Sort
Add Reply
gsg
2017-07-27 18:32:05 UTC
Anyone have any experience converting from Syncsort to CA-Sort? Was it easy? Any gotchas to worry about? Did it perform the same?

TIA

Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
2017-07-27 18:43:30 UTC
If you have the ZPSaver feature in Syncsort then you won't have that with CA-Sort.

Lionel B. Dyck

gsg
2017-08-01 21:16:50 UTC
Let me reword this. Does anyone have any experience with CA-Sort? How do you like working with the product? Easy to use?

Longnecker, Dennis
2017-08-01 21:22:37 UTC
Many years ago. (about 25).

Since then we converted to Syncsort (it was almost PL/Sort, but Syncsort ended up in the mix.)

Then we converted to IBM Sort

All of the conversions were fairly effortless and didn’t' run into any issues.

I think it depends on how many sort related reports you have.

IBM's sort costs me about $300 a month, so we aren't talking about a lot of money.

Dennis

2017-08-02 04:45:48 UTC
Post by gsg
Let me reword this. Does anyone have any experience with CA-Sort? How do you like working with the product? Easy to use?
The second question you should always ask is always about support. I won’t comment as its been too many years.
Syncsort was and is world class support. I never got off the phone without a fix to my problem.
IBM is near world class support. In many years past they were OK but you had to be dogged with them and not take no for an answer. I haven’t dealt with then in recent years but the people who did came away with good feelings.
In years past I got called in a little too often and dealing with the Syncsort people a 0300 was pleasant, and not like pulling teeth like IBM.
Support is really the big issue all the other issues I have ever dealt with were minor.
Ed
Scott Barry
2017-08-02 15:10:24 UTC
Post by gsg
Let me reword this. Does anyone have any experience with CA-Sort? How do you like working with the product? Easy to use?
CA Sort software is no longer marketed / supported, as of July 2010.

https://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/product-content/status/announcement-documents/2010/ca-sort-for-zos--end-of-life-announcement.html

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.