Using B2H to convert HCD Graphic Reports to HTML
Add Reply
Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
2017-07-31 13:05:48 UTC
HCD requires either GDDM or DCF to generate a graphical report - if you don't have GDDM then the report will be in DCF format which requires that you process the report file using DCF to get a usable chart.

That is unless you download, install, and then tailor the b2h utility from http://www.vm.ibm.com/download/packages/descript.cgi?B2H

I had to make a few changes to the rexx exec for use under z/OS (these changes should be easy to find where they should be made):

/* LBD: changed V to v b */
MVSalloc. ='DSORG(PS) LRECL(1024) RECFM(v b) TRACKS SPACE(5,5) RELEASE'
MVSalloc.!trace ='DSORG(PS) LRECL(1024) RECFM(v b) CYLINDERS SPACE(5,5) RELEASE'

when currsys = MVS then do
wrtrec.0=1; wrtrec.1=wrtrec
/* LBD: make sure length does not exceed 1024 as that is the limit of smtp */
/* LBD */ if length(wrtrec.1) > 1024 then do
/* LBD */ wrtrec.0 = 2
/* LBD */ p1 = pos('&',wrtrec.1,1000)
/* LBD */ wrtrec.2 = substr(wrtrec.1,p1)
/* LBD */ wrtrec.1 = left(wrtrec.1,p1=1)
/* LBD */ end
/* LBD */ address TSO "EXECIO * DISKW" DDname.wrtfile "( STEM WRTREC."
/* LBD */ xrc = rc
/* LBD */ if xrc = 1 then wrtk=' output record truncated while'; else wrtk=''
/* LBD */ if xrc \= 0 then call MsgOut !term 317, "RC="rc||wrtk,
"writing to DD="DDname.wrtfile "DSN='"wrtfile"'",
"Record='"wrtrec"'"
/* LBD */ drop wrtrec.
end

Do_SysDsn:
dsnarg=arg(1)
if ?pipe
then pipcmd 'var dsnarg | SYSDSN | buffer | var dsnarg'
/* LBD: add quotes around dsnarg 07-28-2017 */
else dsnarg = SYSDSN("'"dsnarg"'")
return dsnarg

The B2H.SYM file needs to have these records added at the end:

*---- Added by LBD to support HCD Graphic Reports 07/28/2017
:SYM. bx0022 bx0220 V='*'
:SYM. bx0202 bx2020 bx2200 V='|' -- | |
:SYM. bx2002 V='|' -- | |

The symbol for the last 2 should be the vertical solid bar in case the
ebcdic to ascii fails the translation.

The command I then use is:

b2h iodf.report (toc=no noindex quiet title="IODF Report"

turns off table of contents
does not create index
does not generate warning messages for tags that don't end with a period
(as there are several)
sets the title

I then use XMITIP to e-mail the html file to my e-mail account for easy viewing using my browser.

Hope this helps y'all

ymmv

Lionel B. Dyck
Mainframe Systems Programmer - TRA

Timothy Sipples
2017-07-31 15:23:56 UTC
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
HCD requires either GDDM or DCF to generate a graphical report -
if you don't have GDDM then the report will be in DCF format which
requires that you process the report file using DCF to get a usable
chart.
Everybody with a base z/OS license has GDDM. GDDM-PGF and GDDM-REXX are
optional licensed z/OS features, but to my knowledge HCD requires neither.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: ***@sg.ibm.com

Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
2017-07-31 15:29:40 UTC
For HCD option 4: Create or View Graphical Configuration Report

It says:

Output . . . . . . . . 1 1. Write to output data set
2. *View
* = requires GDDM

I'll check into GDDM - wasn't aware the license was included. Good to know.

Lionel B. Dyck
Mainframe Systems Programmer - TRA
Service Operations - Infrastructure Operations
Office of Information and Technology, IT Operations and Services

Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
2017-07-31 16:48:21 UTC
I tried using GDDM and got it working but the display wasn't as easy to use as the HTML charts. Especially since it limited me to a 80 column display (mod 2/3/4) and wouldn't work on a mod 5 or custom (larger) display.

The HTML reports from B2H look very adequate and are more usable (imho).

But it was good to know that GDDM is available should a need arise for it.

2017-08-01 00:28:29 UTC
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
I tried using GDDM and got it working but the display wasn't as easy to use as the HTML charts. Especially since it limited me to a 80 column display (mod 2/3/4) and wouldn't work on a mod 5 or custom (larger) display.
Is this functionally stabilized? Sounds that way.

For character cell displays, Curses is old but extremely flexible. It appears not
to have been architected for a fixed or even static display geometry. Many
327x APIs expose too much device characteristic to the application.

Timothy Sipples
2017-08-01 04:18:33 UTC
Post by Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA
But it was good to know that GDDM is available should a need arise
for it.
Glad to help! For some reason a lot of z/OS shops don't know that they have
all the base GDDM features, but they do.

I don't think it's necessarily either/or. HCD's GDDM path can be useful for
a "quick view," and the HTML path you outlined is useful for more
generalized use. Thanks for that B2H tip and z/OS REXX tweaks.

Timothy Sipples
2017-08-01 04:31:26 UTC
​There are _NO_ connections to z/OS even from internal boxes. When files
need to be transferred, they are written from z/OS to the appropriate,
internal, FTP server.
So there are no connections, but there are connections. With bulk transfers
of personal healthcare data with no granular security context preserved, I
assume. As Mr. Spock used to say, "Fascinating."

The modern (and not so modern) reality is that "internal" networks are
being penetrated all the time, and "internal" servers (and other devices)
are getting pwned all the time. "Maginot Line" approaches no longer work,
if they ever did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maginot_Line

Defense in depth is really, really important. This isn't the time for
complacency, I'm afraid.

Yes, I'm aware that there are some individuals in management who, on
occasion, act like Frank Drebin:

It's still important to explain the risks and document them.

2017-08-01 12:23:35 UTC
Post by Timothy Sipples
​There are _NO_ connections to z/OS even from internal boxes. When files
need to be transferred, they are written from z/OS to the appropriate,
internal, FTP server.
So there are no connections, but there are connections. With bulk transfers
of personal healthcare data with no granular security context preserved, I
assume. As Mr. Spock used to say, "Fascinating."
The modern (and not so modern) reality is that "internal" networks are
being penetrated all the time, and "internal" servers (and other devices)
are getting pwned all the time. "Maginot Line" approaches no longer work,
if they ever did.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maginot_Line
Defense in depth is really, really important. This isn't the time for
complacency, I'm afraid.
Yes, I'm aware that there are some individuals in management who, on
http://youtu.be/pdFl__NlOpA
It's still important to explain the risks and document them.
​Yes. And hopefully the ones whose job this is are doing that. I'm a z/OS
sysprog who has been "impressed" (in the British nautical sense) with doing
some RACF work. But I don't make policy. I just try to enforce it.​ I'm not
in any kind of position to even speak to those "in the know".
--
Veni, Vidi, VISA: I came, I saw, I did a little shopping.