Where is the WLM website???
Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2018-06-07 10:19:35 UTC
Cheryl's newsletter 2017-4 contains an interesting article about the LPAR Design Tool. It contains a link to this tool on the WLM site and I thought, I'd like take a look at it.

Of course IBM has shaken up its website again and the link has gone and I receive a commercial page about how quickly I should by z-systems.

Then I thought, I use my saved link to the WLM site to get the tool: also this one does not work anymore.
And even searching for the tool on the IBM website reports 33333 totally irrelevant hits from the (un)Knowlegde Center and when I search for "LPAR Design Tool" nothing is found.

Is IBM really running for a price in the most un-useful website contest?

Does anyone has a working link to the WLM site and/or to the tool?

Grtn,
Kees.

For information, services and offers, please visit our web site: http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered number 33014286

2018-06-07 12:09:55 UTC
Post by Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
Does anyone has a working link to the WLM site and/or to the tool?
I tried some save links but all of them end up at either
- www.ibm.com/it-infrastructure/z/..... (note the lower case z, hi, hi)
- the famous IBM KC

<rant on>
Neither of this is helpful. It seems another m.... has succeeded in hindering us to find information, and finding it efficiently.

Why , why, why, IBM, are you breaking links again and again?? ##$&%*<£$$**sch...

</rant on>

Horst Sinram
2018-06-07 12:19:13 UTC
Hi Kees,

glad that someone notices :-)
But seriously - while some restructuring of the web site is ongoing we're working on cutting over to mostly github based repositories.
If you open the presentation at https://github.com/IBM/IBM-Z-zOS/blob/master/zOS-WLM/WLM%20Tools.pdf you'll see a summary of the WLM related tools. Alain's LPAR design tool can be downloaded from
ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/eserver/zseries/zos/wlm/LPARDesign-HD-zPCR-V9-T03_IBM.zip

We expect a restructured "web page" to become available shortly at
https://github.com/IBM/IBM-Z-zOS/tree/master/zOS-WLM/WLM%20Documents.md
(It is NOT up and running as of today).

Horst Sinram - STSM, IBM z/OS Workload and Capacity Management

Cheryl Watson
2018-06-07 12:41:39 UTC
Hi Horst,

Thanks for the pointer. I just found it after a LOOOOONG search. IBM needs to learn about aliases.

This is a HUGE problem. I just went through my IBM favorite links and almost none of them work. Even zfavorites doesn't work anymore. This isn't just a WLM problem - it's the entire IBM website. The one I use the most is for software pricing and after two months I still have to search for the things that were so easy to find before.

Who can I formally complain to? I want to make a case for them creating aliases for the most common links. And in addition, don't forget to add a menu of site locations in the pull-down. Now, all it does is link to a KC manual that doesn't help at all.

I can't even write a requirement for it because it affects every single component of z/OS and would be rejected.

This is ridiculous!

Unhappily,
Cheryl

===========================
Cheryl Watson
Watson & Walker, Inc.
1661 Ringling Blvd, PMB 49886
Sarasota, FL 34230
Phone: 941-924-6565
www.watsonwalker.com
===========================

Susan Shumway
2018-06-07 13:42:59 UTC
Hi Cheryl (and all),

You're spot on when you say it's the entire IBM website. There was a
huge initiative to streamline ibm.com by removing pretty much everything
except marketing-related content, with last week marking the end of the
line for most pages. All teams have been working hard to move content
and set up URL redirects, but, as Horst mentioned, the work continues.

I'll pass these comments on to the initiative leads so that they're
aware of the specific problems and can hopefully direct resolutions ASAP.

-Sue Shumway
Post by Cheryl Watson
[...]
Sue Shumway
z/OS Product Documentation Lead
IBM Poughkeepsie
***@us.ibm.com

2018-06-07 16:02:24 UTC
Post by Susan Shumway
I'll pass these comments on to the initiative leads so that they're
aware of the specific problems and can hopefully direct resolutions ASAP.

<warning>
if your faint-hearted, don't read on.
</warning>

<rant on, again>
Someone better go off and kick'em in the ... and tell those useless m.... to go and look for another job. The Internet lives from links, from stable links. IBM has been the world leader in restructuring its websites and re-breaking links for years. But least the important ones to us technicians have survived so far.

I wouldn't have imagined that someone can be so dumb and do what IBM seems to have done now.

IBM is currently making it worse and worse for me to do my job. I need to be able to find information. Every valuable redpiece, every valuable redbook, every valuable presentation has links in it, useful links. If IBM is willingly breaking those links, the I understand that IBM is willingly sabotaging to our work.
</rant on, again>

I had not intent to offend anyone, except those responsible for this disaster.

I've gotten upset for quite some time whenever I was looking us something on IBM site. This has to get out once.

2018-06-07 17:07:13 UTC
The web is not the Internet. The Internet doesn't know from links.

Tom Conley
2018-06-08 02:01:24 UTC
Post by Susan Shumway
Post by Susan Shumway
[...]
On the contrary Peter, your comments are mild compared to the damage IBM
has done to us with this latest debacle. I was wondering earlier this
week why IBM's largest clients would consider taking highly sensitive
data off a mainframe and move it to an off-prem public cloud. I'm
wondering no longer.

1. Red Alert in January for service certs, when anyone at IBM paying
attention should have known weeks in advance.
2. GDPR changes to upload data to IBM given to us 1 DAY (!!) before
implementation in May. 1 DAY! Again, anyone at IBM paying attention
should have given us many weeks notice of this change.
3. Redesign IBM's web site so that all the technical links are broken,
and only marketing links remain. Brilliant strategy there. All that
served to do is alienate your existing clients and start them thinking
about AWS if they hadn't done so already.

These things happen because many parts of IBM have stopped caring.
Somebody at IBM thinks they'll get new customers with this wholesale web
site redesign, but I think it's going to backfire on them. It's going
to make folks like us less able to do our jobs. I fail to see how IBM's
web site redesign benefits anyone, least of all IBM. And before you say
"Github", that was supposed to be an ORDERLY migration, not a
pull-the-plug-now and we'll get the stuff to Github whenever.

I don't know who's minding the store at IBM, but they're asleep at the
swtich right now. This does not bode well for the future of the mainframe.

Regards,
Tom Conley

Edward Finnell
2018-06-08 04:20:03 UTC
Yeah, I accused them of using their own software. This should not be a fool's errand. "Hey y'all watch this" usually does not lead to expected results. Do you have "Project Planing Software"? Can you drive it? M$ just bought github!

Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2018-06-08 13:21:06 UTC
I didn't realize the issue was that big, when I lost my temper about the WLM website.
It seems a opened a can of worms, although the Dutch version of this expression seems more appropriate: I seem to have opened up a cesspool.

Kees.

Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2018-06-07 13:23:16 UTC
Hi Horst,

Were you afraid you could remove the website, without anybody noticing it? That would indeed be a sad idea!

Anyway, thanks for the pointers.

But I agree with Cheryl, IBM should keep the information available to users in some way, or at least provide a 'search' function that is useful, but even this one is useless.
(suppose: KLM is reorganizing its website and you cannot book a flight in the coming 2 weeks, we can only show you some glossy info pages. Can you imagine this?)

Kees.

Tom Conley
2018-06-07 13:33:34 UTC
Post by Cheryl Watson
Hi Horst,
Were you afraid you could remove the website, without anybody noticing it? That would indeed be a sad idea!
Anyway, thanks for the pointers.
But I agree with Cheryl, IBM should keep the information available to users in some way, or at least provide a 'search' function that is useful, but even this one is useless.
(suppose: KLM is reorganizing its website and you cannot book a flight in the coming 2 weeks, we can only show you some glossy info pages. Can you imagine this?)
FWIW, the RACF website is also off the air. Good luck finding DBSYNC
anyhere. Keep on keepin' on, IBM.

Regards,
Tom Conley

2018-06-07 14:52:00 UTC
All teams have been working hard to move content and set up URL redirects, but, as Horst mentioned, the work continues.
I'll pass these comments on to the initiative leads so that they're aware of the specific problems and can hopefully direct resolutions ASAP.
Many thanks and good luck to you and your teams to fix that. I really appreciate it that you are trying out to help.

Kudos to you! ;-)
Post by Cheryl Watson
The one I use the most is for software pricing and after two months I still have to search for the things that were so easy to find before.
I also searched for the site where 'IBM Z software pricing' (Yes, that Z is UpperCase!) is shown and found it at this new address:

https://www.ibm.com/it-infrastructure/z/software/pricing-tools

At least the site for 'License Management Support' is the same! ;-)

https://www-01.ibm.com/software/lms/index.wss
Now, all it does is link to a KC manual that doesn't help at all.
Another big blue mother of all links showing 'Popular product documentation' and other nice things like RedBooks, developerWorks, links to downloads, open a ticket, etc.:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/?lnk=ushpv18hcwh2&lnk2=support

This one for KC which I posted a while back is still working, whew! ;-)

https://www-304.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zosInternetLibrary?OpenDocument

Hope above links help you.

2018-06-07 15:09:28 UTC
FWIW, the RACF website is also off the air. Good luck finding DBSYNC anyhere. Keep on keepin' on, IBM.
Groan. I also find it to my dismay all my favourite RACF goodies are "poof" gone! :-(

Mind you, I wanted to review a [old] SHARE presentation at

... http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/racf/presentations.html

It is not there!
Post by Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
(suppose: KLM is reorganizing its website and you cannot book a flight in the coming 2 weeks, we can only show you some glossy info pages. Can you imagine this?)
Ohoh.... KLM (or any company) will get a lot of flak, foulmouthed tweets beside being sued and in the news for all the bad reasons...
... some glossy info pages ...
I am hyper allergic to that and I don't want to take medicines for it. ;-D

2018-06-07 18:32:07 UTC
(This time with text)

Before you kick out the PFCSKs, keep in mind that they will choose our retirement homes.

2018-06-07 19:35:07 UTC
(This time with text)
Before you kick out the PFCSKs, keep in mind that they will choose our retirement homes.
​Mine is already picked out, by Moore's. It has a nice soft velvet lining​
and a pillow with good neck support.
Behalf Of Allan Staller
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2018 9:06 AM
Ditto! Kick out the PFCSK's
[...]
Rap music is performed by those that can not sing so others can not think.

a***@de.ibm.com
2018-06-08 07:41:05 UTC
Here are the links to the new WLM internet landing page and GitHub:

WLM Landing Page:

https://www.ibm.com/it-infrastructure/z/zos-workload-management

WLM FAQs:

https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?htmlfid=85015385USEN&

WLM Github Repository:

https://github.com/IBM/IBM-Z-zOS/tree/master/zOS-WLM

WLM What is new:

https://github.com/IBM/IBM-Z-zOS/blob/master/zOS-WLM/What%20is%20new.md

WLM Documents:

https://github.com/andreashenicke/IBM-Z-zOS/blob/master/zOS-WLM/WLM%20Documents.md

WLM Tools:

https://github.com/IBM/IBM-Z-zOS/blob/master/zOS-WLM/WLM%20Tools.pdf

You also can download the tools direct from our ftp server:

ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/eserver/zseries/zos/wlm/

Kind regards,

Andreas Henicke
WLM Development