Effect of SET PROG=xx
Ed Jaffe
2017-06-07 01:01:34 UTC
only dumb developers
I like you too, Tom. I thought we were friends. <g>
Perhaps he was referring to the IBM developers that made MVS SET
commands sometimes work additively and sometimes as full replacement. LOL
--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc

2017-06-07 17:28:19 UTC
Easy for you and me to redesign MVS retroactively but yes, your point is well-taken. It would seem that for the same effort as Set PROG= IBM could have produced a much more generally useful console command to cause MVS to read and "execute" a file of console commands, presumably possibly including SETPROG,APF,ADD and DELETE.

Or perhaps such a command exists (I am not much of a console operator)? If so, why then SET PROG= at all? Why not just use that facility?