SYSLOGD Monitoring
Add Reply
Adams, Anne , DTI
2018-06-12 17:45:38 UTC
Greetings all,

Has anyone attempted to capture messages written to the syslog daemon (ie. syslog.log)? We have a network monitoring tool that can give us the status and availability of servers on our network. I'd like the ability to write to the system console but there doesn't appear to be a port associated with it (and this product wants to write to a syslog service associated with a port) so I'm writing to the SyslogD Server instead. When I check syslog.log I will see the test messages but none of my monitoring software can "see" those messages. Am I missing something or is this simply something that cannot be done? Thanks.

Anne R Adams, CISSP
DTI, Systems Engineering
Lead Mainframe Services Analyst
302.739.9500

We support the mainframe, it just works.

This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains information that may be Privileged, confidential or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

Lucas Rosalen
2018-06-12 17:48:46 UTC
Hi Anne,

It's been a long time I played with that, but have you tried to configure
it to write messages to (if I recall it correclty) /dev/console?

*Lucas Rosalen*
***@gmail.com / ***@ibm.com
http://br.linkedin.com/in/lrosalen
Adams, Anne , DTI

2018-06-12 17:54:28 UTC
Post by Adams, Anne , DTI
Greetings all,
Has anyone attempted to capture messages written to the syslog daemon (ie.
syslog.log)? We have a network monitoring tool that can give us the status
and availability of servers on our network. I'd like the ability to write
to the system console but there doesn't appear to be a port associated with
it (and this product wants to write to a syslog service associated with a
port) so I'm writing to the SyslogD Server instead. When I check syslog.log
I will see the test messages but none of my monitoring software can "see"
those messages. Am I missing something or is this simply something that
cannot be done? Thanks.
​Set up the configuration to write to the file: /dev/console . This will
write the message to the z/OS SYSLOG or OPERLOG​

kern.* /dev/console

would write all "kernal" messages to the SYSLOG.

Doing the UNIX command: echo 'hello' >/dev/console caused the following to
be written to SYSLOG:

N 4000000 LIH1 18163 12:51:16.18 STC39143 00000094 BPXF024I (racfid)
hello
--
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Emo Philips