LPAR to LPAR access
Nelson, Judith
2017-09-19 14:12:38 UTC
Hi,
I am trying to find the best solution for the following problem.

We have two LPARs, one of them has DB2 running, the other one hasn't. We do not have a SYSPLEX.
We now want to access DB2 data in batch and through CICS, from the LPAR that doesn't have DB2 on it.

For the batch side, I looked at ODBC, but I couldn't find anything how to set this up from another z/OS.

I have set up a simple IPIC connection to connect CICS - CICS across LPAR's. The CICS's are talking. :)

Does anyone have any ideas that could help me?

Judith Nelson | Senior Systems Programmer
Sammons(r) Financial Group Member Companies
One Sammons Plaza | Sioux Falls, SD 57193
Phone: (605) 373-2321
***@sfgmembers.com<mailto:***@sfgmembers.com>

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Edgington, Jerry
2017-09-19 14:15:59 UTC
Judith,

I know of a couple of ways to get batch and CICS to access a remote DB2, which is what you are asking, I believe, because you don't want to setup a DB2 data sharing.

1) Within DB2, you can setup a database as a remote. DB2 admin should know how to do this.
2) BMC has a product that would allow CICS/Batch to connect to a remote DB2, like it is locally attached

Jerry

[...]

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and protected by law from unauthorized disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Nelson, Judith
2017-09-19 15:51:35 UTC
Hi Jerry,
You are correct with your assumption. :)

If I set up the database as remote, wouldn't I still need some kind of a client to connect to it?
Could you let me know which product from BMC would do this?

Thank you,

Judith Nelson

Edgington, Jerry
2017-09-19 16:21:59 UTC
Judith,

I think this link should help with the setup of remote database from DB2 on z/OS.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSEPEK_11.0.0/dshare/src/tpc/db2z_sysibmlocationsds.html

Here is the BMC tool
http://www.bmc.com/it-solutions/subsystem-optimizer.html

Edgington, Jerry

I think this link should help with the setup of remote database from DB2 on z/OS.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ibm.com_support_knowledgecenter_en_SSEPEK-5F11.0.0_dshare_src_tpc_db2z-5Fsysibmlocationsds.html&d=DwIFAg&c=WUZzGzAb7_N4DvMsVhUlFrsw4WYzLoMP5bgx2U7ydPE&r=gEY-_N3_t4QXFrS5e-OgAibMMWGnLPFFfmDVHG_3lz4&m=Q2qvjC85EobRWAgHVl-yX2v319f6i9cuTloWg-wjmsE&s=sJBowoFLA-8ocnbEpqCKvSdFmT2s355DrFGS5qkZq7M&e=

Here is the BMC tool
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.bmc.com_it-2Dsolutions_subsystem-2Doptimizer.html&d=DwIFAg&c=WUZzGzAb7_N4DvMsVhUlFrsw4WYzLoMP5bgx2U7ydPE&r=gEY-_N3_t4QXFrS5e-OgAibMMWGnLPFFfmDVHG_3lz4&m=Q2qvjC85EobRWAgHVl-yX2v319f6i9cuTloWg-wjmsE&s=8dcWbFRJZ5UFFIwGKMcoOv5gW9_-1ldLc-jEYbQmIgw&e=

Nelson, Judith
2017-09-19 16:58:53 UTC
Thank you Jerry!

Judith Nelson

Nelson, Judith
2017-09-19 21:41:57 UTC
Hi Jerry,
I have looked into the link to the remote database. As far as I understand this is that requires a db2 instance on both LPAR's. :(

Thank you,

Judith Nelson

2017-09-19 22:12:32 UTC
There are also lists that are specific to CICS and DB2 that may be helpful
should you have more questions

To join, if you have not done, go to these URLs.

For DB2 - www.idug.org

CICS http://www.listserv.uga.edu/archives/cics-l.html
[...]
of the original message.
Roger Lowe
2017-09-20 00:45:42 UTC
Judith/Jerry,
BMC's product (Subsystem Optimizer for zEnterprise "Subzero") requires a BASIC or PARALLEL Sysplex environment.

Roger
Yes, Judith. That is correct. I missed that in your email. However, I believe the BMC tool allows you to connect CICS and maybe batch on one LPAR to DB2 on another LPAR.
Nelson, Judith
2017-09-20 14:11:47 UTC
Hi Roger,
Thanks for the head's-up. We are not in a Sysplex.

Judith Nelson

Timothy Sipples
2017-09-20 05:17:50 UTC
You can configure your CICS "File Owning Region" (FOR) in CICS TS in the
LPAR with DB2, then access that FOR from any interconnected CICS regions --
and from interconnected TXSeries, for that matter. The folks in the CICS-L
mailing list likely can provide more details if you need them. Basically,
just put the CICS programs that make DB2 calls in CICS in the DB2 LPAR,
then run whatever non-DB2 CICS programs (that call the DB2-related CICS
programs) you want in your other CICS LPAR(s). It's classic, tried and true
"TOR/AOR/FOR" separation. (As an aside, nowadays there are also "Rules
Owning Regions," "Channel Owning Regions," "Mobile Owning Regions," and
whatever other "owning" regions you want to have as architectural best
practices.)

For batch, CICS's EXCI (external call interface) works via the same path.
If you're using Java (or mixed Java) batch then you can use the JDBC Type 4
driver, to pick another example.

HiperSockets and SMC-D LPAR-to-LPAR connectivities are recommended, if you
can.

It's best if you do some careful analysis to determine whether avoiding
adding DB2 to this particular LPAR is the right approach. For "occasional"
DB2 access, it's probably OK. For more intensive DB2 access, DB2 data
sharing is likely going to perform better and be more cost efficient.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: ***@sg.ibm.com

Nelson, Judith
2017-09-20 14:13:33 UTC
Hi Timothy,
Adding DB2 to the other LPAR sounds more and more the way to go.

Thanks for your response.

Judith Nelson

Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2017-09-20 14:20:22 UTC
Judith,

If you are referring to Timothy's "DB2 data Sharing", this requires a Parallel Sysplex.

Kees.
--------------------------------
Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
The information contained in this message is confidential, protected
from disclosure and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or an employee or agent
responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, copying, or any
action taken or action omitted in reliance on it, is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by replying to this message and destroy the
material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.
Thank you.
For information, services and offers, please visit our web site: http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered number 33014286

Nelson, Judith
2017-09-20 14:25:42 UTC
Thank you Kees for letting me know. :)

No good way to go for me. :(

Judith Nelson

Wayne Driscoll
2017-09-20 17:21:34 UTC
Db2 Data sharing isn't the only way to get 2 Db2 subsystems on different LPAR's to talk to each other. As long as the 2 LPAR's have some connectivity, TCP/IP etc. in common, it is possible to use Db2 distributed data facility to allow the 2 subsystems to communicate.
Wayne Driscoll
Rocket Software
Note - All opinions are strictly my own.

[...]

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.

2017-09-20 17:55:18 UTC
Post by Wayne Driscoll
Db2 Data sharing isn't the only way to get 2 Db2 subsystems on different LPAR's to talk to each other. As long as the 2 LPAR's have some connectivity, TCP/IP etc. in common, it is possible to use Db2 distributed data facility to allow the 2 subsystems to communicate.
But they do *not* currently have Db2 on both LPARs, I understand. She's looking for options to have Db2 data shipped over to the non-Db2 LPAR.

OT: Did IBM marketing morons rebrand DB2 into Db2 to make it easier to type it without errors on smartphone and tablet virtual keyboards? But then, they should have made it IBM z instead of IBM Z ;-)

Timothy Sipples
2017-09-21 05:29:54 UTC
Does anyone have any insight into the possibility that an RFE to
have 'client only' code on z/OS would be accepted?
Or a Db2 for z/OS client only license? No idea, but it probably doesn't
hurt to ask.

"Best guess" is that such a construction wouldn't be relevant to Judith's
case. She has Db2 already, so adding Db2 to another LPAR would be
incremental Db2 MSUs, comparatively affordable. (Or maybe not even
incremental MSUs, depending on 4HRA peaks.) Hypothetical client only Db2
code/licensing would presumably be a separate license. Also (and repeating
myself), it's important to compare Db2 data sharing with any other options
on the table, on an "all in" basis. "Don't assume."

Frank Swarbrick
2017-09-21 18:32:48 UTC
Yes, a client-only license would be a "non technical" resolution. However it still requires an entire DB2 server setup on the LPAR, even if no "local databases" (other than the communications database and other "system" databases) are ever used.
________________________________

Timothy Sipples
2017-09-26 13:04:46 UTC
Our DB2 experts confirm this, but think that you need a
DB2/CONNECT license to make it working.
Good news: that's not correct. DB2 Connect licensing is not required when
the JDBC client is running on z/OS, when connecting to Db2 for z/OS. I'll
quote from IBM's Db2 Version 12 for z/OS announcement letter:

"Non-chargeable feature of DB2 12 for z/OS:
z/OS Application Connectivity to DB2 for z/OS consists of Universal
Database Driver for z/OS Java™ Edition, a pure Java type 4 JDBC driver. It
is designed to deliver high performance and scalable remote connectivity
for Java-based enterprise applications on z/OS to a remote DB2 for z/OS
database server."

So, just order the "z/OS Application Connectivity to DB2 for z/OS" feature,
a no additional charge part of Db2 for z/OS, and you're all set.

The Type 2 (intra LPAR) JDBC driver is included with base Db2 for z/OS, as
I recall, so that base should be well covered, too.

That said, I can think of a licensing-related caution. If you're running
Db2 Value Unit Edition (VUE), a Solution Edition involving Db2, Db2 in a
zNALC LPAR, or some other special Db2 license, then just be careful that
the clients connecting to that Db2 instance -- including z/OS clients --
are consistent with whatever Db2 license terms you have.

As always, "ask your friendly IBM representative" for the official answers.