Release calendar format
2018-01-11 15:35:30 UTC
Hi

Is anyone following a standard release calendar format for the Mainframe
activity in your shop ?

If so would you be willing.to share that template ?

Regards

2018-01-11 16:21:17 UTC
I am not using a template. When fixes are available, we either install them on a 6 month (sometimes) cycle.

Or if the fix is urgent, then schedule sooner.

A majority of our fixes are done without an IPL, so they are mostly dynamic. Our change tickets detail the changes going in and what actions are required

If your shop wants to schedule fixes based on a cycle, you may need to create one.

Every shop I have worked at as a system programmer has not used any templates. Only gaged when changes needed to go in

Behalf Of Peter
Carmen Vitullo
2018-01-11 16:56:14 UTC
Working for a outsourcer some years back, some of out clients dictated our downtime schedule one year in advance, for the most part I always knew what weekends or times to stay away from.
I scheduled maint based on a 6 month cycle most of the time, unless like Lizette stated, there was a hyper or a need to a PTF to fix an issue.

Carmen Vitullo

Tim Hare
2018-01-16 16:27:02 UTC
If you need to publish calendar information for others to use, I suggest using your PC/Mac calendar tool and publishing the calendar in .ics format (icalendar, RFC 5545). In Outlook you can publish to a WebDAV server or export to a file (or share via e-mail). Put that file on your web server, and send people the URL to the file. In most calendar programs (including on phones!) you can subscribe to a 'Internet calendar' (Outlook's term). When you've subscribed, your application periodically downloads a new copy of the file.

I use Outlook. We create an icalendar file using some SAS code for some things, and store it on our mainframe web server, and Outlook subscribes to it (for what you're doing, the mainframe might be optional). Outlook downloads a new copy every time it checks the mail. These files are pretty much text only so download cost is small. The Internet calendar appears as a separate calendar in Outlook, I can choose to view it as a separate tab, or in 'overlay mode' where Outlook shows me a combined view.

The main advantage of doing it this way is that you don't have to format anything - you have a calendar UI right there in Outlook. You can choose to look at a week at a time, a month, or whatever your calendar UI supports. You can search the calendar too.

I guess my main point is, don't do a lot of work inventing a calendar format, when the "unformatted" data can be viewed in so many ways by existing tools