does anyone remember a program called BLKTAPE?
Mark Waterbury
2018-08-17 22:34:11 UTC
I recently was given a tape image of a tape made on VM/370 circa 1977 or so ... and looking at the tape image with AWSBrowse it looks "similar to" a CMS TAPE DUMP or VMFPLC2 DUMP ... but it's not ...
It has similar looking headers for each file, but instead of fixed length records, it has variable length records for many (but not all) of the files on the tape ...
I recall hearing of a program used back in the day to cram more data onto a single 9-track reel, called BLKTAPE ...
Does anyone have a copy of that old program or know where to find it?  Perhaps I can give it a try to see if it can process this tape.
Thanks in advance.
Mark S. Waterbury

2018-08-18 00:07:36 UTC
Do you have a record layout of what the resulting file should be?
I.E. Fixed length fields?
I would look for short binary lengths at the start of the record, then
blank trimmed fields after that. Would need to copy field by field
the number of bytes in the length field.

Phil Smith III
2018-08-18 02:20:51 UTC
Post by Mark Waterbury
I recently was given a tape image of a tape made on VM/370 circa 1977 or so ... and looking at the tape image with AWSBrowse it looks "similar to" a CMS TAPE DUMP or VMFPLC2 DUMP ... but it's not ...
It has similar looking headers for each file, but instead of fixed length records, it has variable length records for many (but not all) of the files on the tape ...
I recall hearing of a program used back in the day to cram more data onto a single 9-track reel, called BLKTAPE ...
Does anyone have a copy of that old program or know where to find it? Perhaps I can give it a try to see if it can process this tape.
Thanks in advance.
Boy, that brings back memories! I remember the name, but not the details. But I think it might have been BLOCKTAP rather than BLKTAPE. Maybe http://www.vmworkshop.org/HENSLER/ ? It has BLOCKTAP, also TBROWSE. If you can read the data, you might could figure out how to reformat it. I might do a MOVEFILE just to get the data, then look at it in more detail.

Not sure this helps.!

.phsiii