IXC344I send cnt: when does it wrap?
Add Reply
Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2018-07-10 10:27:37 UTC
IXC344I displays the number of messages sent per transport class and message length.
The message manual states that this number may wrap.
The System z Parallel Sysplex Best Practices Redbook from 2011 states that this number wraps at 99,999,999.

However I see larger counts. When does this number wrap in z/OS V2.2?

Kees.

For information, services and offers, please visit our web site: http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered number 33014286

Mark A. Brooks
2018-07-10 13:51:23 UTC
The signal counts are 4 byte counters, they'll wrap to zero after they reach 4,294,967,295.

My guess is that the authors of the Redbook saw that the IXC344I msg allowed 10 bytes for the counter and assumed that the output would be delimited with commas. But it's not.

--Mark Brooks

Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2018-07-10 14:14:08 UTC
Thanks Mark!