System REXX
Tony Thigpen
2017-06-10 08:55:25 UTC
John,

How did your OPS/MVS replacement project go? I am looking at possibly
the same thing.

Tony Thigpen
Thank you for the explanation and reasoning sir!
I supported OPS/MVS in a previous life (loved it), and I am now supporting
NetView automation (love it), so I am lucky to be able to currently work
with "COMMON" variables, which are accessible to any NetView task, very
similar to OPS' Global variables. There is also the concept of NetView
"task" level variables, known only to the specific task. It's good to know
the overhead associated with filesystems is not as bad as "traditional"
datasets, especially the buffering aspects. On a side note, I always
thought you would be a fun guy to work with, based on the things you do!
‚ÄčThank you for the kind words about possibly being "fun to work with". But
this place definitely isn't fun. We're dying ("cloud" sourcing) & I'm
looking. Some of the things that I do are simply because we are, and have
always been, cheap (vs. frugal). So I'm always looking for "zero dollar"
solutions to make my work easier. Part of making my work easier is making
other people's work easier (because then they don't bug me <grin>). I am
"creatively lazy", I guess.
2017-06-10 14:57:41 UTC
It was going fairly well. Then management went full reverse on the
outsourcing. They cancelled the contract. So we are in-sourcing everything
which had been out-sourced. ...
And continuing to operate with antiquated, possibly unsupported software
and hardware? Pay time and materials if support is needed?
So OPS/mvs is staying.