LMDLIST GROUP option question - How to change/override UNIT(SYSDA)?
Add Reply
Farley, Peter x23353
2017-11-30 18:02:28 UTC
Hi All,

I am using the LMDLIST service with the GROUP option in ISPF to save a list of certain datasets. The GROUP option saves the list to a dataset with name &PREFIX.group-value.DATASETS, but it uses UNIT(SYSDA) to create this dataset.

Is there a way to change the UNIT used by ISPF LMDLIST to a different esoteric unit value? SYSDA here allocates to a storage pool on WORKxx volumes where datasets are deleted in a very short time (usually just a few minutes, sometimes less). We programmers use a different unit esoteric to create permanent datasets in a different storage pool, and I need LMDLIST to use that testing unit esoteric in place of SYSDA.

TIA for any help or RTFM you can provide.

2017-11-30 18:49:34 UTC
First: If you are not aware there is an ISPF List

If you have not joined, here is the URL do to that: ISPF
https://listserv.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=ispf-l

Next, I would suspect your ACS routines are directing the dataset due to the
name to that pool.

I would check there to see if you might be redirected through SMS. If it is,
then you might need to bribe your Stg Admin to put in code so your .DATASETS
datasets go somewhere else.

Otherwise, the next place to look is in the ISPF configuration process. That
could have the .DATASETS going to SYSDA

Behalf Of Farley, Peter x23353
2017-11-30 18:55:28 UTC
So what does this process do? Perhaps there might be another way to do what you
need (NAVIQUEST for SMS for example comes with DFSMS)

Or you might do a copy of the .DATASETS file before ending your process to a
dataset that goes where you want it to go.

Behalf Of Lizette Koehler
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2017 11:51 AM
Subject: Re: LMDLIST GROUP option question - How to change/override
UNIT(SYSDA)?
First: If you are not aware there is an ISPF List
If you have not joined, here is the URL do to that: ISPF
https://listserv.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=ispf-l
Next, I would suspect your ACS routines are directing the dataset due to the
name to that pool.
I would check there to see if you might be redirected through SMS. If it is,
then you might need to bribe your Stg Admin to put in code so your .DATASETS
datasets go somewhere else.
Otherwise, the next place to look is in the ISPF configuration process. That
could have the .DATASETS going to SYSDA
On Behalf Of Farley, Peter x23353
Farley, Peter x23353
2017-11-30 19:18:39 UTC
Actually I found a way around the issue - I pre-allocated the DATASETS file to the right storage pool and it was used by LMDLIST with no complaints or issues.

The process is just a little one-off for a manager - nothing long-term or permanent.

Thanks for your help.

Farley, Peter x23353
2017-11-30 19:14:21 UTC
Thanks Lizette, yes I am already a member of ISPF-L, but it has been pretty thin lately so I thought I might get more help here. But you're correct, I should have at least CC'd ISPF-L with the same question and I will do that.

As for the ISPF configuration process, I am an application programmer with no access or authority to adjust (or even browse in some cases like PARMLIB settings) configuration stuff. And getting sysprog help is more than a bit of trouble due to contractual arrangements way above my pay grade.

I was hoping there might be an ISPF user profile setting somewhere that ISPF uses for this allocation that I could override or change. Haven't found any such so far.

2017-11-30 18:59:36 UTC
Post by Farley, Peter x23353
I am using the LMDLIST service with the GROUP option in ISPF to save a list of certain datasets. The GROUP option saves the list to a dataset with name &PREFIX.group-value.DATASETS, but it uses UNIT(SYSDA) to create this dataset.
Is there a way to change the UNIT used by ISPF LMDLIST to a different esoteric unit value? SYSDA here allocates to a storage pool on WORKxx volumes where datasets are deleted in a very short time (usually just a few minutes, sometimes less). We programmers use a different unit esoteric to create permanent datasets in a different storage pool, and I need LMDLIST to use that testing unit esoteric in place of SYSDA.
TIA for any help or RTFM you can provide.
SYSDA? SYSALLDA? Whatever.

"Using Data Sets" mentions SYSDA only in examples; SYSALLDA not at all.

JCL Ref. mentions SYSDA only in examples, and:
SYSALLDA: IBM assigned group-names include SYSALLDA, which
contains all direct access devices defined to the system.

What does IBM recommend? (Perhaps in Init/Config/Admin?)

Aren't there better ways of allocating temporary data sets than by
relying on esoteric names? SMS guidelines?

(My site once genned a (never online) tape address in SYSALLDA.)

Farley, Peter x23353
2017-11-30 19:22:16 UTC
Gil,

The problem here was that the allocation is "under the covers" somewhere in the LMDLIST service, and all I could see was the resulting allocation to the "WORKxx" storage pool. No LMDLIST parameters to affect the allocation method are mentioned in the FM.

Pre-allocating the dataset before executing LMDLIST solved the problem.

Hank Oerlemans
2017-11-30 22:07:41 UTC
Been too long but the UNIT is either from the ISPF configuration table OR TSO segment.
I suspect the former judging from a ISPVCALL trace.

You could use ISPCCONF to build your own ISPF config module and TSOLIB/STEPLIB to it but If you don't have even that much control over your environment you'll need to annoy the sysprogs to get a change made.

Cheers Hank

Farley, Peter x23353
2017-11-30 22:14:55 UTC
Thanks Hank, I appreciate the pointers to possible locations for the UNIT specification. However, since pre-allocating the file solved my immediate (and very short-term) issue, I am not pursuing this any further.

retired mainframer
2017-12-01 00:07:01 UTC
Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2017 11:01 AM
UNIT(SYSDA)?
Post by Farley, Peter x23353
TIA for any help or RTFM you can provide.
Aren't there better ways of allocating temporary data sets than by
relying on esoteric names? SMS guidelines?
It's not a temporary dataset as SMS and JCL use the term.

2017-11-30 22:15:55 UTC
Peter, I think you found the best (maybe only) solution available to a non-admin person. Fortunately ISPF is good about finding an existing data set and using it, thus avoiding the pesky problem of where to create a new one.

As Lizette mentioned, there is an ISPF Configuration Utility that allows an installation to specify all kinds of values and defaults. One of these is 'PDF_DEFAULT_UNIT', which we happen to set to 'SYSALLDA'. (This esoteric, by the way, is provided by z/OS. It automatically includes every DASD unit. By contrast, an esoteric like 'SYSDA', if defined, has to be explicitly specified in the IODF for every unit the installation wants included.)

Beyond ISPF Config settings, however, are SMS and ACS, which can override other default settings. An application programmer has no influence over such settings other than finding out what brand of whiskey the storage administrator prefers. ;-)

Chris Bowen
2017-12-01 17:07:02 UTC
The OP has a satisfactory solution for his problem.

However, for the record, it somewhat resembles a problem we experienced recently.

For new-ish TSO users ISPF allocated datasets started turning up on volumes where they were not wanted. (More comprehensive SMS management is something I hope that we will get to one day.)

Anyway, the colleague who resolved the issue reported that "In RACF old users had UNIT for TSO set as SYSDA while newer users have UNIT set as SYSALLDA."

At this point I should mention that I'm _not_ a RACF person.

Perhaps this might be useful to somebody searching the archives in the future.

Chris Bowen
Macro 4
A Division of Unicom Global