IEC026I - 637-BC
Add Reply
Buckton, T. , Theo
2017-08-06 09:09:29 UTC
Hi,

We have a batch job that abends with the above code when creating a temp file on a model-54 volume. We are in the middle of a data migration, and model-54s are being allocated to this pool. However, we still have model-27s which will be removed at a later stage. What I have done to bypass the issue is to disable the model-54s as I noticed that batch job does not abend if the temp file is written to the model-27s.
Can somebody shed light on this issue - in simple terms please :) ?

IEC710I 82AF,APWKA2,NDCP351Z,SPDT02,CONCAT ANOTHER VOLUME EXPECTED
IEC026I 637-BC,IFG0553P,NDCP351Z,SPDT02,CONCAT,82AF,APWKA2, 375
SYS17216.T214401.RA000.NDCP351Z.SPDT021.H02
IEA995I SYMPTOM DUMP OUTPUT 376
SYSTEM COMPLETION CODE=637 REASON CODE=000000BC

//TOOLMSG DD SYSOUT=*
//DFSMSG DD SYSOUT=*
//IN1 DD DSN=PNGG00.DCPACK.NDCP351Z.EXTRACT.DTL,
// DISP=SHR
//IN2 DD DSN=PNGG00.DCPACK.NDCP351Z.EXTRACT.NP02,
// DISP=SHR
//TEMP1 DD DSN=&&SPDT021,DISP=(,PASS),SPACE=(CYL,(2000,2000)),
// UNIT=(SYSDA,20)
//TEMP2 DD DSN=&&SPDT022,DISP=(,PASS),SPACE=(CYL,(2000,2000)),
// UNIT=(SYSDA,20)
//CONCAT DD DSN=*.TEMP1,VOL=REF=*.TEMP1,DISP=(OLD,PASS)
// DD DSN=*.TEMP2,VOL=REF=*.TEMP2,DISP=(OLD,PASS)
//COMBINE DD DSN=PNGG00.DCPACK.NDCP351Z.DTLNP02.DATA,
// DISP=(,PASS),UNIT=(SYSDA,4),
// SPACE=(CYL,(1500,200),RLSE),
// DCB=(LRECL=1477,RECFM=FB,BLKSIZE=0)

********************

Nedbank disclaimer and confidentiality notice:

This email may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this email or all or some of the information contained therein, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unless specifically indicated, this email is neither an offer or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or other financial product or service, nor is it an official confirmation of any transaction or an official statement of Nedbank. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Nedbank. Nedbank Ltd Reg No 1951/000009/06.

The following link displays the names of the Nedbank Board of Directors and Company Secretary. [http://www.nedbank.co.za/terms/DirectorsNedbank.htm]

If you do not want to click on a link, please type the relevant address in your browser

********************

Richards, Robert B.
2017-08-06 09:46:12 UTC
Theo,

S637 - BC
The last known volume for the data set could not be located while
reading a multivolume DASD data set.

I have personally never seen the above. But based on the space you are requesting, try adding DSNTYPE=LARGE to both CONCAT DDs and see if that helps.

Bob

Richards, Robert B.
2017-08-06 09:49:03 UTC
Oops!

I meant the TEMP DDs (TEMP1 and TEMP2)

Bob

Buckton, T. , Theo
2017-08-06 09:59:15 UTC
Thanks Bob,

I will try this parameter.

On our QA system the work pool consists of only model-54s and we do not have this issue.

Regards
Theo

2017-08-06 14:19:36 UTC
Some additional questions

1) How man volumes are in the pool? How many 54s and how many 27s

2) How large will the allocation be? Using 16 extents for the dataset (this
may vary), then this is 2000 + (2000*15) or 32,000 cylinders total for the file.
Is there sufficient space?

3) How fragmented are the volumes? Is there enough for a primary allocation of
2000 (This can be gotten in a maximum of 5 extents). Is there sufficient for
the secondary to be taken on 20 volumes?

637-BC code is a situation that says there is not enough space on the VOLUME to
allocate a new extent or file. This is not a no space in the file situation. The
BC return code notes the volume designation. When you review the dump that is
produced you will see that the end of volume has been reached at allocation.

It may help identify the issue by changing the TEMP dsns to real DSNs and seeing
what allocations (and where) is being done.

Lizette
2017-08-06 15:10:23 UTC
Since I do not know this tool you are using or what it will do, it might be
possible to use something like SORT to do what you want.

Then you may not have this issue.

1) How man volumes are in the pool? How many 54s and how many 27s
a) If not SMS, then how to do drive the allocation to these volumes?

Lizette
Buckton, T. , Theo
2017-08-06 18:17:11 UTC
Thanks for the additional info,

We have 40 mod-54s and 90 mod-27s - all sms managed. The program tool is ICETOOL. The volumes are most of the time empty.... only in use by temp data sets. I might have to monitor the usage during execution.

//SPDT02 EXEC PGM=ICETOOL
//*
//* SPLICE THE DETAIL AND NP02 TABLES TOGETHER
//*
56 //TOOLMSG DD SYSOUT=*
57 //DFSMSG DD SYSOUT=*
58 //IN1 DD DSN=PNGG00.DCPACK.NDCP351Z.EXTRACT.DTL,
// DISP=SHR
59 //IN2 DD DSN=PNGG00.DCPACK.NDCP351Z.EXTRACT.NP02,
// DISP=SHR
60 //TEMP1 DD DSN=&&SPDT021,DISP=(,PASS),SPACE=(CYL,(2000,2000)),
// UNIT=(SYSDA,20)
61 //TEMP2 DD DSN=&&SPDT022,DISP=(,PASS),SPACE=(CYL,(2000,2000)),
// UNIT=(SYSDA,20)
62 //CONCAT DD DSN=*.TEMP1,VOL=REF=*.TEMP1,DISP=(OLD,PASS)
63 // DD DSN=*.TEMP2,VOL=REF=*.TEMP2,DISP=(OLD,PASS)
64 //COMBINE DD DSN=PNGG00.DCPACK.NDCP351Z.DTLNP02.DATA,
// DISP=(,PASS),UNIT=(SYSDA,4),
// SPACE=(CYL,(1500,200),RLSE),
// DCB=(LRECL=1477,RECFM=FB,BLKSIZE=0)
65 //TOOLIN DD *
66 //CTL1CNTL DD *
67 //CTL2CNTL DD *

Sri h Kolusu
2017-08-06 17:33:38 UTC
Post by Buckton, T. , Theo
Can somebody shed light on this issue - in simple terms please :) ?
Theo,

It would be best to avoid concatenation with referback due to the
potential problems caused by the system restriction described here in the
second bullet:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.icem100/beaware.htm

Be aware that, in some cases, if a DD statement specifies a data set for
output that is extended to a second or subsequent volume, and another DD
statement within the same step requests the same data set, only the
records on the first volume will be read, and incorrect output will
result.

We always recommend to use one temp data set with disposition MOD . i.e

//TEMP1 DD DSN=&&TEMP1,UNIT=SYSDA,DISP=(MOD
,PASS),SPACE=(CYL,(X,Y),RLSE)

Copy your datasets into a single dataset with MOD disposition and you will
not run into the system restriction.

I am guessing that you are using SPLICE operator to find the matching
records between 2 files IN1 and IN2. Please note that JOINKEYS is much
more efficient technique and it can even handle MANY to MANY match which
SPLICE operator cannot handle.

Since I don't have your entire TOOLIN Cards I cannot rewrite your JCL. If
you can send your TOOLIN statements then I can optimize the job or convert
it to use JOINKEYS.

Further if you have any questions please let me know
Post by Buckton, T. , Theo
Post by Lizette Koehler
Since I do not know this tool you are using or what it will do, it
might be possible to use something like SORT to do what you want.

Lizette,

The Job is indeed using ICETOOL

Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development
IBM Corporation
Giliad Wilf
2017-08-06 18:12:28 UTC
Post by Buckton, T. , Theo
Post by Lizette Koehler
Since I do not know this tool you are using or what it will do, it
might be possible to use something like SORT to do what you want.
Lizette,
The Job is indeed using ICETOOL
Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development
IBM Corporation
You're right.
Because the CONCAT DDs are referencing new TEMP1 and TEMP2 in the same step - they will not see any additional volume that TEMP1 and TEMP2 will overflow into. The updated volume information will not be available to the CONCAT DDs.
Hence the S637-BC, which says "The last known volume for the data set could not be located while reading a multivolume DASD data set" for the CONCAT DD.
This is stated in the JCL Ref. manual, discussing the VOL=REF=*.ddname parameter (same step).

2017-08-07 10:14:06 UTC
Post by Buckton, T. , Theo
We have 40 mod-54s and 90 mod-27s - all sms managed. The program tool is ICETOOL. The volumes are most of the time empty.... only in use by temp data sets. I might have to monitor the usage during execution.
This is totally different from your QA system with only mod-54.

I would concur with Sri and also suggest that you try to avoid concatenation with referback. This problem is not limited to ICETOOL but with any tool / program.

Alternatively, it would be interesting what ICETOOL statement you have, perhaps a more elegant solution is available for you.