FTP JCL EXAMPLE
Add Reply
willie bunter
2017-09-01 15:18:12 UTC
Good Day To All,

I am trying to FTP a dsn of 90 cylinders from one MAINFRAME Lpar to another. The FTP function is unsuccessful because of a space abend.

Would anybody have an example of how to code the space parm in the FTP batch job?

I thought about pre-allocation the dsn on the target LPAR. This works however because of other dsns which will be FTP'd, the size of the dsns are not known because the application batch jobs are run overnight.

I looked at IBM KNOWLEDGE CENTER but I couldn't find anything that would satisfy my requirement.

Here is my batchjob. Please note I blanked out the IP address.

//STEPFTP EXEC PGM=FTP,REGION=4096K,TIME=5,
// PARM='1XX.1XX.XX.XXX
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//OUTPUT DD SYSOUT=*
//INPUT DD *
O00070 PASSWORD
PUT 'O00070.OTTCAUDR.AUDITLOG' +
'O00070.OTTCAUDR.AUDITLOG'
QUIT
/*
//

Thanks.

2017-09-01 15:24:13 UTC
Look up the SITE subcommand. https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.halu001/site.htm Look at CYLinders and so forth.

Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
2017-09-01 15:29:29 UTC
If you're going to be doing that a lot check out my FTPBATCH ISPF dialog that can do the FTP in the foreground or generate batch JCL.

It can be found at www.lbdsoftware.com or in CBTTAPE.ORG file 312

Lionel B. Dyck
Mainframe Systems Programmer - TRA

2017-09-01 15:26:51 UTC
On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 10:19 AM, willie bunter <
Post by willie bunter
Good Day To All,
I am trying to FTP a dsn of 90 cylinders from one MAINFRAME Lpar to
another. The FTP function is unsuccessful because of a space abend.
Would anybody have an example of how to code the space parm in the FTP batch job?
I thought about pre-allocation the dsn on the target LPAR. This works
however because of other dsns which will be FTP'd, the size of the dsns are
not known because the application batch jobs are run overnight.
I looked at IBM KNOWLEDGE CENTER but I couldn't find anything that would
satisfy my requirement.
Here is my batchjob. Please note I blanked out the IP address.
//STEPFTP EXEC PGM=FTP,REGION=4096K,TIME=5,
// PARM='1XX.1XX.XX.XXX
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//OUTPUT DD SYSOUT=*
//INPUT DD *
O00070 PASSWORD
​QUOTE SITE PRI=20 SEC=20 CYL​
Post by willie bunter
PUT 'O00070.OTTCAUDR.AUDITLOG' +
'O00070.OTTCAUDR.AUDITLOG'
QUIT
/*
//
Thanks.
​The QUOTE SITE above is equivalent to SPACE=(CYL,(20,20))​. Of course,
this is a "hard coded" value which may be too large for some DSNs and not
large enough for others. If you need something which "dynamically adjusts"
the values, then you'll need to do more work. FTP itself cannot do this for
you.
--
Caution! The OP is an hyperpolysyllabicsesquipedalianist and this email may
cause stress to those with hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

2017-09-01 15:32:59 UTC
Post by John McKown
If you need something which "dynamically adjusts"
the values, then you'll need to do more work. FTP itself cannot do this for
you.
Yeah, SENDSITE automagically sends the RECFM and so forth but not the space requirements. Go figure.

And I don't think FTP supports RLSE, which would effectively provide appropriate sizing (allocate as large the largest dataset you anticipate transferring; RLSE the excess).

Some very clever use of Rexx might allow you to dynamically build and run an IEFBR14 on the remote site that would allocate the appropriate size.

Craig Pace
2017-09-01 16:07:03 UTC
Allow SMS to do the work for you of releasing the space. Allocate the files using the QUOTE SITE with enough space to handle the largest transfer (plus growth), assign to SMS classes that will release the unused space and then allow SMS to do the work for you during the normal SMS reclaim processing. You will lose space for some time, but not until the data set is deleted.

Craig
________________________________

This communication contains information which is confidential and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), please note that any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and then destroy any copies of it.

willie bunter
2017-09-01 16:13:53 UTC
John,

Thanks for your help. It worked.  Thanks to all who helped me out.

Charlesl,

I will try take a look at the site you suggested.
On Fri, 9/1/17, John McKown <***@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

To: IBM-***@LISTSERV.UA.EDU

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 10:19 AM,
willie bunter <
Post by willie bunter
Good Day To
All,
Post by willie bunter
satisfy my  requirement.
Here is my
batchjob.  Please note I blanked out the IP address.
Post by willie bunter
//STEPFTP  EXEC
PGM=FTP,REGION=4096K,TIME=5,
Post by willie bunter
//
PARM='1XX.1XX.XX.XXX
Post by willie bunter
//SYSPRINT DD
SYSOUT=*
Post by willie bunter
//OUTPUT   DD SYSOUT=*
//INPUT      DD *
  O00070 PASSWORD
​QUOTE SITE PRI=20 SEC=20
CYL​
Post by willie bunter
  PUT 'O00070.OTTCAUDR.AUDITLOG'
+
Post by willie bunter

'O00070.OTTCAUDR.AUDITLOG'
Post by willie bunter

QUIT
Post by willie bunter
/*
//
Thanks.
​The
QUOTE SITE above is equivalent to SPACE=(CYL,(20,20))​. Of
course,
this is a "hard coded"
value which may be too large for some DSNs and not
large enough for others. If you need something
which "dynamically adjusts"
the
values, then you'll need to do more work. FTP itself
cannot do this for
you.

--
Caution!
The OP is an hyperpolysyllabicsesquipedalianist and this
email may
cause stress to those with
hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

Maranatha! <><
John
McKown

For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive
access instructions,
send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu
with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Scott Barry
2017-09-01 16:32:13 UTC
Also, consider the recently added FTP sub-commands MVSPUT and MVSGET, if at z/OS V2R2 or higher -- these commands do supply SPACE attributes and directory-blocks, where required.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.