XCF large message traffic bursts (BMC SQL Performance)
Add Reply
Derrick Haugan
2017-12-04 14:32:28 UTC
Just an inquiry, to see if others have had issues with this products use/abuse of XCF. BMC product is sending large bursts of XCF traffic between systems, and the messages are the maximum size (62464). Over the past few months, it has sent bursts like these (over 8K large messages in 1 minute interval), and filled up XCF buffers on the sending system (transport class we use for large message traffic). We are going to isolate the product's XCF group (DCPLEX$) into its own transport class, so it cant block other users of the our general-purpose large message transport class.

Product does reporting, and sends its results back to a focal point (sessions used by DBAs etc) for analysis. Spoke with the vendor, they stated the options are - a) turn off the XCF mechanism in the product or b) enable it for XCF communication, but there is no control over what it may send (unlimited). These seem like poor choice of options for tuning it. If XCF is disabled, DBAs would not be able to assemble reports for DB2 using data sharing for multi-system operation.

Binyamin Dissen
2017-12-04 18:51:00 UTC
On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 08:33:44 -0600 Derrick Haugan <***@METLIFE.COM> wrote:

[...]

I would ask if the XCF bursts are connected with the end-user/DBA requests for
data. Perhaps a screen that is refreshed frequently?

--
Binyamin Dissen <***@dissensoftware.com>
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Tom Conley
2017-12-04 18:58:43 UTC
Post by Binyamin Dissen
[...]

I had the same problem with CA-ESP and GRS colliding. I created a
separate transport class for GRS and the problem was solved. Creating a
separate transport class is the only way to deal with this, currently.
Mark Brooks keeps talking about fixing transport classes, but nothing yet.

Regards,
Tom Conley

Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2017-12-05 08:17:42 UTC
Derrick,

I checked in our installation and to my surprise we don't see any XCF traffic during the day. According to DISPLAY XCF, some 25 messages have been exchanged. From CMF output, I can see that they were exchanged during startup of the DC's.

My DB2 colleagues do run reports on all members of a data sharing group, but apparently in our configuration without any XCF traffic. What could be the difference between these installations?

Regards,
Kees.
[...]
For information, services and offers, please visit our web site: http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered number 33014286

Derrick Haugan
2017-12-05 15:18:09 UTC
As I understand it, in a "DOMPLEX" (BMC lingo for the base product configuration), you can choose to use XCF, or you can turn it off for use with the SQL product's query traffic. maybe its turned off at your shop? Our database team configures the product at our shop, so I'm not that familiar with it, other than evaluating measurements that tell me its choking all our transport class buffers from time to time.

I noticed the product(s) use more than one XCF group, I also see "DCPLEX" in use, whereas the actual data transfers we are concerned about use the group "DCPLEX$", I believe this is configurable (the grp name). We are setting up a mtg with BMC (and our database team) to discuss this issue in detail. Thanks for the feedback.

-Derrick

Vernooij, Kees - KLM , ITOPT1
2017-12-05 15:43:31 UTC
My DB2 colleagues are sure they configured XCF and I see 3 groups: DCPLEX, DCPLEX$ and ***@. Could you share the corresponding settings?

I am interested in the differences between our installations and, of course, the 'magic command' that might unexpectedly trigger the XCF bursts at our site.

Kees.

Derrick Haugan
2017-12-05 18:46:59 UTC
A peek inside the STCs on the sysplex that's experienced issues, shows these XCF groups in use:

BMCLGC0277I Found registration record for DBC GROUP DCPLEX
REGDSN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, XCF GROUP: LGCGRP01, DBC GROUP: DCPLEX
also -
BMC24820 DC01 DOMPLEX member xxxxxxxxxxxxx joined XCF group DCPLEX$ successfully

My understanding from BMC, is that 'reporting' can generate the XCF activity, by shipping data around the sysplex for focal point reporting. We intend to isolate the product's traffic into its own set of transport classes.

2017-12-05 19:24:42 UTC
BMC never met a resource that they didn't gobble up and demand more of, like Oliver's porridge. Just say no.