I am getting IEW2606S in HEWL despite the fact that the target library IS PDSE
2017-09-04 04:53:46 UTC
I tried to reformat this so it is easier to read. One thing I do is place a couple of blanks at the beginning of the line when I have a list I am producing. It sometimes help to keep the lines individual rather than mashed together.

Let me know if I incorrectly formatted the Options or LKED JCL.

Behalf Of Ze'ev Atlas
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2017 8:34 PM
Subject: I am getting IEW2606S in HEWL despite the fact that the target
library IS PDSE
Hi allI am compiling and linking a bunch of C programs using ZOS V2.2 z/OS XL
C and z/OS V2 R2 BINDER. Most compile and link without any issue despite the
fact that I have and use longnames. I am getting IEW2606S in HEWL for three
of these programs despite the fact that the target library IS PDSE. Please
see if you have any clue why would that happen IEW2606S 4B39 MODULE
INCORPORATES VERSION 3 PROGRAM OBJECT FEATURES AND CANNOT BE SAVED IN LOAD
MODULE FORMAT.
I use the same options for all the programs.
Compile options:
*NOGONUMBER
*NOALIAS
*NORENT
*TERMINAL
*NOUPCONV
*SOURCE
*NOLIST
*NOXREF
*NOAGG
*NOPPONLY
*NOEXPMAC
*NOSHOWINC
*NOOFFSET
*MEMORY
*S
SCOMM
*NOSHOWMACROS
*SKIPSRC(SHOW)
*NOREPORT
*NOMAKEDEP
*PREFETCH
*THREADED
*LONGNAME
*START
*EXECOPS
*ARGPARSE
*NOEXPO
RTALL
*NODLL(NOCALLBACKANY
*NOLIBANSI
*NOWSIZEOF
*REDIR
*ANSIALIAS
*DIG
RAPH
*NOROCONST
*ROSTRIN
*TUNE(8)
*ARCH(8)
*SPILL(128)
*MAXMEM(2097152)
*NOCOMPACT
*TARGET(LE,CURRENT)
*FLAG(I)
*NOTEST(SYM,BLOCK,LINE,PATH,HOOK)
*NOOPTIM
*NOINLINE(AUTO,NOREPORT,100,1000)
*NESTINC(255)
*BITFIELD(UNSIGNED)
*NOINFO
*NODFP
*NOVECTOR
*FLOAT(HEX,FOLD,NO
MAF,AFP(NOVOLATILE))
*STRICT
*NOCOMPRES
*NOSTRICT_INDUCTION
*AGGRCOPY(NOOVERLAP)
*CHARS(UNSIGNED)
*NOIGNERR
NO
*NOINI
TAUTO
*CSECT(CONVERT2)
*NOEVENTS
*ASSERT(RESTRICT)
*NORESTRICT
*OBJECT
*NOGENASM
*OPTFILE(DD:OPTFILE)
*NOSERVICE
*NOOE
*NOIPA
*SEARCH(//'CEE.SCEEH.+')
*NOLSEARCH
*NOLOCALE
*HALT(16)
*PLIST(HOST)
*NOCONVLIT
*NOASCII
*GOFF
*ILP32
*NOWARN64
*NOHGPR
*NOHOT
*NOMETAL
*NOARMOD
*NOXPLINK(NOBACKCHAIN,NOSTOREARGS,NOCALLBACK,GUARD,OSCALL(NOSTACK))
*ENUMSIZE(SMALL)
*NOHALTONMSG
*NOSUPPRESS
*NORTCHECK
*NODEBUG
*NOSQL
*NOCICS
*UNROLL(AUTO)
*KEYWORD()
*NOKEYWORD(asm,typeof)
*NOSEVERITY
*NODSAUSER
*NOINCLUDE
*NOSMP
*SYSSTATE(NOASCENV,OSREL(NONE))
*NOFUNCEVENT
*NOASM
*NOASMLIB

DEFINE(HAVE_CONFIGH=1)
DEFINE(HAVE_STDINT_H=1)
DEFINE(_XOPEN_SOURCE=1)
DEFINE(_POSIX_SOURCE=1)
UNDEFINE(__cplusplus)
DEFINE(PCRE2_CODE_UNIT_WIDTH=8)
DEFINE(NATIVE_ZOS=1)
DEFINE(EBCDIC=1)
UNDEFINE(SUPPORT_JIT)
UNDEFINE(NATIVE_ZOS_POSIX)

The linkage step looks like:
XX*------------------------------------------------------------------
XX* LINKEDIT STEP:
XX*------------------------------------------------------------------
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - UNIT=SYSALLDA,SPACE=(32000,(30,30)),DCB=(
//USERLIB DD DSN=&PCREHLQ..&PCREMLQ..&PCRESRC,DISP=SHR
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - DSN=ZATLAS1.PCRE2.SRCE,DISP=SHR
//COMPILE.SYSCRPT DD SYSOUT=*
//OPTFILE DD DSN=&PCREHLQ..&PCREMLQ..&PCREJCL(OPTFILE),DISP=SHR
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - DSN=ZATLAS1.PCRE2.JCLLIB(OPTFILE),DISP=SHR
XXLKED EXEC PGM=HEWL,COND=(4,LT,COMPILE),REGION=&LREGSIZ,PARM='&LPARM'
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - PGM=HEWL,COND=(4,LT,COMPILE),REGION=1024K
//LKED.SYSLIB DD
X/SYSLIB DD DSNAME=&LIBPRFX..SCEELKED,DISP=SHR
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - DSNAME=CEE.SCEELKED,DISP=SHR
// DD DSN=&PCREHLQ..&PCREMLQ..&PCRELOAD,DISP=SHR
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - DSN=ZATLAS1.PCRE2.LOADLIB,DISP=SHR
XXSYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
XXSYSLIN DD DSNAME=*.COMPILE.SYSLIN,DISP=(OLD,DELETE)
ZZ DD DDNAME=SYSIN
XXSYSLMOD DD DSNAME=&OUTFILE
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - DSNAME=&&GSET(GO),DISP=(MOD,PASS),SPACE=(XXSYSUT1
DD UNIT=&TUNIT.,SPACE=&TSPACE.
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - UNIT=SYSALLDA,SPACE=(32000,(30,30))
//SYSIN DD DSN=&PCREHLQ..&PCREMLQ..&PCREPRM(&MEMBER),DISP=SHR
IEFC653I SUBSTITUTION JCL - DSN=ZATLAS1.PCRE2.CNTLLIB(CONVERT2),DISP=SHR
X/SYSIN DD DUMMY

with a bunch of include statements:

BATCH EMULATOR JOB(ZATLAS1C) STEP(STEP16 ) PGM=
HEWL PROCEDURE(LKED )
IEW2278I B352 INVOCATION PARAMETERS -
AMODE=31,MAP IEW2322I 1220 1 INCLUDE
SYSLIB(STRINGU2) IEW2322I
1220 2 INCLUDE
SYSLIB(CONTEXT2)
IEW2606S 4B39 MODULE INCORPORATES VERSION 3 PROGRAM OBJECT FEATURES AND CANNOT

Ze'ev Atlas

David Crayford
2017-09-04 05:00:37 UTC
Good job Lizette!

Is the SYSLMOD output data set a PDSE? I can't see a DSNTYPE=LIBRARY in
the JCL.
Wayne Bickerdike
2017-09-04 05:49:18 UTC
Dave has identified the problem. SYSLMOD needs DSNTYPE=LIBRARY.

If you use SCLM, the supplied linkedit language definition also lacks
DSNTYPE=LIBRARY.

IBM are a bit amiss here because SCLM uses an intermediate load library to
copy the resultant load module and this defaults to a PDS.

Took me a few days to work this out.

2017-09-04 14:49:34 UTC
Post by Wayne Bickerdike
Dave has identified the problem. SYSLMOD needs DSNTYPE=LIBRARY.
If you use SCLM, the supplied linkedit language definition also lacks
DSNTYPE=LIBRARY.
IBM are a bit amiss here because SCLM uses an intermediate load library to
copy the resultant load module and this defaults to a PDS.
Took me a few days to work this out.
"... a bit amiss ..." ==> SR, IMO.

But SCLM users haven't cared. And IBM doesn't care about costing
customers "a few days", each.

If IBM deems program object support in SCLM RFE-worthy, then shame on IBM.

Ze'ev Atlas
2017-09-04 19:26:34 UTC
AppologyMy bug is obvious, my syslmod is a temp library Ze'ev Atlas

2017-09-04 20:00:57 UTC
Post by Ze'ev Atlas
AppologyMy bug is obvious, my syslmod is a temp library Ze'ev Atlas
I believe that temporary PDSEs are supported nowadays (by z/OS, not
necessarily by SCLM). Would SMS rules help?

Wayne Bickerdike
2017-09-04 20:50:05 UTC
SCLM supports a temp PDSE but IBM supplied default is PDS.

Found out while testing the V5 compiler when binder returned the IEW2606S
message.