Graphic output on the mainframe
Add Reply
Bernd Oppolzer
2017-11-27 08:22:50 UTC
BTW, this was very helpful for me, being the lead developer (first: the
only)
of those technical applications. Before GKS, I had to wait a long time
before the
plotter was ready and I wasted much time and many sheets of paper during
testing.

With GKS, I could look at the results immediately after the test run on my
3279 G display. It was possible to zoom in and inspect the details (if
the graphic
elements are in the right place etc.).

I did speed computations for the public transport system (subway trains);
the output (driving diagrams, speed and time related to location) was shown
graphically. And graphic timetables (showing all traffic of one subway line
on one large sheet of paper). Both applications were heavily used by the
different planning departments.

Kind regards

Bernd
We used GDDM and 3279 G (IIRC) displays to do preview of our
plotter outputs (which were to pe printed on big electrostatic Calcomp
plotters in the end).
The (most technical) software was written in Pascal and Fortran and
built the output using a graphic software which was called GKS (graphic
kernel system). GKS had two adapters, one for the Calcomp plotter and
one for GDDM, so the output (GKS metafile) could be plotted and shown
at the display station at the same time. Later we added an adapter to
HPGL (HP graphics language) and bought some HP plotters.
This was in the 1985 to 1995 time frame. After that, the applications
moved
off the mainframe, to Unix workstations.
IIRC, some other companies here in Germany (car manufacturers) did
similar
things, in the same time frame. There were even some CAD like systems
running on the mainframe.
Kind regards
Bernd
What is "GDDM graphics", APA or PSS?
Greg Price
2017-11-27 14:16:24 UTC
run on my 3279 G display
And this time I'll get straight to the point.

I would pay money for a 3179-G manual.

Why?

Because while using programmed symbols is documented in a current
manual, using 3270 vector graphics is not.

It used to be documented in the relevant hardware component manuals, but
since those pieces of hardware are no longer marketed, the manuals have
disappeared.

So how would TN3270 client writers figure out how to support vector
graphics? Probably with a lot of VTAM traces of GDDM applications' TPUT
traffic.

Anyway, just sayin'.

BTW, did I mention that after 10 years, I'm out of IBM since the end of
last August? I wonder if they didn't think I was trendy or "with it"
enough. With my interest in bleeding edge technologies like 3270
graphics, that can't be right. Never mind blockchain - I say let's
think block-mode terminals!

:/

Cheers,
Greg