BPXWUNIX and BPXBATCH (was: Java on z/OS?)
2017-06-11 01:46:49 UTC
No, what I meant was you can direct those DDs to a standard MVS file as
opposed to only a unix file ...
Agreed, but be careful with "as opposed to". An early section in
"Using Data Sets" makes it clear that UNIX files can be data sets.
"That's not how most people use 'data set'"? Well, they should
RTFM. I take "Using Data Sets" as the authority here.

I'm not sure what meaning "standard" conveys. Would it be
better to say "modal"?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mode#h1
(See bullet 5.)
... - including if your file was a SYSOUT file. No,
you can't use DD SYSOUT=* for STDPARM SYSIN - or maybe you could, but
I don't think you would get the intended result. :-)
It might be a spool file allocated by the SDSF Rexx API. That probably
doesn't count as SYSOUT even though it might have been created as
DD SYSOUT=(,) by a previous job(step).

Mark Zelden
2017-06-11 03:10:41 UTC
No, what I meant was you can direct those DDs to a standard MVS file as
opposed to only a unix file ...
I'm not sure what meaning "standard" conveys. Would it be
better to say "modal"?
I don't even know why I'm responding to such pedantry when I'm sure 100% of
everyone that reads this list knows exactly what I meant, but maybe you would
prefer the term "classic" or "legacy". I don't think I've ever heard someone call the
original MVS data set a "modal data set".

Best regards,

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified
mailto:***@mzelden.com