How to move to zFS V5 - painlessly
2018-06-06 19:24:09 UTC
List -

Just thought I would share this information should you want to move from v4 to
v5 zFS files. This is for z/OS V2.1. You would need to check for your level of
z/OS.

There is a parm you can use to set the default format of a zFS filesystem to V5
in IOEFSPRM.

format_aggrversion=4 Sets the default format for new zfs datasets to v4
format_aggrversion=5 Sets the default format for new zFS datasets to v5

I am afraid there is no mass conversion utility, but there is something you
might find useful and that is the

change_aggrversion_on_mount

IOEFSPRM option. With this option enabled zFS v4 datasets would be converted to
v5 then next time they are mounted. This can also be done with the converttov5
configuration option in IOEPRMxx or with CONVERTTOV5 on the mount command
itself. To maximize the conversion I would enable both

change_aggrversion_on_mount and

CONVERTTOV5.

See this manual on z/OS Moutn command: https://ibm.biz/BdrTcb

CONVERTTOV5 | NOCONVERTTOV5
Specifies whether a zFS read/write file system is assigned the converttov5
attribute. If it is assigned the converttov5 attribute and the aggregate is a
version 1.5 aggregate, zFS automatically converts directories from v4 to
extended (v5) as they are accessed. If the converttov5 attribute is assigned at
primary mount time, a version 1.4 aggregate is changed to a version 1.5
aggregate.

If automatic directory conversion for a directory fails, the conversion is
not attempted again until the file system is unmounted and mounted again.

The converttov5 attribute can also be assigned if the MOUNT option is not
specified but the converttov5 specification in the IOEFSPRM file is on when the
file system is mounted or remounted.

The default is NOCONVERTTOV5. However, the converttov5 attribute can also be
assigned if the converttov5 specification in the IOEFSPRM file is on when the
file system is mounted or remounted.

Lizette Koehler
statistics: A precise and logical method for stating a half-truth inaccurately

Scott Barry
2018-06-06 20:34:22 UTC
Seems a tad risky for "convert on next mount" -- not to presume there is a current/BEFORE backup, just in case...

With one client, we are considering a manual migration task-activity - monitoring progress (with version-info listed) using current-state / inventory command: zfsadm aggrinfo -long

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
List -
2018-06-07 12:31:10 UTC
Post by Lizette Koehler
List -
Just thought I would share this information should you want to move from v4 to
v5 zFS files. This is for z/OS V2.1. You would need to check for your level of
z/OS.
There is a parm you can use to set the default format of a zFS filesystem to V5
in IOEFSPRM.
format_aggrversion=4 Sets the default format for new zfs datasets to v4
format_aggrversion=5 Sets the default format for new zFS datasets to v5
​I love it because I first read that as format_AGGRAVATION= .
--
Rap music is performed by those that can not sing so others can not think.

Jantje.
2018-06-13 14:37:26 UTC
Post by Lizette Koehler
List -
I am afraid there is no mass conversion utility,
This is true, but I found that

find . -type d -exec zfsadm convert -path {} \;

comes pretty darn close. The not-faint-hearted may even substitute a / for the . in the above command.

Very best regards,

Jantje.

Jantje.
2018-06-13 15:27:04 UTC
Post by Jantje.
find . -type d -exec zfsadm convert -path {} \;
comes pretty darn close.
O, if anyone has a suggestion on how to get the not-mounted-automount file systems (those are missed by the find command, because they are not mounted, obviously) mounted without having to name them all by hand, I'd love to hear.

Jantje.

Jousma, David
2018-06-13 15:39:59 UTC
Use the converttov5=on option in IOEPRMxx
Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President
***@53.com
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI  49546 MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**
Post by Jantje.
find . -type d -exec zfsadm convert -path {} \;
comes pretty darn close.
O, if anyone has a suggestion on how to get the not-mounted-automount file systems (those are missed by the find command, because they are not mounted, obviously) mounted without having to name them all by hand, I'd love to hear.

Jantje.

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN **CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL**

**DO NOT open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

Blake, Daniel J [CTR]
2018-06-13 15:47:46 UTC
I used the IOEFSUTL to convert in our sand box. Worked well and the largest zFS only took 33 seconds of batch runtime.

Next up is a system covered under SLAs and I don't want it down for an extended period of time while I run the batch jobs for 200+ aggregates. Did you see an extended IPL time using the converttov5 in IOEPRMxx process?

TIA,

;-D an

Jousma, David
2018-06-13 15:56:39 UTC
No. I converted all of our filesystems (except SMPE controlled filesystems) via the command on all of our systems. Was very quick, chose specific path hierarchies to do at a time. For all my z/OS supplied ZFS filesystems, I converted my "maintenance" environment, and then let my cloning process move it out at maintenance time since all of those are mounted read only, and didn’t want to chance making them RDWR to do that live.

zfsadm convert -path /your/path/names

The IOEPRMxx entry is just a catchall for me, in case one of my team mates allocates or has older filesystems laying around that are not normally mounted anyway.

Gibney, Dave
2018-06-13 18:14:34 UTC
IS this zFS level thing a z/OS 2.2 and above issue? Or should I have noticed when moving to z/OS 2.1 from 1.13
Michael Babcock
2018-06-13 18:19:06 UTC
Don’t forget to check the format_aggrversion if you have it coded in
IOEPRMxx. If not coded, the default on z/OS 2.3 is 5 but the default for
2.2 is 4.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 10:56 AM Jousma, David <
Post by Jousma, David
No. I converted all of our filesystems (except SMPE controlled
filesystems) via the command on all of our systems. Was very quick, chose
specific path hierarchies to do at a time. For all my z/OS supplied ZFS
filesystems, I converted my "maintenance" environment, and then let my
cloning process move it out at maintenance time since all of those are
mounted read only, and didn’t want to chance making them RDWR to do that
live.
zfsadm convert -path /your/path/names
The IOEPRMxx entry is just a catchall for me, in case one of my team mates
allocates or has older filesystems laying around that are not normally
mounted anyway.
Dave Jousma
Manager Mainframe Engineering, Assistant Vice President
1830 East Paris, Grand Rapids, MI 49546
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1830+East+Paris,+Grand+Rapids,+MI%C2%A0+49546&entry=gmail&source=g>
MD RSCB2H
p 616.653.8429
f 616.653.2717
Jousma, David
2018-06-13 15:46:11 UTC
Missed the comment about being automounted. For that I added the parm to my automount policy

name *
type zfs
filesystem OMVSU.<uc_name>.HOME.ZFS
mode rdwr