SUBVERSION for Mainframe code
2017-10-09 14:43:34 UTC
Hello

Has anyone used Subversion as their source control tool for mainframe code?
I'm assuming that you can't install SVN on the mainframe but I was
wondering if there was another way to use it and check out the code to the
mainframe ?

Regards

Jack J. Woehr
2017-10-09 15:01:48 UTC
Post by Peter
Has anyone used Subversion as their source control tool for mainframe code?
I'm assuming that you can't install SVN on the mainframe but I was
wondering if there was another way to use it and check out the code to the
mainframe ?
SVN can run under USS.
--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe

scott Ford
2017-10-09 15:17:12 UTC
We use - GIT the Jenkins with a CI interface..

Scott
Post by Peter
I'm assuming that you can't install SVN on the mainframe but I was
wondering if there was another way to use it and check out the code to
the
Post by Peter
mainframe ?
SVN can run under USS.
--
Jack J. Woehr # Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of
www.well.com/~jax # thinking, a way of skeptically interrogating the universe
www.softwoehr.com # with a fine understanding of human fallibility. - Carl Sagan
Scott Ford
IDMWORKS
z/OS Development

David Crayford
2017-10-10 02:54:20 UTC
Post by scott Ford
We use - GIT the Jenkins with a CI interface..
That's interesting. IIRC, your application is written in COBOL. Do you
build your COBOL programs in z/OS Unix? If so how do you handle copybooks?

What Jenkins plugin do you use for z/OS integration? We use Jenkins but
not for z/OS applications because we would have to write a custom plugin
and it's not worth
the effort just yet. We do use git on z/OS and it's significantly
improved our workflow.
Post by scott Ford
Scott
Post by Peter
I'm assuming that you can't install SVN on the mainframe but I was
wondering if there was another way to use it and check out the code to
the
Post by Peter
mainframe ?
SVN can run under USS.
scott Ford
Beverly Caldwell
2017-10-09 16:40:13 UTC
Post by Beverly Caldwell
I use a source code control tool called RACF. It actually comes with z/OS.
Pretty effective too.
​An interesting view. RACF does indeed allow you to control __access__ to
the source code. But it does not keep "backup versions" of source code
modules. That is the meaning of "source code control" in this context. I,
personally, find SCM (Software Configuration Management) to be a better
​name ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_configuration_management )
--
I just child proofed my house.
But the kids still manage to get in.

Pew, Curtis G
2017-10-09 15:46:54 UTC
Post by Peter
Has anyone used Subversion as their source control tool for mainframe code?
I'm assuming that you can't install SVN on the mainframe but I was
wondering if there was another way to use it and check out the code to the
mainframe ?
I used to, but I did it by FTP’ing files to and from my workstation and running svn there. It was difficult to keep everything up-to-date. A while back I converted the repository to git and downloaded Rocket’s port of git. This makes things a lot easier, and I much prefer git over svn anyway.
--
Pew, Curtis G
***@austin.utexas.edu

2017-10-09 19:28:49 UTC
Post by Beverly Caldwell
I use a source code control tool called RACF. It actually comes with z/OS.
Pretty effective too.
???

A feature of RACF I was unaware of. What's its user interface?

2017-10-10 03:41:38 UTC
Post by David Crayford
Post by scott Ford
We use - GIT the Jenkins with a CI interface..
That's interesting. IIRC, your application is written in COBOL. Do you
build your COBOL programs in z/OS Unix? If so how do you handle copybooks?
BPAM supports mixed concatenations of UNIX directories, PDSE, and PDS. HLASM
SYSLIB employs this nicely; transparently (showing UNIX paths in the Macro and
Copy Code Summary). (After IBM fixed a couple bad SRs for me.) Member names
must be <= 8 bytes; majuscule; PDS member rules. Binder does RYO access to
UNIX directories; less restriction on member names; concatenation not supported.

Don't know what COBOL does.

Rexx doesn't support UNIX directories in SYSEXEC. (That's how IBM answered
my SR. I use them anyway, tolerating sporadic innocuous(!?) ABENDs and putting
an empty temp PDS first to satisfy a silly requirement that the first catenand
have DSORG=PO.)