dynamic rexx function package
Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
2017-09-13 13:04:23 UTC
Has anyone developed a dynamic rexx function package tool that can be called when a rexx exec starts and then be easily removed when it ends - kinda like dynamic steplib?

(cross posted to ibm-main, tso-rexx, and ispf-l)
Lionel B. Dyck
Mainframe Systems Programmer - TRA

Steve Beaver
2017-09-13 14:37:27 UTC
I have seen some REXX EXEC packages and they are relatively easy to write in
HLASM

The downside is that they would have to be put on the LNKLST or reallocated
on the ISPLLIB, and like everything
Else in zOS, you would have to the IKJ member in Parmlib for it to function
properly

Steve

to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

ITschak Mugzach
2017-09-13 16:58:25 UTC
Lionel.

Don;t know what exactly the need, but TSO (Rexx) supplies environment
initialization & termination exits.

ITschak
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
Has anyone developed a dynamic rexx function package tool that can be
called when a rexx exec starts and then be easily removed when it ends -
kinda like dynamic steplib?
(cross posted to ibm-main, tso-rexx, and ispf-l)
Lionel B. Dyck
Mainframe Systems Programmer - TRA
ITschak Mugzach
*|** IronSphere Platform* *|** Automatic ISCM** (Information Security
Contiguous Monitoring) **| *

2017-09-13 18:07:24 UTC
Hint: RXSUBCOM
Caveat: A version is available with DB2 or there is the version available
from: Open Software Technologies product REXXTOOLS/MVS
"RXSUBCOM: a function for dynamically maintaining host command
environments. As with RXFUNC, RXSUBCOM pre-loads the load module associated
with a function to enhance performance." [this is from the REXXTOOLS/MVS
Documentation, but I also believe it applies to the DB2 version]
Now the BAD (or "My Bad!"): Sorry, but I do not how to get a copy of
RXSUBCOM or source, to you and second, I do not know how to write a package
for RXSUBCOM. Maybe I should have said "Tease" instead of "Hint" above. :-)
Basically what I am trying to say is that, YES, what I think you want is
available, but how to get there ????????????? I HAVE NO CLUE!
Maybe you will have better luck to find something out there about RXSUBCOM
and its ability to update the "host command table?"
Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer 3
UFIT
University of Florida
(352) 273-1298
​I'm not certain, but I think this may be what is wanted:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ikja300/funcpk.htm

[quote]

You can write your own external functions and subroutines, which allow you
to extend the capabilities of the REXX language. You can write external
functions or subroutines that supplement the built-in functions or TSO/E
external functions that are provided. You can also write a function to
replace one of the functions that is provided. For example, if you want a
new substring function that performs differently from the SUBSTR built-in
function, you can write your own substring function and name it STRING.
Users at your installation can then use the STRING function in their execs.

[/quote]​
--
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Nims,Alva John , Al
2017-09-13 18:12:28 UTC
Yep, that is it in generic form, RXSUBCOM is just a specific name someone gave it.

Thank you, John.

Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer 3
UFIT
University of Florida
(352) 273-1298

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ibm.com_support_knowledgecenter_en_SSLTBW-5F2.1.0_com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ikja300_funcpk.htm&d=DwIFaQ&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=0Ef64GJS77DVfhr5GGKZeQ&m=KsgtoUM0N6G87W1v-AQ1dYWc0qn6NepO9apoJkAYVt4&s=Ls39SI2-wv7FmXqVO59zRqiiZNYj7eQYpQDtxIsoSro&e=

Ron hesketh
2017-09-14 01:43:11 UTC
Hi Lionel,
If I've understood correctly, you can use IRXSUBCM to dynamically
define a host command enviroment.
I've used it for a DB2 host command environment I wrote years ago, long
before the days of DSNREXX.
REXHCE is a rexx function I wrote to call IRXSUBCM .

CALL REXHCE "ADD","DB2","REXDB2";

ADDRESS DB2 "CONNECT "SSID ;

do db2 stuff

CALL REXHCE "DELETE",ADD","DB2","REXDB2";

Regards,
Ron

From: "Dyck, Lionel B. (TRA)" <***@VA.GOV>
To: IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU,
Date: 13/09/2017 09:05 PM
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

Has anyone developed a dynamic rexx function package tool that can be
called when a rexx exec starts and then be easily removed when it ends -
kinda like dynamic steplib?

(cross posted to ibm-main, tso-rexx, and ispf-l)
Lionel B. Dyck
Mainframe Systems Programmer - TRA

This email has been scanned by the Bankwest Email Security System.

Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and may not be authentic.
If you have any doubts as to the contents please telephone to confirm.

This electronic transmission including any attachments is intended only
for those to whom it is addressed. It may contain copyright material or
information that is confidential, privileged or exempt from disclosure by law.
Any claim to privilege is not waived or lost by reason of mistaken transmission
of this information. If you are not the intended recipient you must not
distribute or copy this transmission and should please notify the sender.
Your costs for doing this will be reimbursed by the sender.

We do not accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption,
delay, interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.

Salva Carrasco
2017-09-14 15:55:46 UTC
I think it is not documented, but must exits.

You can use IRXFLOC, an empty one in LINKLIB.

Gilson Cesar de Oliveira
2017-09-14 16:11:34 UTC
Dear list:

I'd like to know if there is a way to configure a line (Lx.ST1) to select different sizes of sysouts (size in terms of lines) when starting a connection.
I know that after a connection have been stablished, you can change the options LIMIT and WS on order to have the following:
$TLx.ST1,LIMIT=(0,30000)
$TLx.ST1,WS=(LIMIT)

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Gilson

Cieri, Anthony
2017-09-14 17:18:59 UTC
I believe that this is possible by associating the "modified" line with the particular NJE node.

We do something like the following:

Code the desired LINE parameters in the JES2 Initialization Parameters:

LINE(xx) JRNUM=1,JTNUM=1,SRNUM=1,STNUM=1,UNIT=SNA (or UNIT=TCP)
L(xx).ST(1) WS=(LIM/),LIMIT=(0-30000)

Then associate the LINE above with the desired NJE node, via the APPL statement for a SNA NJE Node or the SOCKET statement for a TCP/IP NJE Node.

APPL(njeappl1) NODE=nn,,LINE=xx

Or

SOCKET(njesock1) NODE=nn,,LINE=xx

Hth
Tony

scott Ford
2017-09-18 01:52:58 UTC
Lionel,

I have been think about a function package also, I like object rexx ..would
like to see more it's functions in the Mainframe world.
I am thinking about writing it in C or C++.

Scott
Post by Salva Carrasco
I think it is not documented, but must exits.
You can use IRXFLOC, an empty one in LINKLIB.
Scott Ford
IDMWORKS
z/OS Development