STC @ IPL - how to wait for OMVS to be initialized with no automation product.
2017-12-04 19:33:26 UTC
This is for another system, not my employer's, which I sometime help to
customize. I need to run a task at IPL time. The simplest way is to use the
COMMNDxx member of PARMLIB to do a START command. But the program I'm
running requires UNIX to be completely initialized. If I had automation,
I'd do the START when the BPXI004I message is issused. But I don't have
automation. I don't see any BPX1* callable UNIX service which says "wait
for UNIX to become ready and then return". I do see an ENFREQ request which
can receive the "UNIX initiation complete" message, but an ENFREQ
REQUEST=LISTEN is a PITA in my opinion. Or maybe I'm just really lazy.

Any ideas?
--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove
it.

Carmen Vitullo
2017-12-04 19:41:16 UTC
/etc/rc ?

Carmen Vitullo

2017-12-04 19:50:31 UTC
Post by Carmen Vitullo
/etc/rc ?
​A good idea. I'll see what I can do with it.

Nims,Alva John , Al
2017-12-04 19:54:47 UTC
Can you add a MPFLSTxx entry for BPXI004I? On the CBTTAPE there are a couple of MPF Exit routines, one of them might be modified to issue a START command (File 597?).

Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer 3
UFIT
University of Florida
(352) 273-1298

2017-12-04 19:58:08 UTC
Post by Nims,Alva John , Al
Can you add a MPFLSTxx entry for BPXI004I? On the CBTTAPE there are a
couple of MPF Exit routines, one of them might be modified to issue a START
command (File 597?).
​I will try that if my modification to /etc/rc doesn't do what I want. I am
trying to keep my changes as few & simple as possible. I can implement the
MPF2REXX on that system like I have at work.​
Post by Nims,Alva John , Al
Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer 3
UFIT
University of Florida
(352) 273-1298

Chambers, David W.
2017-12-04 20:24:51 UTC
MPF exit?

Jackson, Rob
2017-12-04 20:30:24 UTC
Won't it just wait on its own? We've never done anything special, and we've never had any issues with things requiring OMVS. Every time we IPL we get message BPXP022E . . . .

First Tennessee Bank
Mainframe Technical Support
1638 Robert C Jackson Dr
Maryville, TN 37801
O: 865-977-5343
This is for another system, not my employer's, which I sometime help to customize. I need to run a task at IPL time. The simplest way is to use the COMMNDxx member of PARMLIB to do a START command. But the program I'm running requires UNIX to be completely initialized. If I had automation, I'd do the START when the BPXI004I message is issused. But I don't have automation. I don't see any BPX1* callable UNIX service which says "wait for UNIX to become ready and then return". I do see an ENFREQ request which can receive the "UNIX initiation complete" message, but an ENFREQ REQUEST=LISTEN is a PITA in my opinion. Or maybe I'm just really lazy.

Any ideas?

--
I have a theory that it's impossible to prove anything, but I can't prove it.

FIRST TENNESSEE

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

2017-12-04 20:38:15 UTC
Post by Jackson, Rob
Won't it just wait on its own? We've never done anything special, and
we've never had any issues with things requiring OMVS. Every time we IPL
we get message BPXP022E . . . .
​Hum, maybe I'm doing some else wrong. I assumed my problem was that the
START was due to OMVS not being completely up. ​

Rob Scott
2017-12-05 16:20:26 UTC
If ENFREQ listen for event code 46 is out of the question, you could call BPXEKDA for the global OMVS options and wait+retry if you get rc=28

Rob Scott

[...]

This communication and any attachments may contain confidential information of Rocket Software, Inc. All unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Rocket Software immediately and destroy all copies of this communication. Thank you.

2017-12-05 16:59:41 UTC
Late to this thread -- sorry.

I am responsible for an STC that is dubbed immediately and that most customers start early in the IPL. I have never heard any "you fail because OMVS is not up" problems from customers. Perhaps we have just been lucky and/or customers have solved it on their own with automation. I have to think most of our customers use IPL automation.

2017-12-05 17:12:31 UTC
Late to this thread -- sorry.
I am responsible for an STC that is dubbed immediately and that most
customers start early in the IPL. I have never heard any "you fail because
OMVS is not up" problems from customers. Perhaps we have just been lucky
and/or customers have solved it on their own with automation. I have to
think most of our customers use IPL automation.
​No, I made a mistake in my code which _appeared_ to be a UNIX problem
because I didn't zero out some fields.​
Behalf Of Rob Scott