z/OS Internet Library Broken (again)
Susan Shumway
2018-06-29 16:21:05 UTC
Thanks for the feedback, all. We just rebuilt the page to remove the tables of links to the individual PDFs. Now, instead, most of the element links point to the main element KC pages, which themselves already contain links to the individual PDFs. What do you think? https://www.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink/svc00100.nsf/pages/zosv2r2-pdf-download

Of course, whatever format we settle on for V2R2, we'll update the V2R1 page to match. Also, this doesn't apply to V2R3 and beyond because those PDFs are sourced from Resource Link instead of the IBM Publications Center, and Resource Link provides its own collection pages.

-Sue Shumway
--
Sue Shumway
z/OS Product Documentation Lead

Mike Hochee
2018-06-29 17:17:26 UTC
Hi Sue,

Thanks for soliciting feedback before implementation. A couple thoughts...

1) The link is supposed to point to a main element KC page for z/OS 2.2 (true?), but a number of the PDF links point to z/OS 2.1 manuals, was this by design?

2) Some of the pdf links refer to manuals where the dates do not match the 'last updated' date value, again by design?

I guess I've become a little jaded. A few months ago, I could go to a z/OS 2.1 or 2.2 elements and features link and confidently gain access to the pdf I was looking for. It was so reliable that doubts about content/version never crept into my head. More recently, I have recently become conditioned to doubt, so the idea of adding a another data element or two into the mix (last updated), and an ease of use grouping (KC/pdf) on the same page, while appealing, also makes me think additional room for error has been introduced into a format that was simpler, yet one that IBM has struggled with lately.

IMO, the problems resulting in numerous errors over the past 1-2 months need to be understood and corrected before changing the UI, even to something representing an improvement.

Mike