VSAM Catalog Entries and no Disk Device & VVDS
Add Reply
Rodatz, William J
2017-09-26 15:36:47 UTC
Hi Everyone,

I have encountered some VSAM catalog entries that are associated with a disk volume that no longer exists. I would imagine someone reinitialized the device without first moving the datasets. In this case, there is no physical device and no VVDS. I have made many attempts to remove the catalog entries but each attempt results in an allocation of the missing device. Has anyone successfully removed VSAM catalog entries under these circumstances?

Thank you!

Bill

Allan Staller
2017-09-26 15:41:50 UTC
DEL 'entryname' NSCR
Or
DEL 'vvdsname' NSCR

I have encountered some VSAM catalog entries that are associated with a disk volume that no longer exists. I would imagine someone reinitialized the device without first moving the datasets. In this case, there is no physical device and no VVDS. I have made many attempts to remove the catalog entries but each attempt results in an allocation of the missing device. Has anyone successfully removed VSAM catalog entries under these circumstances?

Thank you!

Bill

::DISCLAIMER::

2017-09-26 15:43:10 UTC
If all that is left is a catalog entry, then check out the DEL vsam with NVR
or Truename parms

Lizette
Rodatz, William J