Testing zOS 2.3 ?
2017-08-10 06:04:37 UTC
Hi

Is anyone performing any kind of testing on zOS 2.3 and found any defects
or any gotchas ?

Tom Conley
2017-08-10 11:11:12 UTC
Post by Peter
Hi
Is anyone performing any kind of testing on zOS 2.3 and found any defects
or any gotchas ?
Peter
They could tell ya, but then they'd have to kill ya.

2017-08-10 12:42:11 UTC
I guess I am not sure what you are looking for.

When z/OS V2.3 is GA then it would have gone through QA by IBM and Pre Release sites. Any issues would have been addressed at that point if they were found.

Next, the migration guide for z/OS V2.3 that would be presented at Share which will provide areas you need to review.

Other than those events which should cover most questions about z/OS V2.3, what else would you be looking for?

I found this link that may be helpful

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.e0zm100/e0z3msoc_V2R3_GA.htm

Behalf Of Peter
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 11:06 PM
Subject: Testing zOS 2.3 ?
2017-08-10 13:17:28 UTC
Is anyone performing any kind of testing on zOS 2.3 and found any defects or any gotchas ?
It depends... but you (and the rest of prospective z/OS v2.3 users) will _not_ get any info at this stage.

What do you have in mind? What type of tests? From what z/OS version do you want to upgrade?

As Tom Conley said ... "They could tell ya, but then they'd have to kill ya."

He is not making fun of you, but I believe it is at this time too early to ask for details of those testing. [1]

Wait until 2017-09-29 according to [2] when it is GA, then you can ask again to big blue and IBM-MAIN.

[1] - I know (it was told to me years ago) that big blue is testing themselves and also ask some vendors and clients to do testing after signing a NDA of course.

[2] - Datasheet - https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?htmlfid=ZSD00998USEN&

2017-08-10 13:25:05 UTC
Is anyone performing any kind of testing on zOS 2.3 and found any defects or any gotchas ?
Lizette gave you a good URL (summary of changes) for your info.

Here is another interesting URL (what is new for consideration) for you:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.e0za100/chnewfu.htm

Have fun until the GA date!

2017-08-10 16:20:27 UTC
Post by Elardus Engelbrecht
Is anyone performing any kind of testing on zOS 2.3 and found any defects or any gotchas ?
Lizette gave you a good URL (summary of changes) for your info.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.e0za100/chnewfu.htm
Have fun until the GA date!
Also:
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/library/bkserv/
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/zoslib/pdf/c27843007.zip

Brian Westerman
2017-08-11 09:12:18 UTC
If you have specific problems with z/OS 2.2 that you know about and they are not addressed in the existing docs on 2.3, then it's likely not addressed in the first GA of 2.3. I am aware of several problems, but only because I opened them recently on 2.2, and I know they have not been addressed on 2.3 (yet, because I asked). That doesn't mean that by the time September rolls around that they won't be fixed.

After all, that's half the fun of installing the brand new release.

Brian

Ed Jaffe
2017-08-17 22:34:33 UTC
https://share.confex.com/data/handout/share/129/Session_21586_handout_10845_0.pdf
--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc

Richards, Robert B.
2017-08-18 15:55:34 UTC
Ed,

Speaking of SHARE presentations..... :-)

Does anyone know when will they be made available?

Thanks for attaching yours. Very informative.

Bob