Friday - off topic - human factors and TN3270
Add Reply
Dyck, Lionel B. , RavenTek
2018-07-06 14:45:32 UTC
For years I was used to the default TN3270 client having a black background and colors that seemed to glow at times. Then I found that I could adjust the colors and found that a grey (or is it gray) background worked better for my viewing experience and I adjusted the other colors accordingly and made them more muted where possible. Now I'm using Reflections and am using the Ice theme with some slight modifications and it works great. When I'm using Vista TN3270 I have adjusted all the colors for a grey background as well.

With Reflections there are many other color themes and I'm sure other TN3270 products also support them in varying ways of completeness.

Has anyone does any human factor studies on optimizing screen colors?

Thoughts/comments for a Friday

Lionel B. Dyck (Contractor) <sdg><
Mainframe Systems Programmer - RavenTek Solution Partners

David Purdy

2018-07-06 16:31:11 UTC
Post by David Purdy
When I worked at Tektronix in the '80s, their display folks found a blue backgound with yellow letters provided good contrast with the least eyestrain. I've used that combination ever since. YMMV with newer monitors and drivers.
That sounds perilously close to "vibration":
https://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/712.fall02/papers/p761-thompson.pdf

Examples from that page:
https://cms-assets.tutsplus.com/uploads/users/30/posts/25621/image/vomit.svg

2018-07-06 16:35:57 UTC
(Oops! I pasted the wrong link)
Post by Paul Gilmartin
Post by David Purdy
When I worked at Tektronix in the '80s, their display folks found a blue backgound with yellow letters provided good contrast with the least eyestrain. I've used that combination ever since. YMMV with newer monitors and drivers.
https://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/712.fall02/papers/p761-thompson.pdf
Should have been:
https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/why-you-should-avoid-vibrating-color-combinations--cms-25621

Tom Marchant
2018-07-06 18:00:53 UTC
For years I was used to the default TN3270 client having a black background . . .
I use a white background with colors that are more or less the way they are
described. The exceptions are white, which I have set to be black, and yellow,
which I have set to a shade of brown. I find this to be much more pleasing to
my eyes. It doesn't matter so much at 24 x 80, but at 88 x 142, it makes a
big difference.
--
Tom Marchant

2018-07-06 18:27:34 UTC
Post by Tom Marchant
I use a white background with colors that are more or less the way they are
described. The exceptions are white, which I have set to be black, and yellow,
which I have set to a shade of brown. I find this to be much more pleasing to
my eyes. It doesn't matter so much at 24 x 80, but at 88 x 142, it makes a
big difference.

Been working with just about these colors for the last 20+ years. I find it much more relaxing, especially when swapping between office suite windows and 3270 windows.

2018-07-07 15:18:58 UTC
"Bud and Elliot Grundt develop the first Mainframe Mouse."
Rats! That is a good picture of that "painframe" rat! ;-)

Hmmmmmmm, is the numbr 102682822 shown, the actual number of those Mainframe Mouse manufactured?

Will it hurts when that rat driver drives over those power cables? ;-)

Thanks Kenneth for bringing a great smile! ;-)

Please keep up posting on IBM-MAIN! ;-)

zMan
2018-07-07 22:36:38 UTC
404, alas...

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 11:18 AM, Elardus Engelbrecht <
"Bud and Elliot Grundt develop the first Mainframe Mouse."
http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/cccess/physical-object/2009/
04/102682822.01.01.lg.jpg
Rats! That is a good picture of that "painframe" rat! ;-)
Hmmmmmmm, is the numbr 102682822 shown, the actual number of those
Mainframe Mouse manufactured?
Will it hurts when that rat driver drives over those power cables? ;-)
Thanks Kenneth for bringing a great smile! ;-)
Please keep up posting on IBM-MAIN! ;-)
zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"

Don Poitras
2018-07-07 22:59:21 UTC
Obvious typo. Which leads me to think it was typed in. A true mainframer eschewing the
new-fangled mouse cut and paste. :)

Post by zMan
404, alas...
On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 11:18 AM, Elardus Engelbrecht <
"Bud and Elliot Grundt develop the first Mainframe Mouse."
http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/cccess/physical-object/2009/
04/102682822.01.01.lg.jpg
Rats! That is a good picture of that "painframe" rat! ;-)
Hmmmmmmm, is the numbr 102682822 shown, the actual number of those
Mainframe Mouse manufactured?
Will it hurts when that rat driver drives over those power cables? ;-)
Thanks Kenneth for bringing a great smile! ;-)
Please keep up posting on IBM-MAIN! ;-)
zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"
--
Don Poitras - SAS Development - SAS Institute Inc. - SAS Campus Drive
***@sas.com (919) 531-5637 Cary, NC 27513

2018-07-08 00:31:01 UTC
1993 or so, it would appear from this page. (Mind the wrap.)

https://books.google.com/books?id=O3xyvDOfru0C&pg=PA132

Obvious typo. Which leads me to think it was typed in. A true mainframer
eschewing the
new-fangled mouse cut and paste. :)

http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/access/physical-object/2009/04/
102682822.01.01.lg.jpg

2018-07-08 00:34:05 UTC
Aha! Found the original.

https://books.google.com/books?id=vfztUIpZm7UC&pg=PA2

Porowski, Kenneth
2018-07-09 14:59:06 UTC
I actually have one, should have bought 2 as mine is used and seriously grungy.

2018-07-08 14:18:55 UTC
Post by zMan
404, alas...
"Bud and Elliot Grundt develop the first Mainframe Mouse."
http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/cccess/physical-object/2009/
04/102682822.01.01.lg.jpg
There's a typo in your Elardus's citation and yours. Original was:
http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/access/physical-object/2009/04/102682822.01.01.lg.jpg

David Cole
2018-07-08 20:06:45 UTC
My 2-cents worth...

I prefer darker background colors and, therefore, lighter text
colors. I find that to me far easier on my eyes than white backgrounds.

The original hardware monitors from IBM had a blue that was too dark.
It blended in with the black background so much that I could hardly
see it. So one thing I always do is change the workstation's software
to use a lighter blue.

I find it extremely useful to run multiple TSO sessions
simultaneously, so I routinely run with multiple workstation windows
open. To help keep things straight, I find it useful to define
different color schemes for each workstation window.

Dave Cole
ColeSoft Marketing
414 Third Street, NE
Charlottesville, VA 22902