IP PrintWay problem
Marian Gasparovic
2004-06-09 12:32:38 UTC
Hello all,
we have set up InfoPrint Server and IP Printway, so
that we can print both from windows workstations and
from z/OS batch to network printers through TCP/IP.
From windows, it works (and yes, I am sure it goes
through infoprint server, when I stop printer in jes2,
I can see print job on spool and when I start printer
again, it goes there) _But_ using the same printer
from printer inventory in batch prints only separator
page and data contain only one line which is name of
spool dataset (like n1.user.jobnumber.d0000101.?) and
the rest is empty. When I try to print bigger output,
it uses more pages (but empty).
I print through IEBGENER, like
//SYSUT2 DD SYSOUT=K,DEST=PRINTER1

Any ideas ?
Thank you

=====
===================
Marian Gasparovic
===================
"The mere thought hadn't even begun to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing my mind."

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
E***@ibm-main.lst
2004-06-09 16:28:26 UTC
In a message dated 6/9/2004 7:33:01 AM Central Standard Time,
***@YAHOO.COM writes:
spool dataset (like n1.user.jobnumber.d0000101.?) and
the rest is empty. When I try to print bigger output,
it uses more pages (but empty).
I print through IEBGENER, like
//SYSUT2 DD SYSOUT=K,DEST=PRINTER1
It's very tedious. Have to go the Printway (OS or OU from IKJACCNT) panels
and define
the printway printers and queues and options. Some of it is straight forward,
but spent a lot of time trial and error to get it to work. There's also
config work on the printer itself. Speaks to standards and the like. The PCL queue
name and Postscript names should be different.

Started with an HP4100 and it's something like

//SYSUT2 DD SYSOUT=K,DEST='ip:xxx.yyy.14.112',PRTOPTNS='HPLAN',
// PRTQUEUE='HPAUTO'

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
""@bama.ua.edu
2004-06-09 18:40:56 UTC
Post by E***@ibm-main.lst
name and Postscript names should be different.
Started with an HP4100 and it's something like
//SYSUT2 DD SYSOUT=K,DEST='ip:xxx.yyy.14.112',PRTOPTNS='HPLAN',
// PRTQUEUE='HPAUTO'
I would like to point out, windows and zos prints go similar way. For
Windows, InfoPrint gives data to spool, in zOS batch job puts them there.
Then they go the same way, same outclass, same printer, different results :
( I hoped I was missing something obvious)

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
E***@ibm-main.lst
2004-06-09 19:28:22 UTC
In a message dated 6/9/2004 1:41:22 PM Central Standard Time,
***@YAHOO.COM writes:
Then they go the same way, same outclass, same printer, different results :
( I hoped I was missing something obvious)
That's the tedious part. Windows is ASCII and generally inserts crlf as
required. From host
you have to tell it it's text that's where different print options come in.
The IP Printway manual is pretty good especially if you have HP printers.
Another trick is to LPR from host with LANDSCAPE option. This forces PS conversion
and makes pretty.

Think it's just ==>lpr filename host big.honkin.hostname printer printer1
landscape

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
""@bama.ua.edu
2004-06-10 11:16:09 UTC
I probably just found out how stupid I was (thanks Ed). Can anybody confirm
that if I want to print pure text from batch to some fancy HP network
printer (using IP PrintWay), it must be converted to PCL or PS. So I need
to set "resubmit for filtering" and set afp2pcl filter which is a priced
product. Am I right ?
Marian
Jan Redding
2004-06-10 23:54:19 UTC
No. IP PrintWay will automatically convert line data (created by a
batch job) to text to be printed on a PCL or PS printer. If it is
straight line data, you don't need a filter or resubmit for filtering.

I believe that you are telling me that if the file comes through the
Infoprint Server lpd (such as from a Windows workstation), it formats
correctly, but if you print from batch, you only get one line. Is this
correct?

These kinds of problems are usually a set-up problem with the printer
definition, or else it is a data problem (garbage in, garbage out), but
I suspect based on your description that it is a problem with the
printer definition. Please post the output of a pidu display of the
printer definition for the target printer. The command syntax is:
pidu -c 'display printer myprintername ;'
where "myprintername" is the name of your printer definition.

Jan Redding
IBM Printing Systems
Matthew Stitt
2004-06-10 14:35:55 UTC
No.

We code the PCL commands in the "before" area of the printer definition to get the printout formatted the way we want.

We also have a separator page exit which also sends the PCL commands.

We don't use the "resubmit for filtering" options.

Post by E***@ibm-main.lst
and makes pretty.
Think it's just ==>lpr filename host big.honkin.hostname printer printer1
landscape
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential to abc distributing, llc.
("abc"), and may contain proprietary or copyrighted materials belonging to abc, which
are intended solely for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you
are notified that any copying, dissemination, distribution or disclosure of any or all of its
contents, and any action taken in reliance on the transmission, are unauthorized and
prohibited. Please notify abc immediately by e-mail reply if you have received this
transmission in error and take all necessary and appropriate actions to permanently
delete it from your system.

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
E***@ibm-main.lst
2004-06-10 16:27:02 UTC
In a message dated 6/10/2004 6:16:29 AM Central Standard Time,
***@YAHOO.COM writes:
I probably just found out how stupid I was (thanks Ed). Can anybody confirm
that if I want to print pure text from batch to some fancy HP network
printer (using IP PrintWay), it must be converted to PCL or PS. So I need
to set "resubmit for filtering" and set afp2pcl filter which is a priced
product. Am I right ?
In general Printway is just fancy wrapper for LPR. PS, PCL and AFP options
are priced features of each printer. Again, this is where the tedium and
experience come in to play.
Each printer will have a queue or queue name for a particular service. Guess
I found this out
as we rolled from Novell Netware to UNIX. The mapping from the mainframe to
LAN by Infoprint includes a queue name. In the printer setup(usually from PC or
buttons on the printer the new ones have web interface to set config). To
print text from mainframe the Infoprint Transformer is not required just have to
have a text or auto as a queue name.

Infoprint Transformer is not a priced feature. The transformer programs are
priced like fonts.
afp2pcl, afp2ps, afp2sap afp2pdf, etc. The reverse pdf2afp etc come with the
transformer.

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
""@bama.ua.edu
2004-06-11 11:57:58 UTC
just have to have a text or auto as a queue name.
Ed, "text" queue solved the problem. There was nobody able to tell us if
there are any queue defined on that printer. How could I have found it ? Is
this documented somewhere ?
Thank you
Marian

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO
Jan Redding
2004-06-11 17:20:49 UTC
For the lpr protocol, you have to specify an IP address (or host name)
and print queue name. The print queue names are defined by the printer
hardware vendors. So to find out what print queue names you need to
use, you need to consult the printer manufacturer's documentation. TEXT
and RAW are queue names used for some IBM printers, most HP printers,
and most Lexmark printers. As you noted, you need to specify TEXT for
line/text data. RAW is used for formatted data such as PCL and
PostScript.

There is a little bit of information about this in the Infoprint Server
Operation and Administration book, in the chapter on Planning printer
definitions for IP PrintWay. But the definitive source is the printer
manufacturer's specifications.

Jan Redding
IBM Printing Systems

E***@ibm-main.lst
2004-06-11 16:10:01 UTC
It's part of the setup of the printer. I've always used HP printers so it was
pretty straight forward. The new IBM(Lexmark) printers are even more flexible
being able to do PSF via IP and support PCL and PS as well.

send email to ***@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO