Cloning Z/OS
Add Reply
Mohamed Gomaa
2017-10-07 12:48:59 UTC
Hi,
I am looking for procedures for Z/OS cloning, I am now installing v 2.2, and we have two different Sysplex systems one for Test system with 3 Asys LPAR s and 2 Ksys for system automation and GDPS, and the same for Prod system.
I am thinking about using JCL to copy volumes, but I am going to use for each system different Volser’s. I want to keep the consistency of each system.

Mohamed Juma

Sent from my iPhone
Thanks all, information, I will try
Tommy,
This is not a science, but an art. So it takes time and study and
adjustments to get WLM where you want it.
The first phase is understanding how WLM works. This written up in many
manuals. It is not quick to learn. If you have a sandbox where you can
work things out, that would be best.
This has to do with system capacity. How much work can the system run?
How much work do you want the system to run.
If you do not have sufficient resources, MIPs, Storage, Memory, then WLM
will not run more work than it has resources available.
Yes you can tell WLM to try and run more work than it has resources for,
but then your processes run longer and are waiting longer for resources.
What problem are you trying to solve? If WLM has jobs in awaiting main
status (this is a JES2 message in SDSF), then the system does not have
sufficient MIPS, MEMORY, STORAGE to run the tasks.
You may want to start, if you have not done so, reviewing this Redbook
System Programmer's Guide to: Workload Manager
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246472.html?Open
It can help with understanding this process.
The section on setting goals could be helpful
Manage your service definition.
Use a service class.
Select the type of goals to use.
Use Resource Groups.
2017-10-07 15:03:27 UTC
Mohamed,

For future reference, please delete any part of a posting not associated with your question.

I have removed them from this response

Second, you can search on www.ibm.com for CREATE SYSRES

https://www.ibm.com/Search/?q=create+sysres&lnk=mhsrch&v=18&en=utf&lang=en&cc=us#q=create%20sysres&site=ibmcom

And come up with a lot of suggestions on how to do this.

It depends on your shops standards. How you roll out Sysres updates. And what tools you have available.

On Mark Zelden's website http://www.mzelden.com/mvsutil.html

ONEPAK21/TWOPAK21 jobs. These are updates to the ONEPAKZD/TWOPAKZD jobs and can be used to create a "rescue" system from a z/OS 2.1 driving system.

That might be a good starting point

You may have access to other utilities like DFDSS, FDR Dump/Restore, and several other tools.

Each shop has a way to build Sysres sets. No one set standard. Even IBM has recommendations of what might work

Behalf Of Mohamed Gomaa
Mohamed Gomaa
2017-10-07 16:18:31 UTC
Thanks Lizette, for your point.

Mohamed

Sent from my iPhone
John Eells
2017-10-09 11:12:47 UTC
Post by Mohamed Gomaa
Hi,
I am looking for procedures for Z/OS cloning, I am now installing v 2.2, and we have two different Sysplex systems one for Test system with 3 Asys LPAR s and 2 Ksys for system automation and GDPS, and the same for Prod system.
I am thinking about using JCL to copy volumes, but I am going to use for each system different Volser’s. I want to keep the consistency of each system.
You might want to take a look at this exact topic in z/OS Planning for
Installation and the accompanying IEACLN* samples in SYS1.SAMPLIB, and
at z/OSMF Software Management.

If you use Software Management, which will generate the jobs for you,
note that you will have to write the IPL text to the new system
residence volume afterward. (At some future point I would like us to
have a workflow to do that, but today we do not.)
--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie