dumb VSAM KSDS & AIX question.
2017-08-30 20:34:37 UTC
A programmer came by with a question. He asked if, when you are reading a
VSAM KSDS via an alternate index (PATH), to have duplicates returned in
base key order. I don't think that is possible. From examining the contents
of the AIX records themselves, it appears to me that the base key for a
"new" base record with a given alternate key is just placed at the end of
the keys. Yes, I know, if this sort of thing is a requirement, we need Db2
(or is it DB2), but that is _never_ going to happen around here.
--
Caution! The OP is an hyperpolysyllabicsesquipedalianist and this email may
cause stress to those with hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

Steve Smith
2017-08-30 21:20:38 UTC
SORT, E35 exit. Don't even use an AIX/PATH, as it would probably just
slow it down.

sas

David W Noon
2017-08-30 21:26:46 UTC
On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 15:35:47 -0500, John Mckown
(***@GMAIL.COM) wrote about "dumb VSAM KSDS & AIX
question." (in
Post by John McKown
A programmer came by with a question. He asked if, when you are reading a
VSAM KSDS via an alternate index (PATH), to have duplicates returned in
base key order. I don't think that is possible.
It depends on how much effort you are prepared to put in. VSAM, by
itself, will not do it.
Post by John McKown
From examining the contents
of the AIX records themselves, it appears to me that the base key for a
"new" base record with a given alternate key is just placed at the end of
the keys. Yes, I know, if this sort of thing is a requirement, we need Db2
(or is it DB2), but that is _never_ going to happen around here.
It is DB2. But that isn't really necessary.

You can order the records however you want using DF/SORT or Syncsort.
Simply use the path as your SORTIN. If you are using COBOL then a SORT
verb can do it too. If you are using PL/I then PLISRTA(), PLISRTB() and
PLISRTD() can do it.

Dave [RLU #314465]
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
***@googlemail.com (David W Noon)
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Scott Chapman
2017-08-31 10:39:10 UTC
Post by David W Noon
Post by John McKown
the keys. Yes, I know, if this sort of thing is a requirement, we need Db2
(or is it DB2), but that is _never_ going to happen around here.
It is DB2. But that isn't really necessary.
Except they really did change the branding to Db2. <shakes head>

http://www.ibmbigdatahub.com/blog/announcing-db2-family-hybrid-data-management-offerings

"The modernization of “Db2” with a capital “D” and lowercase “b” places all emphasis on ‘Data’ — your data. At the same time, the new design represents the elemental nature of Db2 (think periodic table) and connotes the fundamental importance of hybrid data management."

I think it may be some time before I retrain myself to write Db2 though...