JES2 Migration Function - Pros and Cons
2018-03-04 19:03:58 UTC
Dearest Collective

I have read the SHARE presentations and Worked with the MIGRATION process in
JES2 to migrate output from one JES2 Spool to another.

I am not seeing how this works - or rather, why it is not more simple.

I may be expecting too much. I just want to do - Migrate all data from SPOOL
VOLUME1 to the new Spool VOLUME2 I have just added

It seems to have more requirements than a simple mind can hope to understand

So, anyone that has used this process successfully - can you provide some
insight on this process?

Or any general guidelines as to whether this is a good function or needs some
RFEs to make it ROCK.

Thank you

Lizette
A theory can never be proven, but it can be falsified. Karl Raimund Popper

2018-03-04 19:55:46 UTC
1. Init new volume with ICKDSF, vary online.
2. Add new volume to JES2.
3. Drain old volume.
4. IPL to stop any writing to old volume (STC).
5. When volume goes to drained, vary offline and init as scratch.

2018-03-04 21:41:50 UTC
Perhaps some more details will help.

At z/OS V1.13 a new JES2 function was introduced called Spool Migration. The command is $MSPL

https://share.confex.com/share/118/webprogram/Handout/Session10844/JES2%20SPOOL.pdf

http://ibmsystemsmag.com/mainframe/administrator/migration/spool_migration_part2/

Editor’s note: This is the second of a four-part series on Job Entry Subsystem 2 (JES2) spool migration, which was included in z/OS release 13. This article provides insights into how JES2 manages the migration among multi-access spool (MAS) members and also migrator communications with runtime applications during the copy and catch-up phases.

https://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/features/jes2/

A JES2 spool migration moves an existing JES2 spool volume (an extent or data set) to a new spool volume, or merges an existing volume with another existing spool volume.

So doing it by creating a new volume, adding to SPOOL environment, Draining current volumes and IPL. Easy enough

Just looking to see with a HUGE spool environment if the JES2 Migration function might be easier.