TCPIP Translation tables
ITschak Mugzach
2017-12-25 06:02:31 UTC
Merry Christmas!

A rexx exec running under z/os 2.1 is using sockets to send data to a
windows server. I am calling SO_ASCII, get return code zero, but the name
of the translation table is missing. the only translation table defined is
TCPIP.STANDARD.TCPXLBIN. I noticed that the double quotation mark (") is
not translated well. I looked at the second row in the translation table at
offset x'7b' and x'7d' and it look like there is an offset of few bytes
there.
I also noticed that when I print the packet before send, it prints the
character ":" instead of the double quotation mark (but ISPF shows it
right).
what amazed me is that it worked well last time I looked into it. Any idea
why this happens first it TSO vs ISPF and second while translating using
SO_ASCII.

Itschak
--
ITschak Mugzach
*|** IronSphere Platform* *|** Automatic ISCM** (Information Security

2017-12-25 17:11:01 UTC
Post by ITschak Mugzach
Merry Christmas!
A rexx exec running under z/os 2.1 is using sockets to send data to a
windows server. I am calling SO_ASCII, get return code zero, but the name
of the translation table is missing. the only translation table defined is
TCPIP.STANDARD.TCPXLBIN. I noticed that the double quotation mark (") is
not translated well. I looked at the second row in the translation table at
offset x'7b' and x'7d' and it look like there is an offset of few bytes
there.
What protocol are you using?

What code page(s) are you using?
Post by ITschak Mugzach
I also noticed that when I print the packet before send, it prints the
character ":" instead of the double quotation mark (but ISPF shows it
right).
Is ":" TSO's behavior for an unrecognized code point?
Post by ITschak Mugzach
what amazed me is that it worked well last time I looked into it. Any idea
why this happens first it TSO vs ISPF and second while translating using
SO_ASCII.
ISPF may be aware of terminal code page; TSO may not.

Do you need SO_ASCII to convert commands? You might have better control
to convert the data with iconv and switch back to binary to transmit the data.

ITschak Mugzach
2017-12-25 17:46:26 UTC
Hello Paul.

- Protocol is HTTP
- D UNI,A displays first 01047-1200(13488)-r first (but there others)
- not sure how to determine the unrecognized code point...
- True. I am using terminal type 3278 translation table.
- regrading the translation, this is a good idea to do that myself.
thanks, will try that.

thanks,
ITschak

ITschak Mugzach
2017-12-25 17:58:36 UTC
tested with no conversion, does not convert http header, SO_ASCII is a
must. I can't understand the issue with the { to : translation in TSO...

ITschak
Post by ITschak Mugzach
Hello Paul.
- Protocol is HTTP
- D UNI,A displays first 01047-1200(13488)-r first (but there others)
- not sure how to determine the unrecognized code point...
- True. I am using terminal type 3278 translation table.
- regrading the translation, this is a good idea to do that myself.
thanks, will try that.
thanks,
ITschak

2017-12-25 19:08:40 UTC
Post by ITschak Mugzach
tested with no conversion, does not convert http header, SO_ASCII is a
must. I can't understand the issue with the { to : translation in TSO...
With CMS RXSOCKET, a quadrant of the Galaxy far away, I believe I have
sent commands with SO_ASCII, then switched to binary for message body.

(The TCPCLIENT stage is considerable argument for CMS/TSO Pipelines
on z/OS.)
Post by ITschak Mugzach
Post by ITschak Mugzach
- Protocol is HTTP
Are you the client or the server?
Post by ITschak Mugzach
Post by ITschak Mugzach
- D UNI,A displays first 01047-1200(13488)-r first (but there others)
- not sure how to determine the unrecognized code point...
- True. I am using terminal type 3278 translation table.
x3270 and probably many others provide dozens of terminal character sets.
For example, I can set host CCSID to IBM-1047 and client to UTF-8.

There's an ISPF command to display the terminal charset (as seen
by the host).

ISPF Edit/View is fairly clever at handling UNIX files tagged with CCSID
if the terminal CCSID matches.