z/OS Secure FTP Question
Veryl Ellis
2017-08-07 13:13:09 UTC
I'm attempting to setup a secure FTP so I get PUT/RSU maintenance via FTP and move away from requesting tape.
From the IBM knowledge center is states to;

Download to your work station the GeoTrust Global CA root certificate (Root 2 - GeoTrust Global CA) from the GeoTrust website at https://www.geotrust.com/resources/root-certificates/index.html<http://www.geotrust.com/resources/root_certificates/index.htm?cm_mc_uid=00249907481814987451668&cm_mc_sid_50200000=1502110527>.

Can someone tell me if I should use;

GeoTrust Global CA

Or

GeoTrust Global CA 2

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

S. Veryl Ellis

Kurt Quackenbush
2017-08-07 14:56:39 UTC
Post by Veryl Ellis
I'm attempting to setup a secure FTP so I get PUT/RSU maintenance
via FTP and move away from requesting tape.
<snip>
Post by Veryl Ellis
Can someone tell me if I should use;
GeoTrust Global CA
Or
GeoTrust Global CA 2
You want GeoTrust Global CA (serial number 02 34 56). I suggest you
refer to the following for more help:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.gim3000/dsetups.htm

I also suggest you use HTTPS instead of FTPS.

Kurt Quackenbush -- IBM, SMP/E Development

Brian Westerman
2017-08-08 04:46:25 UTC
I agree, HTTPS is much easier to both implement and use. IBM supplies the directions on every order in ShopZSeries (off on the right side). I think they also tell you right in each shipment, but I could be wrong.

Brian

Veryl Ellis
2017-08-08 15:46:07 UTC
Another question.

Any idea how much DASD space to allocate for the SMPNTS and/or SMPWKDIR ZFS files?
I seem to keep running out.

Carmen Vitullo
2017-08-08 15:52:02 UTC
my shopz zfs is 10,000 Cyl's
SMPWRKDIR is a tfs for me

MOUNT FILESYSTEM('TMPSMPWK')
MOUNTPOINT('/SYST/usr/local/smpe/workdir')
TYPE(TFS) /* Filesystem type TFS */
MODE(RDWR) /* Mounted for read/write */
PARM('-s 2147380171 -b 1')

2017-08-08 15:54:26 UTC
SMPWKDIR should be at least 3 times the size of the package.
IIRC, there is a minimal increase in the root filesystem.

Any idea how much DASD space to allocate for the SMPNTS and/or SMPWKDIR ZFS files?
I seem to keep running out.

I agree, HTTPS is much easier to both implement and use. IBM supplies the directions on every order in ShopZSeries (off on the right side). I think they also tell you right in each shipment, but I could be wrong.

Brian

::DISCLAIMER::

2017-08-08 16:34:14 UTC
(Interesting: another base64 body I can't quote on the Web interface.)
2017-08-08 17:04:20 UTC
It all depends on how often you order/receive maintenance. I do it weekly, and get by with a 4Gb NTS. If I wait several weeks, and some "large" maintenance comes out(think java replacements) then I've run out. I currently run with a 8Gb NTS. When I order a new Serverpack, I go by what the doc says, but I typically allocate a temporary 30-40Gb NTS that stays around long enough to populate all the datasets, and then it goes away.

Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President
***@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

2017-08-08 19:27:50 UTC
(Interesting: another base64 body I can't quote on the Web interface.)
If you use Firefox you might consider installing the LeetKey extension, which will allow such quoting with relative ease. Just select the encoded text, right-click, choose LeetKey, Text Tranformers, Base64 Decode.
--
Walt