:IEAVAPE return code doc wrong?
Peter Relson
2017-10-05 11:41:53 UTC
"Open a doc PMR"? Really?

By all means make sure that we get the doc updated, but that does not
require opening a PMR. I don't see our taking a doc APAR.
I'll get the ID folks to fix...

FWIW, it appears that this isn't the only one that is incorrect in the
same way (IEA_XFER_TO_SELF, IEA_XFER_FAILED).

In the z/OS 1.13 auth assembler services reference, IEA_PE_NOT_HOME is
wrong in 2 places and right in 16. No rationale, just saying...

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology

John Eells
2017-10-05 12:19:09 UTC
Post by Peter Relson
"Open a doc PMR"? Really?
By all means make sure that we get the doc updated, but that does not
require opening a PMR. I don't see our taking a doc APAR.
I'll get the ID folks to fix...
<snip>

I have said this here before, but I guess it bears repeating:

When you post about z/OS documentation issues here, you can simply add
***@us.ibm.com to the copy list. That will get it to the right
people without the mutual overheads associated with opening and
following up on PMRs.

I am not trying to discourage people from opening PMRs for urgent issues
related to documentation/code disagreement, of course, but for minor-ish
things sending a note to this address is simply a more streamlined
process on both sides, with fewer people involved.

To make it perhaps easier to remember, I'll add that "mvhrcfs" stands
for "Mid-Hudson Valley Reader Comment Forms." Poughkeepsie is located
in the Mid-Hudson Valley in New York State.
--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie

Steve Smith
2017-10-05 13:39:13 UTC
Well then, I guess I should mention that the manual's description of
the parmlist for IEA4APE2 is missing one (auth-level). That caused a
bunch of "fun". IEAASM has it right, but I think I inferred it from
IEAVAPE2, which seems to be correct.

sas

2017-10-05 18:37:54 UTC
Post by John Eells
To make it perhaps easier to remember, I'll add that "mvhrcfs" stands
for "Mid-Hudson Valley Reader Comment Forms." Poughkeepsie is located
in the Mid-Hudson Valley in New York State.

ROTFLOL. I always wondered about that rather difficult to remember name, but never tried to imagine what it stands for. Thanks for that amusement.

Farley, Peter x23353
2017-10-05 19:00:22 UTC
And slightly mis-spelled, actual address is MHV... not MVH...:

***@us.ibm.com

HTH

John Eells
2017-10-06 11:24:02 UTC
<snip>

Everyone's an editor (grin).

At least I got the mailto: link right, even if I typoed it in the
following text!

Thanks.
--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie

2017-10-05 15:29:56 UTC
I took that to mean "submit an RFC" and that is what I did.

Let me add that I have found the Mid-Hudson doc folks to be very diligent.
When I have submitted an RFC they have worked with me to make sure they got
it right, not just differently wrong. This one is a pretty simple error, but
in some cases the doc is "misleading" and the correction more subtle, and
they worked to get it right.

Diligent, not fast. I reported a PoOp problem a week ago and what I have so
far is an automated response "your concerns are important to us" but I am
confident they will get on it fairly shortly.

2017-10-05 18:56:16 UTC
Diligent, not fast. I reported a PoOp problem a week ago and what I have so
far is an automated response "your concerns are important to us" but I am
confident they will get on it fairly shortly.
The PoOp might not be typical in how these get handled. Content changes
are typically done with technical input from engineering in concert with
the Architectural Review board, and the final format and content
controlled by one (technical) person based on the approved results of
the board.

Regards,
Greg