Connect:Direct and VOL=REF ?
Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
2018-07-02 14:01:00 UTC
After pouring thru the connect:direct pubs and finding that REF= is support, I've not been able to find the correct syntax to do a VOL=REF=dsn within a Connect:Direct Proc on the TO parameters.

Can anyone offer any suggestions/advice/direction?

The documented syntax is:

VOL = ( [PRIVATE],[RETAIN] ,[volume-sequence-no]
,[volume-count]
,[SER = (serial-no[,serial-no,...] ) ] ) | ( [SER = (serial-no,
[serial-no,...] ) | REF = dsn])

We've tried:

Vol=ref=dsn
Vol=(ref=dsn)
Vol=ser=(ref=dsn)

Lionel B. Dyck (Contractor) <sdg><
Mainframe Systems Programmer - RavenTek Solution Partners

2018-07-02 14:59:10 UTC
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
After pouring thru the connect:direct pubs and finding that REF= is support, I've not been able to find the correct syntax to do a VOL=REF=dsn within a Connect:Direct Proc on the TO parameters.
Can anyone offer any suggestions/advice/direction?
VOL = ( [PRIVATE],[RETAIN] ,[volume-sequence-no]
,[volume-count]
,[SER = (serial-no[,serial-no,...] ) ] ) | ( [SER = (serial-no,
[serial-no,...] ) | REF = dsn])
Vol=ref=dsn
Vol=(ref=dsn)
Vol=ser=(ref=dsn)
According to what you post and my copy of the C:D PDF doc I have, after a lot of trimming that looooooooooong and hard to read syntax diagram,

... try Vol=(ref=dsn) , but you have done that???

If not working, what version of C:D do you have?
Do you see any error message(s)?
Are you using C:D batch or online?

Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
2018-07-02 15:40:53 UTC
Using C:D 5.2 and yes I had tried that :-)

The 'error' message, if that is what you want to call it, claims invalid VOL=SER= usage.

Banging head against the wall removes the pain of trying to figure this out but that is only temporary.

Roger Bolan
Steve Beaver
2018-07-02 17:49:40 UTC
Suggestion

Code the parms on a DD statement and once you have that working transfer it to the CD COPY Statement

Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
2018-07-02 17:51:46 UTC
JCL and Connect:Direct syntax, while similar are not the same :-)

2018-07-02 17:20:33 UTC
Post by Roger Bolan
The syntax you showed makes me think that preceding commas are required.
That's what it seems to say, but does it mean it? Is this JCL, or an attempt to
replicate JCL syntax?

I can produce from this either:
VOL = ( , , , SER = ( serial-no[,serial-no,...] ) )
or:
VOL = ( REF = dsn )
(the parentheses are not indicated as optional.)

But the OP says he has tried the latter and failed.

RCF? "Enny fool kin plainly see what it means." is not polished
documentation.
Post by Roger Bolan
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
VOL = ( [PRIVATE],[RETAIN] ,[volume-sequence-no]
,[volume-count]
,[SER = (serial-no[,serial-no,...] ) ] ) | ( [SER = (serial-no,
[serial-no,...] ) | REF = dsn])
(Once, when I coded some SMP/E control statements intended for customers,
I used blanks as token separators rather than commas. A reviewer marked
me down for that; it wasn't documented. I went to RCF, saying that a ","
should appear as "[,]" wherever the "," is optional. IBM took the easy out
by adding a statement in the frontmatter of the Ref. that commas appeaing
in syntax diagrams are (usually?) optional.)

Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
2018-07-02 17:26:11 UTC
The use of VOL=SER=xxxxxx works but that is only useful for the 1st data set being copied. I've tried variations of ,'s also without success.

Time for a PMR :-)

d***@gmail.com
Using IUI, all it says is to separate subparameters with commas
Paul Gilmartin
2018-07-02 18:22:14 UTC
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
The use of VOL=SER=xxxxxx works but that is only useful for the 1st data set being copied. I've tried variations of ,'s also without success.
Time for a PMR :-)
What if they tell you that has to be an RFE? (I suppose that if there is a
documented function that simply doesn't work, PMR should be accepted.)

Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
2018-07-02 18:27:13 UTC
I don't think I can accept an RFE on this one - the documentation clearly shows it should work :-)

That and we need it to work

Joe Monk
2018-07-02 19:07:16 UTC
REF allows you to place a data set on the same volume as the referenced
data set. It must be cataloged on the system where it is referenced.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/CD_PROC_LANG/com.ibm.help.cdprocstmtsparams.doc/cdproc_stmt_zos_Process_Parameters.html

Joe

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 2:26 PM, Dyck, Lionel B. (RavenTek) <
Steve Thompson
2018-07-02 19:08:31 UTC
Folks:

If it is documented (and I don't have time to pull down the
latest doc), it will get addressed as a problem and not an RFE.

The C:D change team and the dev guys know the internals of the
product very well.

Regards,
Steve Thompson
2018-07-02 19:49:55 UTC
Post by Joe Monk
REF allows you to place a data set on the same volume as the referenced
data set. It must be cataloged on the system where it is referenced.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/CD_PROC_LANG/com.ibm.help.cdprocstmtsparams.doc/cdproc_stmt_zos_Process_Parameters.html
Not always, but good point:
([SER=(serial-no, [serial-no,...]) | ,REF=dsn])
specifies the volume serial number(s) containing the file and optional processing associated
with the file. If VOL is not specified with the FROM parameter, the file must be cataloged.

(They're careless about distinction between "file" and "data set".)

Is this trying to say that the default VOL for TO is the VOL specified on FROM?

Is it possible that Lionel is referring to a data set created in the same COPY
command and COPY does not ALLOCATE/CATALOG that data set until the
command runs?

But Lionel seems to indicate he's seeing a syntax error, not "Data set not found".

Joe Monk
2018-07-02 19:53:13 UTC
I think it is saying that the system picks the volume from the referenced
dsn, which must be cataloged (i.e. can't be a temp data set).

Joe

Steve Thompson
2018-07-03 17:23:39 UTC
Wow, this doc is not formatted the way it used to be.

When one does a copy, one can send the data or one can pull the
data. Let us assume that the system that starts the process is
the one in control (Process control *AND* PNODE), and that one is
going to copy *from* the PNODE to the SNODE (again, it can be
done the other way).

Now, where the data set is going *TO* one can use REF=dsn, and
this will force that data set being copied to the same VOLUME as
the DSN specified by the REF=.

Why would one want to do this?

One may want or need to do this because one knows the name of a
DSN on the client's system and by using that reference, one can
put another file over there where the client has asked for it to be.

HTHs

Steve Thompson
Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
2018-07-05 10:52:15 UTC
The use we need to to xfer a tape with multiple files on it (label=1,2,3,....) and thus need the vol=ref.

The working syntax after a suggestion from ibm is VOL=(,RETAIN,REF=dsn)

And since we are using GDG's it must be VOL=(,RETAIN,REF='dsn')

Steve Thompson
2018-07-05 15:16:32 UTC
If you had just said tape...

And things are kinda different with VTS -- but, I hope you are
using checkpointing so that a restart doesn't require starting
from scratch. All of that will be handled under the covers.

A certain company was running C:D 5.0 and their partner was
running the latest and they hit this. And it was ugly -- I was
reading the traces and it finally hit me -- this was a
maintenance problem.

The fix was for the down level system to come up on the IBM
version of C:D for z/OS because the 5.0 version was not
understanding a change in the restart handshaking -- and had
recently gone out of service.

Regards,
Steve Thompson
Clem Clarke
2018-07-10 23:38:29 UTC
VOL=REF=*.Ddname can be used here.

It seems that once you refer to a data set on the Passed Data Set Queue,
then it has been marked as received, and hence cannot be referenced
again in the same job step.

However, using a previous ddname overcomes that, and also picks up the
correct volume if a tape fills, and another is being written to.

Clem
Edward Finnell
2018-07-10 23:46:42 UTC
Don't forget to increment the LABEL=

2018-07-02 20:35:40 UTC
Post by Joe Monk
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/CD_PROC_LANG/com.ibm.help.cdprocstmtsparams.doc/cdproc_stmt_zos_Process_Parameters.html
... If VOL is not specified with the FROM parameter, the file must be cataloged.
This appears to be "the exception that proves the rule":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exception_that_proves_the_rule#Original_meaning

According to Cicero, this means that if VOL *is* specified on the FROM parameter,
the "file" need not be catalogued. Must FROM and TO refer to the same dsn?
If so, wouldn't it be copying a data set over itself? Or might "file" be a different
member of the same PDS(E)?

Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
2018-07-03 11:26:33 UTC
The problem was the TO was a GDG and the dsn needed to be in quotes :-)

thx

Lionel B. Dyck (Contractor) <sdg><
Mainframe Systems Programmer - RavenTek Solution Partners

After pouring thru the connect:direct pubs and finding that REF= is support, I've not been able to find the correct syntax to do a VOL=REF=dsn within a Connect:Direct Proc on the TO parameters.

Can anyone offer any suggestions/advice/direction?

The documented syntax is:

VOL = ( [PRIVATE],[RETAIN] ,[volume-sequence-no] ,[volume-count] ,[SER = (serial-no[,serial-no,...] ) ] ) | ( [SER = (serial-no, [serial-no,...] ) | REF = dsn])

We've tried:

Vol=ref=dsn
Vol=(ref=dsn)
Vol=ser=(ref=dsn)
This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. To reply to our email administrator directly, send an email to ***@toysrus.com. Toys "R" Us, Inc.

2018-07-03 12:24:10 UTC
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
The problem was the TO was a GDG and the dsn needed to be in quotes :-)
In quotes? It is not documented in the C:D manuals (at naming conventions and syntax diagram for VOL=) or I missed that somewhere. Where dsn (lowercase) is documented, no mentioning of quotes are stated.

Ok, I will remember that. Many thanks, Lionel.

On to the next quest! ;-)

Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
2018-07-03 12:28:01 UTC
The quotes had to be around the GDG DSN in the VOL=(,RETAIN,REF='gdg.dsn(0)')

Go figure - hoping they take an apar on that as the syntax error message was totally worthless.

I also found a RESGDG keyword but could not find any explanation of what it does?

Another Question: Is there a way to serialize multiple COPY's within a PROCESS?

Steve Thompson
2018-07-03 17:35:42 UTC
Nuts, I was answering this, thinking I had the latest to find out
I did not.

The parser used by C:D for z/OS has some issues. This is probably
a doc error. I'm afraid that the GDG has to be done enclosed with
apostrophes.

But, contact support (whoever actually had this problem) and
point them to the DOC and what had to be done to get it to work.
And ask them about an RFE.

Next question on serialization: If you run a process to do a
copy, the process steps are done in the order given.

So could you be a little more specific on what you are trying to
serialize?

Regards,
Steve Thompson