Weird thought for ISPF enhancement
2018-06-05 18:51:07 UTC
I'm short of sleep ... again. When I came to work this morning, my Chrome
browser was "dead". When I restarted it, it prompted me with a message
asking if I wanted to restore all the pages I had been on.

So, what occurred to me was, "Wouldn't it be nice if ISPF could do
something like that." Now, ISPF doesn't really die often. But I think it
would be a nice feature if there were a new ISPF command, perhaps called
something like "SAVELEAVE" or HIBERNATE or whatever. This facility would
let you logoff for the day, optionally SAVEing any changes if you're in
EDIT or one or more screens. When you come in the next day, ISPF would give
you an option to restore all your screens. Yes, there are problems about
restarting an ISPF application, but basically you could only issue the
above command at certain times, just like you can only SWAP or SPLIT, when
you're in an DISPLAY verb. What I envision for an ISPF application is that
it would get a special RC from the ISPF DISPLAY verb which would indicate
"user wants to leave, checkpoint or abandon your processing". The
application could then only do something like ISPF CHECKPOINT which would
basically return to ISPF and ISPF would terminate the application. The
application would need to save its non-ISPF environment (close files, etc)
before it issued the CHECKPOINT. When the user gets back into ISPF, the
application is restarted at the next instruction after the CHECKPOINT. At
this point, the application would be responsible to restore its internal,
non-ISPF maintained, status (open files, reload important variable, etc).
This would occur for each active screen which did the ISPF CHECKPOINT.
Well, that's likely getting too detailed for a general, initial, discussion.

So, what are your thoughts?
--
Once a government places vague notions of public safety and security above
the preservation of freedom, a general loss of liberty is sure to follow.

GCS Griffin -- Pelaran Alliance -- TFS Guardian (book)

Carmen Vitullo
2018-06-05 19:10:44 UTC
Personally I only care about edit sessions that I may have been in when my session died, so EDIT RECOVERY is always on, not sure I'd really care about other options or panels I was in at the time of death.
being an DOF, I'd prolly see all my session stuff restored and scratch my head wondering why I was there and why I had so many screens active and start the orderly PF3,PF3,PF3......oops

Carmen Vitullo

2018-06-05 19:22:00 UTC
My first thought is that it's nice as you described. If you submit an RFE, please explicitly ask that it not be automatic unless you can inhibit the automatic restart in your profile. Whether you can make a business case is a separate issue.

2018-06-05 19:34:09 UTC
I really like it. I have an associate who sets up some elaborate configuration of SPLITs. He is always selling me on the benefits. I see the benefits, but one of the reasons I do not follow suit is because of the need to re-do it on every logon. If I could just have ISPF automatically restore my previous setup it would be great.

2018-06-05 19:40:26 UTC
I'd rather have ISPF fix whatever is preventing you from scripting the setup you want.

Jerry Whitteridge
2018-06-05 20:04:21 UTC
I use a rexx exec to "script" all my sessions every time I logon.

/* REXX */
/* TRACE I */
ADDRESS ISPEXEC
"SELECT PGM(ISPSTRT) PARM(SCRNAME SDSF2 PERM; =SDSF; SWAP LAST) "
"SELECT PGM(ISPSTRT) PARM(SCRNAME EDIT1 PERM; =2; SWAP LAST)"
/*ELECT PGM(ISPSTRT) PARM(SCRNAME EDIT2 PERM; =2; SWAP LAST)" */
"SELECT PGM(ISPSTRT) PARM(SCRNAME MYDS PERM; REFOPEND; SWAP LAST)"
"SELECT PGM(ISPSTRT) PARM(SCRNAME BROWSE1 PERM; =1; SWAP LAST)"
"SELECT PGM(ISPSTRT) PARM(SCRNAME TSO PERM; =6; SWAP LAST)"
"SELECT PGM(ISPSTRT) PARM(SCRNAME DSLIST PERM; =3.4; SWAP LAST)"
"SELECT PGM(ISPSTRT) PARM(TSO WORKPL)"
EXIT(0)

I call this SESSTART and simply do a TSO SESSTART as soon as I am at the
Primary option menu after logging on. (In 2.2 or above I believe this can
be done automagically).

Jerry Whitteridge
Delivery Manager / Mainframe Architect
GTS - Safeway Account
602 527 4871 Mobile
***@ibm.com

IBM Services
Date: 06/05/2018 12:34 PM
I really like it. I have an associate who sets up some elaborate
configuration of SPLITs. He is always selling me on the benefits. I
see the benefits, but one of the reasons I do not follow suit is
because of the need to re-do it on every logon. If I could just have
ISPF automatically restore my previous setup it would be great.
] On Behalf Of John McKown
2018-06-05 20:40:09 UTC
Thanks. I will give that sort of thing a try.

I *still* like John's weird thought. I work from a home office. I tend to be
a little loose with the demarcation between work and not work. Sometimes I
get up from my PC. Sometimes I come back in 20 minutes. Sometimes I do not.
I like that whether I am gone for ten seconds or ten hours, I find Windows
right where I left it. It would be nice if ISPF were right where I left it.
(I understand the resource and security advantages of a forced logoff.
John's weird thought would make that logoff more transparent.)

Barry Merrill
2018-06-05 21:02:12 UTC
I left z/OS as a development platform, going to Windows in 1996
for MXG Software totally because of the loss of everything under
TSO if I didn't hit enter every 45 minutes.

However, it is still the primary QA test platform, but using
batch instead of TSO.

Herbert W. "Barry" Merrill, PhD
President-Programmer
Merrill Consultants
MXG Software
10717 Cromwell Drive
Dallas, TX 75229
www.mxg.com
***@mxg.com

Date: 06/05/2018 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: Weird thought for ISPF enhancement Sent by: IBM Mainframe
I really like it. I have an associate who sets up some elaborate
configuration of SPLITs. He is always selling me on the benefits. I
see the benefits, but one of the reasons I do not follow suit is
because of the need to re-do it on every logon. If I could just have
ISPF automatically restore my previous setup it would be great.
On Behalf Of John McKown
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 11:51 AM
to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

2018-06-05 23:44:48 UTC
the loss of everything under TSO if I didn't hit enter every 45 minutes.
1. That's configurable, isn't it? SMFJWT or something? There are also 3270
emulators I think that will hit ENTER for you every 'n' minutes.
2. With RECOVERY ON, you don't lose anything in the editor before the last
ENTER. (You lose changes keyed onto the screen but not "ENTERed.")

I just remembered the 1989 earthquake in San Francisco, the resultant power
outage, and desperately trying to reconnect back onto our remote mainframe
so I would not lose a whole slew of pending edits. Don't recall whether I
succeeded or not. I suspect not.

2018-06-06 11:53:49 UTC
Post by Barry Merrill
I left z/OS as a development platform, going to Windows in 1996
for MXG Software totally because of the loss of everything under
TSO if I didn't hit enter every 45 minutes.
​The programmers here had the same complaint. We now have an IEFUTL exit,
implemented in CA-OPS/MVS REXX, which will extend their wait time between
06:00 and 18:00 on weekdays. That way they can go to meetings, lunch, and
bull sessions without losing their place.​
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 11:51 AM
[...]
Rap music is performed by those that can not sing so others can not think.

Clark Morris
2018-06-06 19:22:59 UTC
[Default] On 6 Jun 2018 04:53:49 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
Post by Barry Merrill
I left z/OS as a development platform, going to Windows in 1996
for MXG Software totally because of the loss of everything under
TSO if I didn't hit enter every 45 minutes.
?The programmers here had the same complaint. We now have an IEFUTL exit,
implemented in CA-OPS/MVS REXX, which will extend their wait time between
06:00 and 18:00 on weekdays. That way they can go to meetings, lunch, and
bull sessions without losing their place.?
They need to be able to lock their screens for this to be viable from
a security point of view.

Clark Morris
Rob Schramm
2018-06-06 19:41:08 UTC
<devilsadvocate>
Do they really need to lock their TSO screen? Isn't having a windows
locktime sufficient?

While this setting was certainly important during the golden age of
terminals... how many of us actually use a terminal anymore? In the last
10 years? In the last 20 years?

How many have a corporate defined windows screen lock? (I can't comment on
Linux.. maybe some others can chime in)

What actual security is enhanced by locking a 3270 terminal that is not
addressed by locking the medium used to access the 3270 session?
(this may be turning into a rant)

I haven't actually given this much thought or examined my own reasoning for
demanding locked sessions and auto-logoff for 3270.. but is the practice
actually providing the security benefit so many time espoused and demanded?

</devilsadvocate>

Rob Schramm

p.s. If I have gone too far afield in this thread.. I can start another
one.
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 1:04 PM
Post by Barry Merrill
be
done automagically).
Jerry Whitteridge
Delivery Manager / Mainframe Architect
GTS - Safeway Account
602 527 4871 <(602)%20527-4871> Mobile
IBM Services
Date: 06/05/2018 12:34 PM
I really like it. I have an associate who sets up some elaborate
configuration of SPLITs. He is always selling me on the benefits. I
see the benefits, but one of the reasons I do not follow suit is
because of the need to re-do it on every logon. If I could just have
ISPF automatically restore my previous setup it would be great.
]
On Behalf Of John McKown
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 11:51 AM
[...]
email
Post by Barry Merrill
email
Post by Barry Merrill
Rob Schramm

Tom Conley
2018-06-05 20:05:21 UTC
I really like it. I have an associate who sets up some elaborate configuration of SPLITs. He is always selling me on the benefits. I see the benefits, but one of the reasons I do not follow suit is because of the need to re-do it on every logon. If I could just have ISPF automatically restore my previous setup it would be great.
Charles
Lookup ZSTART.

Regards,
Tom Conley
Steve Horein
2018-06-05 23:53:41 UTC
This.
I have this setup as my ZSTART variable:

Variable P A Value
----+----1----+----2----+----3----+----4----+----5----+--
ZSTART P ISPF;SYSNAME ON;START 3.A;;SWAP NEXT

More here:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/IBMRedbooksSystemz/entry/automatically_start_multiple_log
ical_screen_when_starting_ispf?lang=en
2018-06-07 19:20:10 UTC
If you like the benefits of many split screens then have a logon proc (Clist/REXX) create the split screens automagically for you each logon. I have 8 session created behind the scenes.
Have a look aht the ZSTART ISPF variable. It is there for just this reason. As usual with the ISPF guys, the forget to make it easy to use; there is no standard ISPF dialog to set it. Build your own or manipulate ZSTART via ISPF variable dialogue.

Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
2018-06-07 19:23:11 UTC
I have a fairly simple ISPF dialog to work with the ZSTART variable. Get it from www.lbdsoftware.com/zstart.zip or www.cbttape.org file 314.

Lionel B. Dyck (Contractor) <sdg><
Mainframe Systems Programmer - RavenTek Solution Partners

2018-06-07 19:37:04 UTC
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
I have a fairly simple ISPF dialog to work with the ZSTART variable. Get it from www.lbdsoftware.com/zstart.zip or www.cbttape.org file 314.
Great! Thanks for the pointer.

I just think it's a typical shame that the product (ISPF) delivers halfway features. How small an effort would this be to offer a similar dialog as part of ISPF?

2018-06-05 23:47:52 UTC
2. With RECOVERY ON, you don't lose anything in the editor before the last
ENTER. (You lose changes keyed onto the screen but not "ENTERed.")
You want a single-level storage image. But that comes at a price. If at all.

2018-06-06 00:24:48 UTC
Thanks. I will give that sort of thing a try.
I *still* like John's weird thought. I work from a home office. I tend to be
a little loose with the demarcation between work and not work. Sometimes I
get up from my PC. Sometimes I come back in 20 minutes. Sometimes I do not.
I like that whether I am gone for ten seconds or ten hours, I find Windows
right where I left it. It would be nice if ISPF were right where I left it.
(I understand the resource and security advantages of a forced logoff.
John's weird thought would make that logoff more transparent.)
Ever since TSO gained the RECONNECT option I have been able to simply
pull the plug, kill my emulator, whatever, and reconnect from elsewhere.

The grievous deficiency here is that if I reconnect with a different terminal
geometry, Bad Things Happen (unrecoverable and recurrent terminal I/O
errors, etc)

XEDIT recovers gracefully if I reconnect with a different terminal geometry
so it's not technically impossible; just half-hearted ISPF design.