IP PRINTWAY EMAIL
Tsai Laurence
2004-07-06 16:24:00 UTC
Does anybody using IBM Infoprint IP printway to deliver OS/390 Report /
file via email attachement ?
Is this a workable solution to deliver report ?
What is its limitation ?
Is there any drawback ?

sincerely,
Laurence tsai

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
John S. Giltner, Jr.
2004-07-07 02:07:39 UTC
Post by Tsai Laurence
Does anybody using IBM Infoprint IP printway to deliver OS/390 Report /
file via email attachement ?
Is this a workable solution to deliver report ?
What is its limitation ?
Is there any drawback ?
sincerely,
Laurence tsai
We just started using is about a month ago to replace a simple print
function.

It has no way to compress the attachment, so if your reports are large,
it could clog up your e-mail system. You do not have a whole lot of
control over the Subject line.

Other than that it works in our case. However, our case is a simple
(normally one to two pages) print.
Jan Redding
2004-07-09 21:59:13 UTC
Ceruti, Gerard G
2004-07-07 08:29:41 UTC
Laurence

First buy the "Bat Book" makes the understanding of Sendmail a lot easier ,
zOS 1.5 seems to have some enhancments in INFOPRINT , we have got it working
but find it a little slow , each email request creates it��s own process
rather than using the SEDNMAIL daemon.
Depending on the volume this might not be an issue .

Regards
Gerard

Does anybody using IBM Infoprint IP printway to deliver OS/390 Report / file
via email attachement ? Is this a workable solution to deliver report ? What
is its limitation ? Is there any drawback ?

sincerely,
Laurence tsai

to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the
archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For information about the Standard Bank group visit our web site <www.standardbank.co.za>
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relating to the official business of Standard Bank Group Limited is proprietary to the group.
It is confidential, legally privileged and protected by law.
Standard Bank does not own and endorse any other content. Views and opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of the group.
The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole authorised recipient. Please notify the sender immediately if it has unintentionally reached you and do not read,
disclose or use the content in any way.
Standard Bank can not assure that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that it is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Jan Redding
2004-07-09 22:33:42 UTC
Post by Ceruti, Gerard G
zOS 1.5 seems to have some enhancments in INFOPRINT , we have got it working
but find it a little slow , each email request creates it¡¯s own process
rather than using the SEDNMAIL daemon.
Depending on the volume this might not be an issue .
Infoprint Server does not require the SENDMAIL daemon to be running. As
you have noted, each e-mail request spawns a sendmail process. This was
a design decision that was made during development. Our thinking was
that sending a report via e-mail is not a time-critical communication
channel.

If the volume of e-mail you are sending is high, and you are concerned
about throughput, then I recommend that you submit a Marketing
Requirement through your IBM rep (FITS system) or a SHARE Requirement,
so that we can consider it against all the other requests for new
functions. This aids us in understanding how customers want to use
Infoprint Server so that we can prioritize potential enhancements. Like
everyone else, we don't have an unlimited budget, and we can't do
everything.

Jan Redding
Infoprint Server Development

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
shmuel+ (Shmuel Metz , Seymour J.)
2004-07-11 14:44:37 UTC
Post by Jan Redding
Infoprint Server does not require the SENDMAIL daemon to be running.
As you have noted, each e-mail request spawns a sendmail process.
This was a design decision that was made during development. Our
thinking was that sending a report via e-mail is not a time-critical
communication channel.
That doesn't make sense. Why start a separate process for each if it's
not time critical? Why not let a single process handle them, one at a
time?

ISO position; see <http://patriot.net/~shmuel/resume/summary>

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Jay Maynard
2004-07-11 15:03:54 UTC
Post by shmuel+ (Shmuel Metz , Seymour J.)
Post by Jan Redding
Infoprint Server does not require the SENDMAIL daemon to be running.
As you have noted, each e-mail request spawns a sendmail process.
This was a design decision that was made during development. Our
thinking was that sending a report via e-mail is not a time-critical
communication channel.
That doesn't make sense. Why start a separate process for each if it's
not time critical? Why not let a single process handle them, one at a
time?
sendmail on Unix systems spawns a separate process for each mail being
transmitted, at least at first; one process handles multiple different
messages only if they're being sent from the mqueue. (The sendmail command
when invoked in SMTP client mode simply attempts to send the message right
then, and only queues it if the attempt fails.)

I don't know how expensive Unix System Services process creation is, but
it's bound to be more expensive than process creation on Unix. Thus, on the
mainframe, having a single process handle multiple outgoing emails would be
both a bit of a redesign and an optimization technique - and, since a
redesign is involved, more work than necessary.

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Ceruti, Gerard G
2004-07-12 14:22:40 UTC
Jan

I do not know if it will be a problem yet, as we do not have a large number
of users switched yet , it was more an observation that usually a stc/daemon
is configured and requests are passed onto the stc/daemon for processing.
I have not been able to look at the zOS 1.5 updates for InfoPrint, there
after I will take your suggestion on submitting a Customer requirement.

Regards
Gerard