[EXTERNAL] Re: dynamic rexx function package
Add Reply
Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
2017-09-13 17:06:21 UTC
My thought was to avoid creating a function package and all that goes with it and hoping there was a dynamic way to do it.

Or at least to dynamically load a rexx function module at the start of an exec so that it would be referenced in storage rather than being loaded/deleted when used, and then to unload it when done.

I may be off base but it seems like a nice thing to do to improve the performance when using modules for rexx functions and not having to create a function package.

Lionel B. Dyck
Mainframe Systems Programmer - TRA

2017-09-13 17:57:31 UTC
Hint: RXSUBCOM

Caveat: A version is available with DB2 or there is the version available from: Open Software Technologies product REXXTOOLS/MVS

"RXSUBCOM: a function for dynamically maintaining host command environments. As with RXFUNC, RXSUBCOM pre-loads the load module associated with a function to enhance performance." [this is from the REXXTOOLS/MVS Documentation, but I also believe it applies to the DB2 version]

Now the BAD (or "My Bad!"): Sorry, but I do not how to get a copy of RXSUBCOM or source, to you and second, I do not know how to write a package for RXSUBCOM. Maybe I should have said "Tease" instead of "Hint" above. :-)

Basically what I am trying to say is that, YES, what I think you want is available, but how to get there ????????????? I HAVE NO CLUE!

Maybe you will have better luck to find something out there about RXSUBCOM and its ability to update the "host command table?"

Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer 3
UFIT
University of Florida