Tools, tips, ideas to produce visuals of your z/OS network topology
Add Reply
Lynette. Pope
2017-08-02 00:18:54 UTC
How do you discover, record, document, maintain, and display z/OS network topology.

We've got LPARs, SNA, and TCPIP, OSAs & HiperSockets, IP/DNS, Static and Dynamic routing, Sysplexes, DVIPA, EE, Coupling Facilities, Network switches, multiple CECs, zOS, zVM, Linux on z, and a Disaster Recovery counterpart for it all.

In managing your network and explaining it to others, what visuals do you use?

What visual perspectives are most useful? By LPAR, TCPIP stack, Sysplex, Network switch, a single application view across the entire network

Do you discover by manual commands, draw on paper or Visio?

Pulling from HCD IOGEN? Pictures provided by your HMC? (anybody remember GDDM?)

Any z/OS functions, features gather the raw data and produce colorful pictures on your PC?

Suggest any vendor tools for this purpose?

After many happy years in zOS and DFSMS, I've wandered into the darkness of an uncharted network cloud .
I'd like to know what's in this network, what it's connected to, and why.

No suggestion, idea, or answer is considered too simple or too obvious.

Yes, I've already RTFMs. Google and I are BFF's.

I'll be at SHARE in Providence. Email me on the list, off the list, or catch me next week

Thanks in Advance!

Lynette Pope
Regions Financial Corporation
Mainframe Technical Support
z/OS Systems Engineer
Riverchase Operations Center - 3F7-4
***@regions.com<mailto:***@regions.com>
(205) 261-5164

Edward Finnell
2017-08-02 02:30:01 UTC
Lionel just went thru a brief exercise with HCD and the graphics choices in
the last week. Several years back we converted to AutoCad. IBM
Environmental will produce a power and BTU layer of you main floor and equipment. We
use that as a layer and add an output from HCD as a layer. Throw in fire
zones and sensors and you get a big picture. Helps to have a flatbed plotter.

For network topology guess we're still using What's up pro. It will go thru
and discover what it's permitted to see.

Brian Westerman
2017-08-02 06:51:21 UTC
I use Visio to map all of the networks I use, (our internal one(s) and the client networks as well). I start with a basic map of Everything I can find and then keep overlaying things on top of that. Eventually you get something that looks very convoluted, but since it's in layers you can pull any of them when you need it.

It doesn't take very long if you do it in steps like I do, and the layers also make changes a lot simpler.

There are some other products that are more drawing oriented, and they make the process even easier, but I've been using Visio too long to change now.

When I get to a specific area (like a NetAPP node or even a DASD controller), I then break out all of the devices. I have some software I wrote that keeps things like DASD and TAPE statistics and names up to date on a daily or weekly basis, but I only use that for client sites where something like that actually matters. Internally we do way too much development to try to keep close tabs on things. We probably create (and delete) 10 to 15 LPARs a week, some for testing and some for clients, on our internal system, things are very short lived. The network changes all the time to fit new projects, but without some solid basis for what is there, you can't really even take full advantage of what you have available.

Brian