JES3 Syslog processing
2018-05-08 08:28:20 UTC
Hi

I am from the JES2 shop. Recently we have a new assignment which is JES3
Shop.

Could someone please help me to understand how SYSLOG gets processed in
JES3 sysplex environment.

2018-05-08 14:40:34 UTC
Hi

We are using DLOG,

Is it possible to copy the SYSLOG sysout to a GDG ?

Is there any sample JCL to do that ?
2018-05-08 14:53:07 UTC
Post by Peter
Hi
We are using DLOG,
Is it possible to copy the SYSLOG sysout to a GDG ?
​I would think, from some minor reading, that it would be the same as in
JES2. The SYSLOG is just a SPOOL data set. You can use the IBM standard
external writer. I think the main difference with SYSLOG between JES2 &
JES3 (not sure!) is that the each z/OS image running JES2 has its own,
individual & separate, SYSLOG (I know this is true) whereas with JES3, the
SYSLOG is managed by the global and so is a single SPOOL dataset.​
Post by Peter
Is there any sample JCL to do that ?
​Mine looks like:

//SLGWRT PROC
//* LIB: IPO1.PROCLIB(SLGWRT)
//* GDE: CBIPO MVS CUSTOMIZATION
//* DOC: THIS PROCEDURE EXECUTES THE EXTERNAL WRITER WITH AN OUTPUT
//* CLASS EQUAL TO 'L' .
//*
//IEFPROC EXEC PGM=IASXWR00,
// PARM='PL'
//IEFRDER DD DSN=SYS3.HDCSAV.LWTR,DISP=(MOD,KEEP),
// DCB=(BLKSIZE=4088,LRECL=137,BUFL=4088,BUFNO=5,RECFM=VBA)
Post by Peter
Post by Peter
Hi
I am from the JES2 shop. Recently we have a new assignment which is JES3
Shop.
Could someone please help me to understand how SYSLOG gets processed in
JES3 sysplex environment.
We all have skeletons in our closet.
Mine are so old, they have osteoporosis.

2018-05-08 15:34:35 UTC
Post by Peter
Is there any sample JCL to do that ?
//SLGWRT PROC
//* LIB: IPO1.PROCLIB(SLGWRT)
//* GDE: CBIPO MVS CUSTOMIZATION
//* DOC: THIS PROCEDURE EXECUTES THE EXTERNAL WRITER WITH AN OUTPUT
//* CLASS EQUAL TO 'L' .
//*
//IEFPROC EXEC PGM=IASXWR00,
// PARM='PL'
//IEFRDER DD DSN=SYS3.HDCSAV.LWTR,DISP=(MOD,KEEP),
// DCB=(BLKSIZE=4088,LRECL=137,BUFL=4088,BUFNO=5,RECFM=VBA)
​Rats, clicked on the wrong things. I was going to say that, if you are
able to, it would be a good thing to encourage this shop to go away from
SYSLOG and use OPERLOG instead. I am hoping that they are in a parallel
sysplex and can do so. You can actually use both at the same time. You can
implement OPERLOG on all systems, leaving the SYSLOG active. Over time, you
can remove the SYSLOG on a system by system basis. I think this is wise
mainly because I have had <elided> programmers put some of their SYSOUT in
the class that SYSLOG uses. So I ended up with job output in my SYSLOG
archive. ​And, just to add insult to injury, tey whined about stuff
disappearing from the SPOOL. I am not aware of anything "bad" about using
OPERLOG vs. SYSLOG, other than needing to make some JCL changes to archive
it.

ref:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.ieag300/hclog.htm
ref:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.e0zk100/stepop.htm
(setting up operlog)

IBM does not supply an executable program to copy the OPERLOG to a dataset
(or SYSOUT). However, they do supply a sample program in
SYS1.SAMPLIB(IEAMDBLG) which will do it. This program will work "as is" and
just needs to be assembled into some executable library. You run it using
JCL like:

//OPERLOG EXEC PGM=IEAMDBLG,
// PARM='DELETE(>0),HCFORMAT(CENTURY)'
//STEPLIB DD DSN=some.executable.library,
// DISP=SHR
//SYSLOG DD SYSOUT=*

​Of course, you an change the SYSOUT=* to something like in the previous
procedure in order to write to a dataset instead. This DSN will be VB/132​
unless you change the supplied example above. The above JCL shows how to
write out SYSLOG & delete it as it goes. And it output the 4 digit year.
HCFORMAT(YEAR) will use a 2 digit year. If you leave out the DELETE(...)
portion, the records are not remove from the LOGR dataset and will remain
available. You would likely only use this option if you need a "hard copy"
of the current data on the OPERLOG but don't want to delete it. Personally,
I'd just use SDSF's capability to output the OPERLOG to a dataset. Yes,
SDSF fully supports OPERLOG, as does (E)JES.