears
mainly to address highly parallel processing. I have trouble trying to
figure out how it is going to allow payroll to run more efficiently (be
that faster or cheaper). I can see it doing cryptography, or especially​
breaking same. Or protein folding.
It's not parallel processing. QC leverages the weirdness of the physical
universe to solve
problems that have a hidden twist within them of a sort which is not
exploitable through
classical math nor through classic computation.

It's as if subatomic particles spoke to us and said, "In binary
computing, you've been using us as beads
on an abacus. But look what amazing dances we can do on our own, which
mirror computational
truths because those computational truths are themselves manifestations
of mankind's limited
grasp of the physical universe."

It's not parallel processing. It's just weirdness we didn't know was
there and useful until we looked.

Log into IBM Quantum Experience and RTFM and follow links and blogs
which in turn will take you to links
and blogs, lather, rinse, repeat :) If the math makes your head hurt,
come back and post here.

IBM Quantum Experience is great because/these folks are the absolute
100% bleeding edge/
of the real-world engineering making these amazing theoretical fantasies
come true.

That's who effing IBM is. Absolutely the bleeding edge of computational
engineering, bar none.

They used to sell meat scales, you know.

Jack J. Woehr
2017-11-30 06:04:53 UTC
Post by John McKown
I have trouble trying to
figure out how it is going to allow payroll to run more efficiently
Here's a really good summary of QC /qua/ information science, from IBM
pages, of course.

https://quantumexperience.ng.bluemix.net/qx/tutorial?sectionId=full-user-guide&page=000-FAQ~2F000-Frequently_Asked_Questions

Edward Finnell
2017-11-30 05:43:23 UTC
Quantum Computing is available now via IBM's cloud.

https://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/49661.wss

Jack J. Woehr
2017-11-30 05:54:35 UTC
Post by Edward Finnell
Quantum Computing is available now via IBM's cloud.
https://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/49661.wss
Yes, it's lots of fun. Log in, it's free.

Steve Thompson
2017-11-30 23:17:39 UTC
Post by Steve Thompson
Quantum computing. Cognitive computing.
Back in 1990-95, as I recall, IBM had KT, ESE, TIRS, and IBM
Prolog for 370 (which ran on VM and MVS).
How many here know what any of the above products were?
KT -- Knowledge Tool

ESE - Expert System Environment (if I remember the full name
correctly)

TIRS - The Integrated Reasoning Shall. (TIRS pronounced Tears --
interesting story about that for another time).

Prolog (VM and MVS)
Post by Steve Thompson
Anybody ever have a copy to work with or know of any shop that
had one of those products in production?
I happen to know of two installations back in those days.
ESE was used by GAD (abbrev for a German Banking/Financial
company) IIRC.

Prolog -- Dassault in France was a large user.

IBM sold TIRS to some other company (I've forgotten who).
Post by Steve Thompson
And so now IBM is pushing Cognitive computing, and talking about
Quantum computing.
BTW -- I am the author of SMF 96 (x'60'), the Cross Memory Charge
back record, that was used by PROLOG when it was running in its
subsystem, as well as TIRS in its subsystem. I envisioned that
there would be more service providing address spaces....

But the irony was, it got named, by I have no idea who, the TIRS
SMF record. It took me a few years to get IBM to realize (since I
was outside of IBM at the time) that it was incorrectly named.

Just info that IBM had AI languages and was having difficulty in
selling them outside of academia from my experience while working
on these systems in the Palo Alto Science labs and then STL (now
SVL).

Regards,
Steve Thompson

Jack J. Woehr
2017-11-30 02:32:26 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
Post by Jack J. Woehr
IBM is going to produce the first marketable Quantum Computer.
And who is going to buy it? The people interesting in WATSON … maybe. There is blood in the water.
Famously, Thomas J. Watson, Jr. said around 1950 "Nobody's going to buy
computers. The whole world will need about four of them."

David Crayford
2017-11-30 02:51:24 UTC
Post by Jack J. Woehr
Post by Edward Gould
Post by Jack J. Woehr
IBM is going to produce the first marketable Quantum Computer.
And who is going to buy it? The people interesting in WATSON … maybe.
There is blood in the water.
Famously, Thomas J. Watson, Jr. said around 1950 "Nobody's going to
buy computers. The whole world will need about four of them."
IBM need to do a Micrsoft and bring in a visionary CEO to turn them
around. Satya Nadella has reinvented Microsoft from root to branch.
Microsoft are now one of the biggest contributors to open source
software in the world. Who would have thought that under Steve Balmer?
They also make great products that people want to buy. I'm afraid that
IBM isn't going to win in the cloud when they are up against the likes
of Amazon, Microsoft and Google.

Edward Gould
2017-11-30 06:44:30 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
Post by Jack J. Woehr
IBM is going to produce the first marketable Quantum Computer.
And who is going to buy it? The people interesting in WATSON … maybe. There is blood in the water.
Famously, Thomas J. Watson, Jr. said around 1950 "Nobody's going to buy computers. The whole world will need about four of them.”
Yes and I have heard the story about gates and more than 64K.

I suspect that as long as MVS or Z/OS is around it will be hard to get around the bottle necks that are built in to the OS. Hell look at TSO, (I won’t go there) IBM long ago lost the talent they had and it is pretty much a black hole as nobody understand the internals anymore. Watson does seem to have lifted the bottle necks and really can do multi tasking in its own way.

IBM did a poor job in documenting TSO internals and we are now seeing the results as there are extremely few (if any) new products that areTSO oriented.
I could be wrong on this but I think that SDSF was the last new product IBM offered that was too based.

But getting back to WATSON , we don’t know too much on how it works and how easily it is to use as a programmer that is.

Ed

Jack J. Woehr

Edward Gould
2017-11-30 09:46:39 UTC
“42"
I know I shouldn’t ask but what is “42”.

Ed

Robert Prins
2017-11-30 11:00:47 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
“42"
I know I shouldn’t ask but what is “42”.
The answer to everything -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_%28number%29#The_Hitchhiker.27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy
--
Robert AH Prins
robert(a)prino(d)org

Robert Prins

Jack J. Woehr
2017-11-30 14:58:11 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
I know I shouldn’t ask but what is “42”.
The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything, as revealed by Deep
Thought in Douglas Adams's _Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_.

Another computer was then built to discover what indeed is the Question
to Life, the Universe, and Everything.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso

2017-12-01 16:25:45 UTC
And check out the first two religious meanings for 42: In Japanese,
pronouncing the two digits is the same as the word for death. In
Egypt, 42 questions are asked of a dead person.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(number)#Religion
Post by Jack J. Woehr
Post by Edward Gould
I know I shouldn’t ask but what is “42”.
The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything, as revealed by Deep
Thought in Douglas Adams's _Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_.
Another computer was then built to discover what indeed is the Question to

Ed Jaffe
2017-11-30 17:35:58 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
Famously, Thomas J. Watson, Jr. said around 1950 "Nobody's going to buy computers. The whole world will need about four of them.”
Yes and I have heard the story about gates and more than 64K.
That was 640K.
--
Phoenix Software International
Edward E. Jaffe

Edward Gould
2017-12-02 05:40:00 UTC
Post by Ed Jaffe
Post by Edward Gould
Famously, Thomas J. Watson, Jr. said around 1950 "Nobody's going to buy computers. The whole world will need about four of them.”
Yes and I have heard the story about gates and more than 64K.
That was 640K.
Right you are, my fingers dropped a digit, I apologize.

Ed
--
http://www.phoenixsoftware.com/ <http://www.phoenixsoftware.com/>
William Donzelli
2017-11-30 15:06:42 UTC
Post by Jack J. Woehr
Famously, Thomas J. Watson, Jr. said around 1950 "Nobody's going to buy
computers. The whole world will need about four of them."
This poor mangled quote...

Watson was specifically referring to one specific model of machine,
not computers in general.

--
Will

Jack J. Woehr
2017-11-30 19:11:46 UTC
Post by William Donzelli
This poor mangled quote...
Watson was specifically referring to one specific model of machine,
not computers in general.
I never let truth get in the way of a good story! :)

Dave Jones
2017-11-30 14:11:53 UTC
Jackie Robinson.'s uniform number, of course.:-)
DJ

2017-11-30 17:17:04 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
“42"
I know I shouldn’t ask but what is “42”.
GIYF.

Dale R. Smith
2017-12-01 16:51:58 UTC
Post by Edward Gould
“42"
I know I shouldn’t ask but what is “42”.
Ed
The number of employees left at IBM in 5 years? :-)>
--
Dale R. Smith

Pommier, Rex
2017-12-01 17:16:48 UTC
The number of employees left at IBM in 5 years in the United States? :-)> FTFY.

Rex

I know I shouldn’t ask but what is “42”.
Ed
The number of employees left at IBM in 5 years? :-)>
--
Dale R. Smith

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Edward Gould
2017-12-02 05:42:52 UTC
Post by Pommier, Rex
The number of employees left at IBM in 5 years in the United States? :-)> FTFY.
Rex
It will take 110 to manage 42.

Ed
2017-12-01 17:48:47 UTC
HEX 42 in Binary - 0100 0010 - now using fingers up/down to represent digits...
Hmmm, it is looking to me like two middle fingers. Careful fella, you don't mess around with the ancient art of raising the middle finger, aka "the bird"...

Steve Thompson
2017-12-01 17:52:39 UTC
Since it is Friday, and all....

Art Gutowski
2017-12-06 04:10:31 UTC
HEX 42 in Binary - 0100 0010 - now using fingers up/down to represent digits...
Brilliant!

Art