Sendind OMVS doc to IBM ecurep
Noach.Holger UHN
2017-06-07 11:38:31 UTC
Hey List
I am having a problem with some application using OMVS / HFS
So I am trying to collect data and to send this as documentation to IBM
Normally I use TAR, but some of the files are very very long, so this does TAR not support , so instead I will use PAX with some special parameters on it.

"Normal" IBM mainframe datasets are sent in tersed format.

Do anybody know , if IBM has a documented way to send HFS files , that is whole directories with subdirectories
Is that described somewhere, please provide link

I can find something on http://www-05.ibm.com/de/support/ecurep/prepare_zos.html

But nothing about unix files

Vi g?r opmaerksom p?, at denne e-mail kan indeholde fortrolig information. Hvis du ved en fejltagelse modtager e-mailen, beder vi dig venligst informere afsender om fejlen ved at bruge svarfunktionen. Samtidig beder vi dig slette e-mailen i dit system uden at videresende eller kopiere den. Selvom e-mailen og ethvert vedhaeftet bilag efter vores overbevisning er fri for virus og andre fejl, som kan p?virke computeren eller it-systemet, hvori den modtages og laeses, ?bnes den p? modtagerens eget ansvar. Vi p?tager os ikke noget ansvar for tab og skade, som er opst?et i forbindelse med at modtage og bruge e-mailen.

Please note that this message may contain confidential information. If you have received this message by mistake, please inform the sender of the mistake by sending a reply, then delete the message from your system without making, distributing or retaining any copies of it. Although we believe that the message and any attachments are free from viruses and other errors that might affect the computer or it-system where it is received and read, the recipient opens the message at his or her own risk. We assume no responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use of this message.

2017-06-07 13:46:47 UTC
My thought would be to DFDSS Dump the HFS file and send that to IBM.

Behalf Of Noach.Holger UHN
Usher, Darrold
2017-06-07 13:48:23 UTC
If you are having troubles with HFS, please convert over to a zFS. They are much more robust.

My thought would be to DFDSS Dump the HFS file and send that to IBM.

On Behalf Of Noach.Holger UHN
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 4:29 AM
Hey List
I am having a problem with some application using OMVS / HFS So I am
trying to collect data and to send this as documentation to IBM
Normally I use TAR, but some of the files are very very long, so this
does TAR not support , so instead I will use PAX with some special parameters on it.
"Normal" IBM mainframe datasets are sent in tersed format.
Do anybody know , if IBM has a documented way to send HFS files , that
is whole directories with subdirectories Is that described somewhere,
please provide link
I can find something on
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www-2D&d=DwICAg&c=
4VfW4Y7UDKzr0jHM1Tk29w&r=qHPaw2L0yLxvGwbmiYgAA36weh33S1tOPU9koM7O4GQ&m
=Dc-QIDsDY7Y1Cdc3U61CW4Qh5JRjS1rDM4wK5JRRlZY&s=pLK676lsKf-tdbOGWsAb6_v
8_F8Dj5gGxwKOSRuEvzA&e= 05.ibm.com/de/support/ecurep/prepare_zos.html
But nothing about unix files

2017-06-07 13:52:54 UTC
Post by Lizette Koehler
My thought would be to DFDSS Dump the HFS file and send that to IBM.
Lizette
​Due to lack on DASD space on a guest account, I often use DFDSS to dump a
zFS linear DS to a sequential DS and then use AMDTERSE to compress that. I
download the tersed DSN to my Linux home system, then deleted all of the
aforementioned DSNs. A decent way, for me, to keep UNIX filesystems backed
up.

Of course, to transfer the _content_ (such as source) to my Linux system, I
use "pax" with the option -ofrom=ibm-1047,to=iso8859-1 to translate my
source. I then download the .PAX file to Linux and use "tar" to unwind the
archive.​
--
Prof: So the American government went to IBM to come up with a data
encryption standard and they came up with ...

Student: EBCDIC!

2017-06-07 16:07:18 UTC
Post by Noach.Holger UHN
I am having a problem with some application using OMVS / HFS
So I am trying to collect data and to send this as documentation to IBM
Normally I use TAR, but some of the files are very very long, so this does TAR not support , so instead I will use PAX with some special parameters on it.
"Normal" IBM mainframe datasets are sent in tersed format.
Do anybody know , if IBM has a documented way to send HFS files , that is whole directories with subdirectories
Is that described somewhere, please provide link
I can find something on http://www-05.ibm.com/de/support/ecurep/prepare_zos.html
But nothing about unix files
I have, sometimes, attached a .pax archive. They've dealt with it.

I've sometimes, contemptuously, AMATERSEd my .pax archive and sent that.
They've dealt with that, too. Sometimes the best way to protest a stupid
rule is to obey it.

I've never needed to send an entire filesystem. For that, Lizette's DFDSS
approach is probably best.