System Rexx - Where to discuss?
Add Reply
Tony Harminc
2017-06-07 15:49:39 UTC
Both ***@listserv.uga.edu and TSO-***@vm.marist.edu seem
moribund. I am trying to come to grips with various aspects of System
Rexx, but what little discussion there is here has been at a fairly
high level. Is there another group, or should I plough in on IBM-MAIN?

For a start, I'm having trouble understanding the notion of "output arguments".

Tony H.

2017-06-07 16:18:12 UTC
The TSO-REXX group is a little quiet but I do not think it is moribund.

You can post any REXX questions on TSO-REXX and you may get an answer on the REXX function. Or you can try IBMMAIN.

In either case, it helps to explain what is confusing.

And a snippet of code and expectations is always helpful.

Behalf Of Tony Harminc
IronSphere by SecuriTeam Software
2017-06-07 17:04:06 UTC
Hi Lizette.

Try ask here. For myself, i wrote somehundreds of routines so i may help.
ITschak

בתאריך 7 ביונ 2017 19:19,‏ "Lizette Koehler" <***@mindspring.com> כתב:

2017-06-07 18:00:03 UTC
When you invoke a systemrexx from an (assembler) program, you define the
variables, values and format. Your program can get a result fron the rexx
exec. These are the output variables defined in your assembler.

Have a look at the axrexx macro. There is a mample rexx and assembler pgm
that demonstrates that

ITschak

בתאריך 7 ביונ 2017 20:05,‏ "IronSphere by SecuriTeam Software" <
Tony Harminc
2017-06-07 19:49:19 UTC
On 7 June 2017 at 14:00, IronSphere by SecuriTeam Software
Post by IronSphere by SecuriTeam Software
When you invoke a systemrexx from an (assembler) program, you define the
variables, values and format. Your program can get a result fron the rexx
exec. These are the output variables defined in your assembler.
Yup - output *variables*. But I am puzzled by the notion of "output
arguments". The Rexx language has no such notion. I realize I can mark
arguments (as well as variables) as "output" on the AXREXX call, but
that doesn't explain to me how they are mapped. The doc says "For the
REXXARGS parameter, the entries mapped by AXRARGENTRY must appear in
the same order as the arguments specified on the ARG statement in the
REXX program", which makes sense on input. But I see no way for this
to work on output - there is nothing to say I have to use Parse Arg
(or short form Arg) at all, in fact I often use the Arg() function
instead. Also Parse Arg can be issued more than once. So where does
the interface get these output values, since it cannot always know
what variables (if any) those values went into.

If it is just saying that you can retrieve the value of some named
variables upon output, then what is the difference between that and an
output variable?
Post by IronSphere by SecuriTeam Software
Have a look at the axrexx macro. There is a sample rexx and assembler pgm that demonstrates that
Yes, I am running AXREXX and experimenting. But I would rather have
these things documented than have to tease everything out by
experiment.

Thanks... Tony H.