Removing JES2 PRT and RMT definitions
Art Gutowski
2017-05-17 18:02:59 UTC
Since the JES2-L list seems to be defunct, and I have not found a conclusive answer in the archives nor the books, I'd like to know if a single-member warm-start is sufficient to remove PRT(xxx) and RMT(xxx) definitions from a MAS, or whether an all-member warm-start is required. The complex in question is a 3-system MAS. I don't have, at present, a representative test environment to play in.

The requirements for adding and modifying these elements are well-documented, requirements for delete are not explicit, IMO. If I have overlooked a passage, please correct my misunderstanding. I did find a couple of short threads where this question was asked, and I see "seems to" and "assume". but nothing that says "I tried it and it works". Does the venerable Mr. Wasik monitor this list?

Thanks,
Art Gutowski
General Motors, LLC

Scott Vetter

2017-05-19 05:14:09 UTC
Since the JES2-L list seems to be defunct, and I have not found a conclusive answer in the archives nor the books, ...
Have you been able to search the archives of the JES2-L list? Last time I tried I did not succeed.

Edward Finnell
2017-05-19 07:32:26 UTC
Only one active I can find is bit.listserv.jes2-l on Google but it seems
infested with goobers.

2017-05-19 15:17:47 UTC
Here is a best guess.

If the printer was added with $ADD then a hot start may work

Otherwise, remove the PRINTER definitions from the INIT Deck and then try a HOT Start. IF that does not work, then you will need an IPL (WARM) Start on that LPAR.

Depending on your level of z/OS and JES2 - this should work.

The worst case I can think of is you have 3 LPARs in the PLEX, and you will need to shut down all 3 and IPL one after the PRINTER definition is removed in JES.

If you have Q&A with IBM, I would open a Usage question for a more accurate answer.

Behalf Of Art Gutowski
Art Gutowski
2017-05-21 03:05:13 UTC
Post by Scott Vetter
What about running a second JES2 system on where a production JES2 is already running?  It can totally separate from the JES2 production system.
And on that test JES2 system you can try removing the PRT and RMT definitian and see what happens.
That gives me a single-member MAS, which I have in a sandbox, but it won't help me prove single-member vs all-member warm-start. I will have a two-way MAS, but not in time to test this out. I am asking for an all-member warm-start "just in case", but it would make life easier if I knew whether I really needed it. I'm certain I've made similar changes before, but the specifics escape my recollection. I was hoping for, "Artie, go to page 'x' in the 'FM' and Read The...", or "BTDTGTTS, and I '_fill in the blank_' is what was required to complete the change."

When all is said and done, I will submit an RCF...

Thanks,
Art Gutowski
General Motors, LLC

Art Gutowski
2017-05-21 03:12:49 UTC
Post by Lizette Koehler
Here is a best guess.
If the printer was added with $ADD then a hot start may work
Otherwise, remove the PRINTER definitions from the INIT Deck and then try a HOT Start. IF that does not work, then you will need an IPL (WARM) Start on that LPAR.
Depending on your level of z/OS and JES2 - this should work.
The worst case I can think of is you have 3 LPARs in the PLEX, and you will need to shut down all 3 and IPL one after the PRINTER definition is removed in JES.
If you have Q&A with IBM, I would open a Usage question for a more accurate answer.
Lizette,

Thank you, a Usage Q&A is certainly in order. I thought I'd tap the experience of the collective first...

I'm prepared for an all-member warm-start "just in case", but it would be nice to know ahead of time whether that is truly necessary. These have been in our JES2 parms since long before we had anything to do with these systems, and we had to COLD start when we brought these systems in, so no to $ADD, but I don't know if that diminishes the possibility of a hot-start or single-member warm start being sufficient. Maybe it's just me, but the doc is far from clear on removal.

When all is said and done, an RCF is also certainly in order.

Thanks,
Art Gutowski
General Motors, LLC

Art Gutowski
2017-05-21 03:16:24 UTC
Post by Peter Hunkeler
Since the JES2-L list seems to be defunct, and I have not found a conclusive answer in the archives nor the books, ...
Have you been able to search the archives of the JES2-L list? Last time I tried I did not succeed.
Bupkus. It would seem everything on this listserv has been dismantled, or at least I no longer have access to view even the "list of lists".

Art Gutowski
General Motors, LLC

2017-05-21 16:26:03 UTC
I was hoping that Tom W. or someone else from JES2 would chime in. I don't recall having removed JES2 devices in a MAS, but I'll go out on a limb with the observation that all-systems warm start is hardly ever required for anything these days. Since the advent of dynamic modification in the 90s, most changes can be implemented by command alone, or at worst by command followed by single-system restart. That's not transparency, but it's no worse than rolling IPL for any other purpose. I suggest just removing the definitions and see what happens.

What about all those obsolete device definitions we never removed? Maybe if ever get around to emptying those obsolete ashtrays... ;-)