IEFPRMLB Service - Where did it find the member
Add Reply
Andrew Metcalfe
2017-12-23 22:10:12 UTC
Hi folks

I have an application which is using the IEFPRMLB service to read a member from the logical parmlib concatenation. Because of existing controls/governance, the parmlib concatenation is the most appropriate place to house this member. I have a symbol that represents the dataset that I expect the member to be retrieved from, but I would like to check/compare which dataset it really came from. There may be circumstances when it is acceptable for the member to be higher up in the concatenation.

If the member is retrieved from a dataset other than the one I am expecting, I am happy to allow it on confirmation from Operations.
I have been experimenting with the message buffers etc. for IEFPRMLB but I cannot seem to get the access to the IEF252I message that is issued to inform which parmlib dataset contained the member.

Has anyone dabbled in this area?

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew Metcalfe
2017-12-24 10:28:19 UTC
It seems I skipped over the bit in the manual that tells me exactly what to do for non-error messages (build SVC99 RB).
Must RTFM properly in future :)
Andrew

Peter Relson
2017-12-24 13:34:25 UTC
We are considering enhancing IEFPRMLB in the future to provide the
dataset-where-found as an optional output. That won't help anyone who
needs it now, however.

I believe that the messages returned by RETMSG=YES,MSGBUF=m are only ones
pertaining to allocation problems, not to success, so there likely is no
access to IEF252I through the service.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design