Java on z/OS?
2017-06-06 00:44:07 UTC
Remember @Steve Beaver's question "where do I find a C++ sample for z/OS?"
Well, this is my variant of that question.

If I wanted to write "Hello, World" in Java such that it would run in batch
on z/OS, where would I start? Where is the "Programmers' Guide" for Java?

I know OO concepts, I'm an experienced C++ programmer, and I took a Java
class once upon a time. I can find Java language and class references on the
Web. I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for how to get from
System.out.println("Hello World"); to //JAVAPGM EXEC PGM=HELLOW ?

2017-06-06 00:53:01 UTC
I know OO concepts, I'm an experienced C++ programmer, and I took a Java
class once upon a time. I can find Java language and class references on the
Web. I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for how to get from
System.out.println("Hello World"); to //JAVAPGM EXEC PGM=HELLOW ?
But do you want to avoid:
//JAVAPGM EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH,PARM='PGM java -jar HELLOW.jar'
//STDENV DD *
PATH=/usr/lpp/java/current/bin:<whatever>?

2017-06-06 01:57:21 UTC
Well, this is my variant of that question.
If I wanted to write "Hello, World" in Java such that it would run in batch
on z/OS, where would I start? Where is the "Programmers' Guide" for Java?
I know OO concepts, I'm an experienced C++ programmer, and I took a Java
class once upon a time. I can find Java language and class references on the
Web. I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for how to get from
System.out.println("Hello World"); to //JAVAPGM EXEC PGM=HELLOW ?
Charles
​The magic word in this case is JZOS. This is the Java batch launcher for
z/OS, which come bundled with the Java JDK.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSYKE2_8.0.0/com.ibm.java.zsecurity.80.doc/zsecurity-component/jzos.html

The above page has links to the information you need.

As an aside, JZOS was originally written by Dovetailed Technologies (the
authors of the excellent Co:Z package). It was so much better than anything
IBM had that IBM now distributes it with the JDK. I don't know if IBM
bought it or has an exclusive license to distribute.

If you're going to do any UNIX work in batch, go here:
http://dovetail.com/products/cozbatch.html and get this package. It does
not require _any_ special authorities so you could even install it using
your TSO high level qualifier for the data sets and your UNIX ${HOME} for
the UNIX files. Once you've tried this, you'll sneer at IBM's pathetic
BPXBATCH. Oh, and the run-time license is a very affordable -- FREE!!!! You
don't even have to register your email or _anything_. Not even a thank you
note.​
--
Windows. A funny name for a operating system that doesn't let you see
anything.

Ken Smith
2017-06-08 14:24:03 UTC
JZOS is great but here's a IVP job using OSHELL I run to exercise the
HelloWorld program supplied in the java bin directory.
To write your own no doubt there's a source example out there that you can
compile (javac) and run.

//TSO EXEC PGM=IKJEFT1B,DYNAMNBR=50,REGION=0M
//SYSPROC DD DISP=SHR,DSN=SYS1.SBPXEXEC
//STDENV DD *
JAVADIR=/usr/lpp/java/J7.0
//SYSTSIN DD *
oshell +
PATH=$JAVADIR/bin:$PATH && +
echo path=$PATH && +
java -version
oshell +
PATH=$JAVADIR/bin:$PATH && +
java -classpath $JAVADIR HelloWorld
//SYSTSPRT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN DD DUMMY
//
Output:

path=/usr/lpp/java/J7.0/bin:/bin:/usr/lpp/java/J5.0_64/bin:.

java version "1.7.0"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pmz3170sr9fp50-20160720_02(SR9fp50))

IBM J9 VM (build 2.6, JRE 1.7.0 z/OS s390-31 20160630_309948 (JIT enabled,
AOT enabled)
J9VM - R26_Java726_SR9_20160630_1817_B309948

JIT - tr.r11_20160630_120374

GC - R26_Java726_SR9_20160630_1817_B309948

J9CL - 20160630_309948)

JCL - 20160719_01 based on Oracle jdk7u111-b13

Hello World
Post by Charles Mills
z/OS?"
2017-06-08 14:53:01 UTC
Thanks!

Really appreciate all the earlier advice (which could certainly come in handy down the road) but frankly this is more what I was looking for today.

Don Poitras
2017-06-08 15:29:45 UTC
I think Paul's use of BPXBATCH is clearer. Moving the logic to a
separate DD I think makes it even better. e.g.

//BPXBAT EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH,PARMDD=PARMINDD
//STDIN DD DUMMY
//STDOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//STDERR DD SYSOUT=*
//PARMINDD DD *
sh echo '\nPATH=';
echo $PATH;
export PATH=$PATH:/u/sasdtp/sasuser;
echo '\nPATH=';
echo $PATH;
echo '\nCLASSPATH=';
echo $CLASSPATH;
echo '\nJAVA_HOME=';
echo $JAVA_HOME;
java -version;
java hello
/*
//
Sent: Thursday, June 8, 2017 7:25 AM
[...]
Post by Charles Mills
z/OS?"
Post by Charles Mills
[...]
Don Poitras - SAS Development - SAS Institute Inc. - SAS Campus Drive
***@sas.com (919) 531-5637 Cary, NC 27513

Ken Smith
2017-06-08 21:01:05 UTC
Agree, I'd forgotten BPXBATCH STDOUT and ERR can now can be sent to
SYSOUT. Wasn't so many years ago when I used OSHELL.

Ken
Post by Charles Mills
Thanks!
Really appreciate all the earlier advice (which could certainly come in
handy down the road) but frankly this is more what I was looking for today.
Sent: Thursday, June 8, 2017 7:25 AM
Post by Charles Mills
JIT - tr.r11_20160630_120374
GC - R26_Java726_SR9_20160630_1817_B309948
J9CL - 20160630_309948)
JCL - 20160719_01 based on Oracle jdk7u111-b13
Hello World
On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 9:57 PM, John McKown <
Post by Charles Mills
z/OS?"
Frank Swarbrick
2017-06-09 18:01:26 UTC
What was the first release that allowed BPXBATCH to (finally) write to SYSOUT? I wasn't aware of it, but indeed it does now work (z/OS 2.2)!

Frank

________________________________

Mark Zelden
2017-06-09 22:15:34 UTC
Post by Frank Swarbrick
What was the first release that allowed BPXBATCH to (finally) write to SYSOUT? I wasn't
aware of it, but indeed it does now work (z/OS 2.2)!
Frank
z/OS 1.8 or z/OS 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 with the fix for APAR OA11699 allowed MVS
files (including SYSOUT) to be used for STDOUT / STDERR / STDPARM.

Regards,

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified
mailto:***@mzelden.com
Systems Programming expert at http://search390.techtarget.com/ateExperts/

Frank Swarbrick
2017-06-13 18:10:06 UTC
Really? I swear I tried this under z/OS 1.13 and it did not work. Maybe I just assumed it, because all of the examples of using BPXBATCH don't write directly to SYSOUT.

Frank

________________________________

2017-06-11 00:19:54 UTC
Post by Mark Zelden
Post by Frank Swarbrick
What was the first release that allowed BPXBATCH to (finally) write to SYSOUT? I wasn't
aware of it, but indeed it does now work (z/OS 2.2)!
z/OS 1.8 or z/OS 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 with the fix for APAR OA11699 allowed MVS
files (including SYSOUT) to be used for STDOUT / STDERR / STDPARM.
ITYM for STDPARM SYSIN, not SYSOUT.

And BPXBATCH STDIN is still required to be a UNIX file. AOPBATCH has no
such restriction. Its understandable that BPXBATCH is not upgraded. IBM
may have a business case for not making a base facility (BPXBATCH) compete
with a separately-priced (I think) facility (AOPBATCH).

... BPXBATCH STDIN is still required to be a UNIX file. BPXWUNIX has no
such restriction. (use the DD: form rather than the STEM. form.) It's
wonderful! I've allocated stdin to a pipe and stdout and stderr to SYSOUT.
Then with a long-running program feeding stdin I can "BOT &02" (tail)
either stdout or stderr (alas, not both) with SDSF. Well done, BPXWUNIX!
Less well SDSF.

Kirk Wolf
2017-06-11 13:06:56 UTC
FYI, here's a table that compares features of BPXBATCH, BPXBATSL, AOPBATCH
(and COZBATCH).

https://dovetail.com/products/cozbatch.html

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 7:20 PM, Paul Gilmartin <
Mark Zelden
2017-06-11 00:42:16 UTC
Post by Mark Zelden
Post by Frank Swarbrick
What was the first release that allowed BPXBATCH to (finally) write to SYSOUT? I wasn't
aware of it, but indeed it does now work (z/OS 2.2)!
z/OS 1.8 or z/OS 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 with the fix for APAR OA11699 allowed MVS
files (including SYSOUT) to be used for STDOUT / STDERR / STDPARM.
ITYM for STDPARM SYSIN, not SYSOUT.
No, what I meant was you can direct those DDs to a standard MVS file as
opposed to only a unix file - including if your file was a SYSOUT file. No,
you can't use DD SYSOUT=* for STDPARM SYSIN - or maybe you could, but
I don't think you would get the intended result. :-)

2017-06-11 20:03:17 UTC
Post by Kirk Wolf
FYI, here's a table that compares features of BPXBATCH, BPXBATSL, AOPBATCH
(and COZBATCH).
https://dovetail.com/products/cozbatch.html
Hmmm ... For BPXBATCH:
"PARM= args support quoting"

o For "PARM='SH ''string''', I see no restrictions on the string that can be
passed to sh. The programmer must simply play games with doubling
apostrophes and ampersands. Backslash is passed to sh intact.

o For "PARM='PGM tokens'", BPXBATCH breaks the PARM into tokens at
blanks but does not treat TAB (0x05) or semicolon as a token separator.
A programmer can sometimes exploit this behavior. e.g.:
EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH PARM='/bin/sh -c /bin/echo<TAB>Hello.;/bin/date'

"The size of the entire PARM field is limited to 100 characters."
That's only a JCL restriction.

o From Rexx I have successfully passed BPXBATCH a PARM
65535 characters long.

o PARMDD allows PARM of 32760 bytes. I haven't tried this with BPXBATCH.